Mounting and removing lens techniques question

SNAPDINER

Mar 28, 2011
I hope to hear from fellow clubsnappers what they think are the best methods of mounting amd removing lens with little risk of damaging the mounts, especially heavy lens; eg does one put the lens vertically on a surface and turn the camera around it or vice versa; Also, are there ways to strap the camera with the mounted heavy lens such that it will minimised stress on the mount and er...also photographer? Thank you.

worry less about damaging the mount. they're made to last very, very long.

the more you worry, the less you're gonna shoot/change lenses.

so worry less, shoot more

you can try the black rapid strap which can mount on the tripod mount of heavier lenses.
it is also quite comfortable.

the mounts are so hard...dont worry... the more you worry..the more problem u get... eg dropping of lenses..trying to fit it fast but damge it more without knowing and etc etc..

Why not mount the body on the lens instead of lens on the body?

Actually the problem is not in the mounting. It is the way you handle the body & lens once it is mounted. If the lens is 300mm or above and you hold the body instead of the lens, there is a probability that you can damage the mount. I have seen people that had damaged it this way.

Think the mounts are built to last. Lighter lenses may have plastic mounts and heavier ones feature metal mounts so i think the manufacturers would have had those considerations alr. Just handle the equipment at its CG, safest =]

Agree with ziploc, problem is not the act of mounting/attaching a heavy lens, rather the carrying when a heavy lens is alrdy attached.

+1 on the black rapid, attach the strap to the lens foot of 70-200 f2.8 lessens the stress on the mount and makes it feel relatively easier/lighter to carry compared to regular strap.

Actually the problem is not in the mounting. It is the way you handle the body & lens once it is mounted. If the lens is 300mm or above and you hold the body instead of the lens, there is a probability that you can damage the mount. I have seen people that had damaged it this way.
right... lens is so huge, long and heavy..especially for those 70200 and above..make no sense to just hold the camera with 1 hand on the grip..

right... lens is so huge, long and heavy..especially for those 70200 and above..make no sense to just hold the camera with 1 hand on the grip..

for the larger lenses i will carry by the lens when not shooting. if shooting, most of the weight is supposed by the hand shooting the lens. when holding by the body, the camera is pointed either up or down so the weight of the lens works evenly all around the lens mount. better still, shoot with a monopod(on the tripod foot) when the situation allows you to.

in anycase, you'll probably loose grip of the camera and have the camera drop from your hands before the lens mount breaks...

Last edited:

Its very difficult to run with both hands holding onto the camera.

Legoz said:
Its very difficult to run with both hands holding onto the camera.

That's when you remember your rifle holding techniques :bsmilie:

SOC i run holding the rifle 1 hand on the horizontal grip lol.... Anyway any lenses you use just get a strap on the body the no worries about what if your hand releases the body. I use the third party version of sun sniper strap... Ok with my 300mm prime.