Motivation(s)....

Agetan

Dec 31, 2004
www.tomato.sg
Hello all,

Having lots of unproductive time while I am here in Beijing... a lot of things go through my mind...

This issue is something always intrique me on what really the real motivation(s) behind each photographer...

Is it money?
Is it the image?
Is it the gear?
Is it the fame?
Or something else?

and most importantly why?

What motivate you to wake up day after day and happy to be on 33 degree celcius, hot and humid condition in Singapore to work as a photographer?

I know what makes me quit my engineering job some 6 years ago and never looked back.

Regards,

Hart

For me, it's the desire to run a business :)

Thanks Hori.

I suppose, the joy of running a business could be a source of motivation for some...

I must admit, being motivate running a business is very very challenging being faced with different type of clients everyday. Of course, the motivation of mine is to always get a booking by changing my ways to serve all my potential clients.

Part of my motivation is to make sure that I live my dream.

Living a dream is a very broad sense and I tend to break it down to smaller bit so I can find true motivation that push me for more.

I dream of having my own studio space...
I dream of helping people through photography by giving them a chance...
I dream of having my very own studio (not renting)...
I dream of being the best in the industry both from photographic perspective and client satisfaction perspection...

During my busiest time last year... I don't have enough sleep, I don't see my kids and wife so often, I don't even have time to myself... I do ask myself, what motivates me apart from those dreams.

Truth to be told... It is people that I meet everyday that motivate me the most. Sound strange but everytime I know another client and capturing images for them, somehow I feel energize mentally (but drain physically).

Motivation can be addictive...

To summarise, my motivations comes from people that I am going to meet, it also comes from living my dreams as well as running a successful business that allow me to live my dreams.

Hope the hear more from you guys.

Regards,

Hart

hi Hart

i can't help much here as i am just a hobbyist trying to earn some $ with camera..

but i feel that you will succeed as your motivation is quite strong and they are in a good direction, i.e. they are correct.

i wish u all the best

:thumbsup:

Thanks..

you don't have to be pro to comment...

It is about the motivation that took you to start shooting...

Hart

my motivation is very simple:

i just hope to create beautiful images... be it landscape, human... i find it fun...

i like to challenge my creativity... and among all different categories of photography, i feel that fashion is most challenging in terms of creativity... it is most fun but out of reach for most, including me..

;p

Allow me to share as well.

What motivates me is the music i listen to, the trees that goes by on a dark gloomy rainy day, little kids smiling, laughing, crying. The man with only one leg and singing along the streets and shaking my hand. Life. Life motivates me. But everying around life inspires me.

:)

Interesting to hear Chris...

Sometimes, I feel life sucks when a lot of bad things just happen around us (war, crime, illness,etc)... but then again... in the bigger pictures.. life is interesting and life is great...

Regards,

Hart

Last edited:
Hey Hart,

Yeah i use to feel the same as well. That life is ****ed up. The auntie next to you spitting on the floor. the robberies, the wars and crimes.

Then recently i took a step back after a talk by someone and thought. "how different am i from them?" it was then that i realised that our experiences in life made us see things in a different way. And more often then not these experiences create a barrier that prevents us from "seeing" the bigger picture. =)

Thanks Chris.

Yes, Life experiences do alter what we "see" and "react" to the environment.

Regards,

Hart

In doing Photography, the thing that i like (until now) is the joy (happines) of doing the shooting it self, it feel like refreshing from my daily work (architecture) and exploring more of how many oppurtunities to capture what is interesting around me. between the object (that i want to capture) and the camera it self, there are so many unique ways and so many creatifities (of framing, capturing, composing, making it look like different, etc) waiting for me to find it out. That is very interesting and look like a mistery with alot of treasure inside if i can figure it out / solve it. The unlimited oppurtunities of the capturing / shooting with my own creatvity, my own style (which allow me to try this and that) makes me enjoy in doing and exploring the photography ;p

Ego = Motivation = Creations = Monies

A lot of us do not want to admit that ego = monies, but generally in that orders. Driven is energy too.:think:

Hi..

Care to elaborate a little bit more? I don't quite get the Ego = monies part...

Ego as in proud of your own work equal to how much money you can make?...

Hart

In doing Photography, the thing that i like (until now) is the joy (happines) of doing the shooting it self, it feel like refreshing from my daily work (architecture) and exploring more of how many oppurtunities to capture what is interesting around me. between the object (that i want to capture) and the camera it self, there are so many unique ways and so many creatifities (of framing, capturing, composing, making it look like different, etc) waiting for me to find it out. That is very interesting and look like a mistery with alot of treasure inside if i can figure it out / solve it. The unlimited oppurtunities of the capturing / shooting with my own creatvity, my own style (which allow me to try this and that) makes me enjoy in doing and exploring the photography ;p

Interesting... so it is the craft and tools as well as the mystery behind photography that motivate you... good to know...

I must admit, if money is not an issue, photography usually a lot more enjoyable as there is no pressure... not forcing yourself to be creative even though you are tired and not feeling any more creative...

Regards,

Hart

Ego = Motivation = Creations = Monies

A lot of us do not want to admit that ego = monies, but generally in that orders. Driven is energy too.:think:

Hi..

Care to elaborate a little bit more? I don't quite get the Ego = monies part...

Ego as in proud of your own work equal to how much money you can make?...

Hart

Yeah, Similar to Hart, i do not understand how Ego = Monies. i dun really think my motivation has anything to do with monies too. :think:

The end product, be it photography assigment or video production, is my ego-extension. Hence the motivation force that drive me to do better each time.

I would look at motivation(s) as a generic term for drives and ego as a definitive driving force.
Ego has a thin line between negative and positive outlook, with egotistical as the extreme.

If you are ever asking yourself as to why are you doing this or anything, it’s the ego that tries to rationalise or justify. Die die also must try, despite advices otherwise.:devil:
Competitive is ego driven. Achievers are ego driven too, and financially successful.

The end product, be it photography assigment or video production, is my ego-extension. Hence the motivation force that drive me to do better each time.

Last edited:
Interesting... so it is the craft and tools as well as the mystery behind photography that motivate you... good to know...

I must admit, if money is not an issue, photography usually a lot more enjoyable as there is no pressure... not forcing yourself to be creative even though you are tired and not feeling any more creative...

Regards,

Hart

Hobby and business have different motivations, primarily with ego at play.
Ego is a small word with big conotation.

Hi,

I am not a true follower that money is the ultimate driving force.

Here is the scenario...

When you don't have any money, making something makes you happy
However, once you have achieve reasonable comfortable living (not rich), money doesn't seems to be the real motivation.

Its perhaps Law of Diminishing Interest apply here...

Money perhaps is the true end results that many is looking for...

Put it this way... in my opinion, if a client come and see me and I just don't see the connection between me and them... I would probably not going to push myself hard enough to "sell" my service. Yes, it is still money involve and I do understand what clients pay put food on the table, but satisfaction is not always equal to money.

Ego is a very temporary driving force and sometimes it is harder to balance between that thin line.

In business, I am a firm believer of less ego, more educations and more on honesty will drive the business into a successful one.

Sure, if you want to use Ego as an example on how much you "value" your business and what sort of level that your "brand" has established, I can accept that.

I believe some of your might have heard about "Dream Book". Dream book could be actual or mental notes on what your dream or dreams really is...

Something that is quantifiable is a lot easier to chase...

Not many will put $1m cash in bank as their dream, if you are honest to yourself... what does that really a motivation?

However, if you put something like... A 2 storey villa with nice roof top with garden and swimming pool will be something that is concrete enough to go for it... Money is in the equation as always but not the absolute driving force...

The ego of living in this house is probably not the driving force either... but the feeling of living in your dream home and the comfort do drive people further.

I hope it makes some sense?

Regards,

Hart