Mother-to-be

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungfumaster

Aug 17, 2006
C&C welcomed

Eliza1.jpg

Eliza2.jpg

interesting.. first time seeing a pregnant model..

I would prefer simpler backgound. For this kind of shots. Need to capture the feeling. Not a easy job... :)

Its great to see some different portraiture from the usual.... refreshing, thanks.

Exposure: both shots suffer from burnt highlights. unfortunately all those burnt highlights are in the dress, her legs and face, which means that you lost all the toning and texture in the main focus point of your shot. If you shot in RAW you may be able to safe it, but there is nothing to be done in jpeg, just reshoot. The matrix exposure meter of your camera may have been fooled into overexposure by the dark background. Try to use centre weight metering on this. It does not matter if the background gets underexposed but you want to preserve all the information in the main subject.

Composition: I like the composition of the first one, she looks very happy with her unborn baby! So you got the story there. The overexposed dress makes her belly look like a white blob. A correct exposure would give you some tonality there, highligting the nice curves, really what you want when shooting a pregnant woman. A tighter crop or a crop that is a bit more off-centre would improve the photo as well.

thanks for posting and keep the photos coming
Not sure what the story is in the second photo. While i see a very happy Mom in the first, i wonder why she is looking into the skies in the second.... is she trying to find an answer there why she is pregnant? the composition of the second shot does not apeal to me at all.

You got to take note of the white clothing again darker background. From the first photos, there is nothing but pure white on her clothes.

I guess you shot this on film, and lost of highlight detail due to scanning from negative.

I don't see much connection of her with her baby, you can look at some other people works for reference.

I guess you shot this on film, and lost of highlight detail due to scanning from negative.
QUOTE]

Yes, they were taken on film and scan in. Not a great scanner, partly causing the exaggeration of the highlights.

I'll burn in some of the highlights and post again.

thanks for the comments.

KFM

C&C welcomed

Unfortunately, I would have to say of both pics - "Nice try but no cigar"

Compositionally:
Pic 1:
I would have opted for a tighter shot - to give your audience a sense of closeness between your subject and her soon-to-be born child.

The other problem I have with both pics is the direction of her gaze. Her gazes directs the audiences attention away from her - not a good thing. I would have got her to either look directly at the camera (i.e. engage the audience) or down at her tummy (to project a sense of expectation or closeness with the foetus).

Pic 2:
And the second pose is not flattering in the least. Coupled with the expression on her face, it seems as though she is thinking " Oh God, what am I doing here, I hope I don't look silly"

Technically:

I would have metered for the highlights in both pics. The highlights are blown out, obscuring details in her clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.