Mount kinabalu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tay

Nov 28, 2004
Bedok
Hi all,
Im goin to mount kk soon,need some advise from u guys....
Is it advisable to bring tripod when going up to summit?
Mine is a heavy one.

Regards. :)

dun think u want the additional weight right, especially since you mentioned its a heavy one. if u think a tripid is really important, borrow a small light-weight 1 from your friends. : )

If you can make it to the peak, you can see the beautiful sunrise.
But no suitable place or rather flat area for you to place your tripod.
You need 2 days 1 night to reach the peak. Good enough you still
have energy to take photos. Hands are very shaky at that time due
to tiredness and cold. Don't forget to get a waterproof gloves.

no place to put tripod, just a few rocks at the peak only...

if there is a big group going up...u can't stay there for long unless u chiong all the way up and be the first few to reach the peak

You can actually pay the guide/porter to carry it up for you. However, if this is your first time up, and you've never experienced thinner than sea-level air, i suggest you leave the pod at home. You may not be able to think too clearly with the thin air.

BUT if you're the hardcore-tripod, large format camera, big-big enlargements type ... then i suggest you use the porter to carry everything up for you. (i think he'll even carry you up if you're willing to pay.)

Whoa... you guys use porters to climb Mt. Kinabalu? When I went on my expedition up to the summit, we had to carry our 15 kg backpacks up and down... So lucky... We weren't allowed porters...

Hi guys....yeah its my first tm up there.So tripod is not recommend loh. Hand held will do is it?

Oh ya one more ting to ask....Wat lens to bring is recommended?

Tay said:
Oh ya one more ting to ask....Wat lens to bring is recommended?

wide zoom

and if u are shooting digital, may be bring a small P&S film cam

those days i only got a P&S film camera which is fully manual and no battery required, and it was one of the few which survived at the peak ;p

Wai said:
wide zoom

and if u are shooting digital, may be bring a small P&S film cam

those days i only got a P&S film camera which is fully manual and no battery required, and it was one of the few which survived at the peak ;p

Hmm....Ok thks ,but i only have digital.

1. Try to keep your spare battery warm, b'cos it drains quite fast in those cold condition.

2. Wear a good pair of waterproof gloves. Else your hands will be trembling and can’t hold your camera still or even click the shutter.

3. Wide angel lens is preffered.

4. A good pair of sun glass, b'cos UV ray is very strong up on the summit.

jeffhiew said:
1. Try to keep your spare battery warm, b'cos it drains quite fast in those cold condition.

2. Wear a good pair of waterproof gloves. Else your hands will be trembling and can’t hold your camera still or even click the shutter.

3. Wide angel lens is preffered.

4. A good pair of sun glass, b'cos UV ray is very strong up on the summit.

Thks jeffhiew for your advise :thumbsup:

Regards.

Tay said:
Hi all,
Mine is a heavy one.

What will be the date that you are going?

I have a group of 10 that will be going soon too...

Tay said:
Hi all,
Mine is a heavy one.

Hi you may wanna bring a monopod with you! :)

Don't know if you are already in Mt KK...anyway, as mentioned by others, there would be no space for you to mount your tripod at the summit becos it's gonna be over-crowded with ppl. Finding a place to stand also got problem.

Unless, you have booked 2 nights at the Laban Rata guesthouse, which means you will not be in a hurry to get down after reaching the summit. Most groups only book 1 night, so immediately after sunrise and all the photo-taking, they will rush down.

After everybody is gone, normally at abt 8+......you will have the entire summit to yourself and your group. Then, it makes more sense to bring along a tripod becos now you could utilise it if you want.

Hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.