Mouse gets frozen all the time problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
My mouse or com has a serious problem. The mouse gets frozen/ jammed/ stuck/ hanged all the time. And I really mean all the time. Sometimes it gets jammed for awhile, then I can move it again. But often i have to do ctrl-alt-delete or press the windows key, then it will unfreeze.

It is a Logitech optical USB mouse, 2-3 years old.

I wonder if its a problem with my PC or the mouse.
Anyone had this problem before and how can I solve it?

I've put up with it for about a week plus and I'm reaching my limit of tolerance!!! :angry:

My mouse or com has a serious problem. The mouse gets frozen/ jammed/ stuck/ hanged all the time. And I really mean all the time. Sometimes it gets jammed for awhile, then I can move it again. But often i have to do ctrl-alt-delete or press the windows key, then it will unfreeze.

It is a Logitech optical USB mouse, 2-3 years old.

I wonder if its a problem with my PC or the mouse.
Anyone had this problem before and how can I solve it?

I've put up with it for about a week plus and I'm reaching my limit of tolerance!!! :angry:

There might be some application running at the background that cause the computer to be very slow, you should first do Ctl-Alt-Del, select task manager, then select second tap "Processes" take a look at the CPU usage, if it is consistantly above 50%, that means there is program running at back ground. If that is true, click the third column 2 times to see what is the process that uses the most CPU resources.

Remember the name of the process, go to Yahoo and search for what is it and how to kill it.

Hope this might help, if the CPU usage is less than 10% and you have mouse stuck problem it will be most likely due to faulty hardware, if it is PS2 mouse, then most likely it is mouse problem, if you are using USB mouse, are you using USB HUB?

There might be some application running at the background that cause the computer to be very slow, you should first do Ctl-Alt-Del, select task manager, then select second tap "Processes" take a look at the CPU usage, if it is consistantly above 50%, that means there is program running at back ground. If that is true, click the third column 2 times to see what is the process that uses the most CPU resources.

Remember the name of the process, go to Yahoo and search for what is it and how to kill it.

Hope this might help, if the CPU usage is less than 10% and you have mouse stuck problem it will be most likely due to faulty hardware, if it is PS2 mouse, then most likely it is mouse problem, if you are using USB mouse, are you using USB HUB?

My CPU usage is not always above 50%. think average is 30+%... fluctuates up and down.
No, i'm not using usb hub... connect direct. How to fix if its hardware problem?

You can do a simple method to deduce if it's your 1) mouse or your 2) comp

So can you get a second mouse from your neighbour or friend or your brother..replace your old mouse and see if it jams the computer.

Mouse can cause problems too

One time i bought a generic mouse, and it actually freeze the computer..and i had to restart it...change to a new mouse, it was fine

another time, i used my friend's old mouse (cheapskate ah me!!), after i used it for a year, i noticed that the mouse arrow seems to have a mind of it's own..like closing the windows browser etc...i thought some bloody asshole hacked into my comp or virus...did a lot of stupid things here and there and change to a new motherboard....then i changed the mouse...and i realised it was the mouse:sweat:

Third time with a mouse. my brother gave me a free mouse (singapore brand RANGER)...**** that one prolly fried my new laptop's ram...lucky can change the ram since i just bought the comp...that time i thought the laptop ram got fried cuz it is faulty...so i plug the mouse to a PC...**** the windows said that there was some sudden surge of energy list...wakau....

Anyways..do the simple method by changing the mouse first..then you troubleshoot complicated stuff...

remember the story of how a repairman who tried to fix a microwave and he later realised he didn't plug it in?

WuffRuff you don't indicate when this happened. Did this suddenly happen or has it always happened?

If it is the latter - then agree with blowblue

If it is the former - have you patched Windows recently or added any new drivers? Possibly something has corrupted your mouse drivers so might look at reinstalling or check if drivers are up to date - google it on web to download latest drivers

Alternativey use a normal ball mouse

Unless you know that you are running something at the back ground, there should be no reason to be above 30%, when you go into task manager, initially it can be 30% for short while and should drop below 10% when there is no application running at the background. Use the method I explain before to see what is the application running;

Task Manager => Processes => Third tap twice => this will show process by the highest utilization, see what are the process that are eating up the CPU resources.

If you are sure that CPU usage is ok, then borrow a mouse from a friend and try.

You also can go to microsoft website to download the 90 day trial version of Window Live onecare at:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/products/computer/onecare.mspx

It does check for performance tune up, viruses, that may help.

Have you updated your video driver lately? Is it nvidia?

when your mouse hangs, flip it over is the red light bright? You can move your hand over the sensor to see if it lights up brighter.

I have experience with my laptop, I was connecting my USB ports to mouse, USB hub & other devices and once a while my mouse will freeze & no light.
I concluded that there is not enough current being supplied to my USB ports as I have other USB devices that were drawing current too. Hence at some point in time there is not enough current to operate the mouse hence it died

Status
Not open for further replies.