mounting Minolta lens on Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

i120D

Jan 12, 2005
hi,

What should i buy if want to mount a Minolta lens on Canon 300D?
:dunno:

i120D said:
hi,

I'm not sure if there is such adapter. But I heard some adapter will crippled some functions of the lens or the body. Just curious why u would like to mount a Minolta lens on a Canon body ??? :think: You have existing Minolta lens that you would like to put to good use ??
Maybe someone can come to the rescue of the above question raise. I'm also a newbie you know :bsmilie:

dun think anybody in a right mind would wanna use a normal minolta lens on a 300D, cos it will just disable your AF, not sure about aperture, think also crippled... den treat a normal lens as a manual lens... kinda siao... unless it is some super good lens from minolta, otherwise, just sell the lens off, den get the same range from canon lens...

i120D said:
hi,

Minolta makes/made lenses in several different mounts, so the answer would depend on what lens you're referring to.

There's no such adpater to mount a Minolta lens to any other brand SLR/DSLR. First of all, Minolta AF lenses do not have aperture ring. Even if there's such an adapter, (1) there will be no AF ability and (2) it will most likely to affect the ability to focus into infinity.

Cheers.

LittleWolf said:
Minolta makes/made lenses in several different mounts, so the answer would depend on what lens you're referring to.

minolta macro, so i guess AF is not that important here.;)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
dun think anybody in a right mind would wanna use a normal minolta lens on a 300D, cos it will just disable your AF, not sure about aperture, think also crippled... den treat a normal lens as a manual lens... kinda siao... unless it is some super good lens from minolta, otherwise, just sell the lens off, den get the same range from canon lens...

AF really that important? just get a high-end P&S, why bother slr?:dunno:
really dumb of someone just try to cut off the thread because personaly not doing it, and don know nothing about constructive suggestion, and yet still want to post some comment..... you look too much into the mirror, instead of viewfinder....... feel pity for you....:cry:

i120D said:
minolta macro, so i guess AF is not that important here.;)

There's many different mounts that can make a difference... Minolta makes/made lenses with Minolat AF mount, Minolta SR mount, Leica M(?) mount, and probably also M39. Maybe even more. All of these mounts are mechanically very different.

For macro applications, it may be possible to fit different mounts on the ends of an extension bellows. One could also consider a reversal ring and use the lens in retro configuration.

i120D said:
really dumb of someone just try to cut off the thread because personaly not doing it, and don know nothing about constructive suggestion, and yet still want to post some comment..... you look too much into the mirror, instead of viewfinder....... feel pity for you....:cry:

den too bad we see from the wrong view lor... cos if u buy a minolta AF lens, den wanna minus the AF function, and also use only fix aperture (if you can even mount it...) if thats what you like, then so be it lor... maybe you can ask someone to make a mount adapter for you.

if u can't accept any suggestions, i suggest next time you just go to shops & ask lor, y bother asking here? go get your P&S lor.. and i really pity you too lah... cos u know nuts about anything...:think: i also wonder if u have any minolta lens in the 1st place...

oh ya... AF is important to me, i think if you like manual, y not go get some old manual focus camera instead? den dun get any digital SLR, since 100% of digital SLR uses AF...

i120D said:

1st, you did not mention what you want the mount for. 2nd, you did not mention if depth of field is important to you. 3rd, you did not mention if AF is important to you. 4th you did not mention if aperture is important to you. You can't really blame CtrlAltnoDel for pointing to you the fact AF will be lost. Even though the way he phase it might seems to be rather unpolished.

In any sense, it would not be sensible to mount minolta lens onto canon body because there is already equalivient Canon lenses to minolta counterpart. Moreover, as Minolta A mount lens does not have a manual aperture ring, even if you managed to find an adapter which can mount Minolta Lens onto Canon bodies, you will only have the largest aperture to play with. If you want to do macro with it, it is virtually impossible, you can't stop down the aperture like you can with M39 / M42 / Nikon non-G lens.

Thus it would be more sensible to buy a canon counterpart.

LittleWolf said:

Would be interesting to know in what other mount did Minolta made for, other then their own A mount and their own MC/MD mount. :D

actually think about it hor, duno y i write tat way tat day... hehehe...

must be having nightmare while writing... retract my 1st post...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
actually think about it hor, duno y i write tat way tat day... hehehe...

must be having nightmare while writing... retract my 1st post...
bro claim down . maybe he love the lens so much and love 300D also :)

blurblock said:
Would be interesting to know in what other mount did Minolta made for, other then their own A mount and their own MC/MD mount. :D

Leica M mount, for example, along with the suitable camera (Minolta CL/CLE). MC/MD are variations of the original SR mount, so there are non-MC, non-MD, non-A SLR lenses).

I seem to remember Minolta also made some macro/micro lenses with a small screw mount for use with a bellows.

Status
Not open for further replies.