Motor in camera

LBL2009

Jul 9, 2009
Seletar Estate, Singapore
I know having a in-camera motor allow us to use older lenses.

Are you a D90 user who uses only AFS lenses at the moment?

Why D90 and the new D7000 sold with 18-105mm AFS kit lens and not the 'good value for money' non-AFS lenses?

The only AF/AF-D lenses available i would see is the 50 1.4/1.8, Fisheye 16mm, 80-200, 80-400, 18-35

I doubt they would wanna package 80-200 or 80-400 or even the 18-35 in the package and not everyone will appreciate prime lenses.

Why D90 and the new D7000 sold with 18-105mm AFS kit lens and not the 'good value for money' non-AFS lenses?

for one, most of the entry level AFD lenses are already out of production or replaced with AFS version. Cannot be they remake those old lenses to couple with their newer bodies. There is no savings in them doing so.

and the general direction is to move towards AFS systems

Ryan

Newbie who just buy his first camera, would prefer AFS 18-105mm or AFS 18-200mm, which is in category of walkabout lens.

I want to say that it's simply just marketing strategies of the company.

A AFS kit lens is good value! prices of kit lens are low because there are alot in the market, a matter of demand and supply, but they are still very very good lenses. If your brand new camera is packaged with a AFD lens instead these AFS kit lens that you take for granted, these AFS kit lenses would then be pricier. Now shouldnt we thank the companies for packaging it with AFS lenses? And it is definitely cheaper in a package than purchasing them separately.

A 50 f1.8 kit would be nice though.

I don't think Nikon will do it, as a newbie might not buy D7000 if package ONLY with 50mm f/1.8, as this is not a good marketing ;)

I don't think Nikon will do it, as a newbie might not buy D7000 if package ONLY with 50mm f/1.8, as this is not a good marketing ;)

Yup but D7000 feels like it's targeting a mix of different markets, it has some features that a "pro" would find useful, so a 50 f1.8 kit may work I think.

I don't use those cameras but the D300s which also has AF motor. When I was after a 35mm lens I planned to buy the 35/2D and when I tested it that was the first time I used a D. The constantly rotating focus ring, as opposed to the AF-S ring, would drive me crazy. I ended up buying the 35/1.8 DX, even though I did really wanted the 35/2. OK, even the image quality of the 35/1.8 is better, but that's another thing, because regardless of which, the rotating focus ring would really drive me crazy.

I also think it would be bad marketing to sell a new and modern camera with lenses as old as the "D", apart from the fact that those kit lenses are DX lenses, while all the "D" are FX.

Yup but D7000 feels like it's targeting a mix of different markets, it has some features that a "pro" would find useful, so a 50 f1.8 kit may work I think.
While it could be an idea to sell it with a prime lens, but the 50/1.8 is hardly a pro lens, apart from the fact that it may be too long. The 35/1.8 would be much better to kit with, even though it is also just a consumer lens, but a very high quality and more useful focal length.

While it could be an idea to sell it with a prime lens, but the 50/1.8 is hardly a pro lens, apart from the fact that it may be too long. The 35/1.8 would be much better to kit with, even though it is also just a consumer lens, but a very high quality and more useful focal length.

Yes the 50/1.8 is not a pro lens but it does not mean that it is a bad lens. It does not mean that pros cannot use the 50/1.8 for anything.

However, I would agree that a more appropriate "kit" for a DX camera would be the 35/1.8