Moved/Split from Jemapela's "Looking for model" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
student said:
One may disagree with him on issues like openness etc. One may not like his style of imagery. One is also entltled to feel that in this "recruitment" the model may be at the "raw" end. Fair enough. But these should not be reasons to challenge his photography.

I'd agree on the most part. But sometimes, one just begs to know what lies behind a bold claim and a sharp tongue.

Apparently I see nothing "open" nor "liberal" in his images unless those 2 terms only specifically apply to the lack of apparel on a model.

student said:
Personally, I find "challenging" another person "works" to be uncalled for, and in my view, juvenile.

Taste is highly subjective and personal. Whether one likes another's images is immaterial. Whether one has any exhibitions to his credit is irrelevant.

I recalled a certain member of this forum who criticised others whose images that are out of focus and showing abstracts as "not art" (implication). Of course this particular member have absolutely no idea of great masters like Ralph Gibson and Bill Brandt.

Jemapela had merely tried to recruit models for his kind of photography. I think he made his terms very clear. The models are of age, and have a right to decide for themselves if the terms are acceptable to them.

One may disagree with him on issues like openness etc. One may not like his style of imagery. One is also entltled to feel that in this "recruitment" the model may be at the "raw" end. Fair enough. But these should not be reasons to challenge his photography.

I totally agree with your opinions.

Success should never be measured by the number of exhibitions. I, or any other photographer, don't need any public exhibition to prove anything. Many photographers around the world, even here in Australia, never exhibited, but produce work which interest models or customers. Somehow, some people seem engrossed in this "exhibition" thing.

Student, I think this particular post you made indicates a lot about your understanding of my intentions and what I hope to achieve.

Good thinking on you. Really. :thumbsup:

Cheesecake said:
hi jem

just visited ur website. read some of ur insights from 'Unsuitable For Your Viewing'.
its a very good read with some exciting personal views on Singapore and Singaporeans.

as for nude models, most of the time one have to pay for their services. i remember my former school, LASALLE-SIA, paying the models for their services even though they might be back-packers etc.

i'm afraid that u should be prepared to pay for such services.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Yes, I'm aware that its reasonable that I should pay to do nude photography. However, many seem to miss the points that I'm sponsoring the trip and the apparel. Basically, it's a TFCD but it has some form of payment although not in cash but in kind.

I pay for nudes in Melbourne, and I have paid backpackers as well.

Zerstorer said:
I'd agree on the most part. But sometimes, one just begs to know what lies behind a bold claim and a sharp tongue.

Apparently I see nothing "open" nor "liberal" in his images unless those 2 terms only specifically apply to the lack of apparel on a model.

Behind a bold claim and a sharp tongue is a plan I hope to execute and a nice personality. There is a reason why I wrote my words in such a harsh or strong tone. I will explain that in a separate post. Some people may have already guessed why.

There are 2 good reasons why you see nothing extremely exciting and arousing on the website. (I'm so sorry to disappoint you.)

1) I chose not to display those images which I think could cause serious offence. It's very easy for a conservative visitor to browse my web and quickly pass a simplistic judgement that I must a pervert or criminal to shoot nude, fetish, S/M, or taboo images. Hence, they are either absent or kept minimal.

2) Not every model wants to be published and famous. Hence, I applied a broad policy not to show these images openly. I wrote words to describe the themes/genres I do, and if interested, models and customers can be view my work privately.

It's what you don't see that is more significant.

Jemapela said:
Success should never be measured by the number of exhibitions. I, or any other photographer, don't need any public exhibition to prove anything. Many photographers around the world, even here in Australia, never exhibited, but produce work which interest models or customers. Somehow, some people seem engrossed in this "exhibition" thing.

If reading the threads of photo forums is any guide, exhibitions seem to be an important part of photographic acitivities in Singapore.

Even some of the professionals are involved in them to promote their photography resulting with assignments from new clients. Maybe the country is geographically small and compact and easier for people to get to the exhibitions.

Large format prints in the exhibition easily beat what we see in a magazines or on the web in impact (even if the models are fully clothed :bsmilie: )

Jemapela said:
There are 2 good reasons why you see nothing extremely exciting and arousing on the website. (I'm so sorry to disappoint you.)

I wasn't looking for arousement. That can be had aplenty in many other websites. What I sought for was the touch of creativity, boldness of ideas and concept and the willingness to challenge accepted norms or simply strongly formed techniques in your existing images.

I must say that I found none of those attributes in your existing work which you have chosen to display. I do sincerely hope that you have better stuff stowed away.

Rgds.

The harsh words in my "recruitment" has some purpose, and I find it quite effective.

I'm actually following how Aussies write their job ads (although I'm going overboard here).

Still, allow me to explain this tactic.

I make my expectations of models and ideas VERY CLEAR. Models who read my "recruitment" will get a VERY CLEAR picture of what I expect of them, and what I want them to do. This erases ALMOST ALL ambiguity, and reduces false cries of "tricked" or "conned".

The choice of my words has an effect of filtering in only responses from the very rare few models with the BIGGER EGO, THICKER SKIN, STRONGER COURAGE, WILDER ATTITUDE, etc etc. (not literally but you get the idea).

It works, and it's quite effective.

It's really simple. Models who surely know that they can't do it, won't write to me. Those who are unsure, may write to ask for more details, and may later withdraw if they know they can't. Those who know that they surely can do it will respond.

There are responses, but of course, in S'pore, not in the hundreds, or even tens. I say again, there are responses, just not many! (You got to try. If you don't try, you totally don't get anything. And I'm here trying.)

When I correspond with interested models, I'm not anywhere as harsh as my recruitment. There is NO MORE NEED to be. These models already have quite a good understanding of what's going to happen. Discussions and negotiations can be conducted nicely.

My "recruitment" is NOT LIMITED to just ClubSnap. This forum is mostly used/occupied by photographers, not models. In simple English, this forum IS NOT the best place to find models although still quite useful. There have been females in ClubSnap who said they don't mind doing nudes. Browse this forum. See. Look.

I also search other forums and places to increase my chances of digging out such rare characters. (Seek and you shall find.)

There is a Chinese saying, "beat the grass to alert/drive out the snake". I'm doing it here.

There is a saying, "leave no stone unturned". I'm doing it here.

I'm taking a strong and active approach in finding the models I need.

I don't believe that a nude girl will one day miraculously fall on to my lap :bigeyes: and say "take me". :bsmilie:

Now, I want to speak my mind.

Come on photographers! The only reason why my "recruitment" is not 100% effective is because you post off-topic responses. Could you all kindly leave me alone to do what I want?

If I can post this "recruitment", you guys can post a similar "recruitment" as well. I won't stop you. I will applaud you and wish you lots of good luck. I'm serious! Look, nude gals won't fall on to your lap lah! Please!

this thread has totally lost its main objective, as per CS norms. How hard is it to start a new thread in Kopitiam to discuss the plus and minus without interfering in the thread`s original intent?

TMC said:
this thread has totally lost its main objective, as per CS norms. How hard is it to start a new thread in Kopitiam to discuss the plus and minus without interfering in the thread`s original intent?

Yeah! You're so right.

It's inconsiderate and disrespectful to a single particular individual to fill up his thread with negativity and off-topic comments.

I feel like asking the moderator to close this thread. It's starting to be counter-effective.

haha... 打草惊蛇 :bsmilie:
Jemapela said:
There is a Chinese saying, "beat the grass to alert/drive out the snake". I'm doing it here.!

I read the web site and I can't understand why we cannot take it? it is true we have been brought up in a Nanny state, told what is good for us and ask no questions. But at the same time we also have good traits and values in us that we should maintain and keep.

Back to the main issue started by the Thread Starter, I think he raised rather good points and unfortunately has made up his mind not to post further, same reasons as when Photographers get all worked up when a Thread asking for free photographer or paying $20 per day to be assistant etc...

This is pretty much close... though the payment seems more in terms of other than monetary, but the "exposure" of the model seems even bigger.

If there are no takers or little response it is not merely because Asians are not open-minded, maybe money minded more like it.

Peace bro, only speaking my mind. I like Melbourne... I believe you have the big horse race today!

../azul123

Thread closed per threadstarter's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.