Mount Ophir

crusher

Mar 4, 2005
Is it advisable to carry a DSLR to climb Mount Ophir?

I dunno ... what you gonna use it for? If to throw it down the mountain, I'd advise against it, even though Malaysia has no Killer Litter law yet.

But to take photos, why not? Make sure you keep it safe during the climb.

Enjoy the climb and wish you all the best and come back with great photos to share!

Cheers!

try to just stick with one lens, as backpacking up already may tire you out,

DSLR.. good quality pics, but heavy

compact camera .. okok quality pics, but lighter

it's a weight vs. quality of pictures

well, i'd personally go with a compact camera, lighter weight, be able to capture more pictures as i'm less tired out,
and video too!

may we know what kind of trip is your ophir trip going to be?

Is this your first time climbing mountain?

Cheers!

Is it advisable to carry a DSLR to climb Mount Ophir?

Mt Ophir is shorter then Mt Kinabalu right? If so, why not? I already done that and shoot nice unforgettable images of Mt Kinabalu during my trip last week.

Dun treat your DSLR like a baby man! :)

But my advise... keep light... bring one suitable lens is good enough dun bring too many lens and weigh yourself down... you will only 'kill' yourself.

I only brought my 5DKII + 17-40 for my trip.

I have climbed Belumut, Angsi, Lambak and Kinabalu before, only tried carrying DSLR for Kinabalu and found it too tiring (even though it was just a D40 + 18-55VR). Ok lar, think I will stick with compact.

I've climbed Mount Ophir before. Not easy, especially the last part to the top. Better get a PnS/prosumer camera instead of a DSLR.

I've climbed Mount Ophir before. Not easy, especially the last part to the top. Better get a PnS/prosumer camera instead of a DSLR.

referring to this part?

Gunung%20Ledang.JPG
(I googled for this photo)

Yeah it looks tougher then my Mt Kinabalu trip.... I have not come across this kind of steep slope during my climb (the steepest i come across is 15-25% less steep then this) :sweat:

If TS is not a fit person, i will advise him to carry a pns instead... unless he is fit, he should bring a backpack to store his DSLR while climbing this slope.

Last edited:
Mt Ophir is shorter then Mt Kinabalu right? If so, why not? I already done that and shoot nice unforgettable images of Mt Kinabalu during my trip last week.

Dun treat your DSLR like a baby man! :)

But my advise... keep light... bring one suitable lens is good enough dun bring too many lens and weigh yourself down... you will only 'kill' yourself.

I only brought my 5DKII + 17-40 for my trip.

Actually Mt Kinabalu is not very tough, problem is I had bad rainy weather during the ascent and descent, ended up I carried a heavy camera and not being able to take any photo!

If weather is good, DSLR is good, if weather is bad, DSLR is a pain!

Last edited:
referring to this part?

Gunung%20Ledang.JPG
(I googled for this photo)

To show the steepness this rockface it's actually better to shoot from the side. (I googled it too. :))

IMG_2848_w.jpg

If weather is good, DSLR is good, if weather is bad, DSLR is a pain!

If fitness is good, DSLR is good, if fitness is bad, DSLR is a pain! :devil:

hmmm.. Ophir can be tougher than Kinabalu. There are 6 routes though, depending on which route you'll take. Kinabalu has nice steps and wide trail, Ophir's trail are narrow, steep and typically muddy.. dun forget the leeches *yucks*

For DSLR:
- you're taking the telecom route (road most of the way)
- you're super fit and have done a couple of mountains (load will be 10-15kg if you're camping there, about 5-7kg if not)
- you're the die die must have swee pics type

For Compact:
- you're taking the resort route (tough tough tough!)
- you're not a regular trekker

Ophir pics here - taken with my compact.. GX100

I'm more of a landscape enthusiast (plus usually too tired when climbing!), but you can take weird plants, insects, flowers, people etc if you're into those as well.

All being said, there's no hard and fast rule.. I'll usually bring compact, but I know someone who brings a 40D with 18-55, 10-22 and 70-200.... we're both similarly fit, but he's just more into photography, I'm more into enjoying nature.

climb mt ophir 4yrs ago
climb up that time really bo eng and hand not free to swop out camera
took a tent, 5liter of water,, barang barang and weight total to 30kg!
it was not some load whereby i wan to whack out a DSLR to take photo, esp if need to change lens still....
was using PNS that time
Knee cap gave way when coming down hill after packing all barang barang and carry the now 20KG load....

plus do take into account of unexpected weather
it was POURING heavily when we coming down.
the water fall near the bottom was OVER FLOODED!

When climbing up, there are some places whereby both ur hand is needed to climb up aka high steps and gotta pull urself up
and there are some places which u have to climb ladder....
Unless u put ur DSLR in ur backpack till u reach the top and take photo....

along it way, u might slow others down cos u will b keeping and taking out ur dslr

2cent thot.

One more question, I will be camping overnight at the summit, how is the temperature like in the night? Is it necessary to bring jacket and long pants?

camping site is half way
tink its at point 6 or 9
forgot already
the better place to camp
its just 3 to 4hrs hike from bottom of ophir
weather is ok lah
wear pants is to prevent mosquito bite
i wear the army pants to sleep
hahaa
then next day break camp then straight away go to top
u wont be camping at the hill top
it gets cooling as u climb up
BUT u wont wan to wear jacket
u will be sweating...

I never been to this mount ophir. I'm not a climber with DSLR type.

But one groups of my friends, they like climb / trekking + photography all the way, in the middle of journey, etc. Most of them use entry level DSLR + kit lens (18-55). And, they always hang it on their neck - means you cannot afraid your camera to get wet due to sweat, to get slightly knocked on surface / somethings along the way.

So save some hassle of take out and keep the camera

Last edited:
When you take the resort route up Ophir, there is a sign at the start which says Ophir is much harder than Kinabalu. You will remember this when you face the rock face. A humble P&S is best.

make sure you waterproof your camera.

One more question, I will be camping overnight at the summit, how is the temperature like in the night? Is it necessary to bring jacket and long pants?

It has for been many years that they disallow camping at the summit due to risk of lightning strike, and the highest point they allowed camping was Sungai Segi Tiga (CP5) before the fallen trees incidents. They had disallowed camping at the Sagil trail since 2 to 3 years ago due to multiple incidents of campers killed by fallen trees. You might want to double check with the park. Temperature at night at CP5 is around 20~24 degree, and cooler during raining season.

last time i was there in '08, we could camp along the telecom route. Most people going from the resort route stay at the resort then do a up-down in a day (xiong ah!).. camping is disallowed at most of the campsites nowadays.

to answer the weather question, it can be cold at night if the wind blows.. in the day, typically tolerable weather. I bring a jacket in case it rains or the wind is strong.

We should have a CS trekking outing one day :D .. didn't know so many likeminded people in here!