Mostly shooting in S mode

cupnoodles

Nov 1, 2010
As the title goes. Nothing wrong with shooting in S mode, but I noticed that most people shoot in "A" or "M" for those more advanced.

I just got my EVIL last month and of course there is alot to learn, but I noticed that if I shoot in any other mode (other than Auto), my pictures have the tendency to be blurry or not sharp. Because of this, I now have the habit to use S to control the speed of the camera.

I know what I'm doing is not using the S mode correctly, so can any seniors advise me how I can improve and start using the modes correctly? Or should I just stick to what works for me? Most of the times, it's a stab in the dark too when I use S. I usually use 1/5 or 6, there along, to get a fast snap.

I know I have to work on how to hold my camera properly but it still seems to not reacting fast enough for me to stop having a blurry pic.
:dunno:

1/5 or 1/6 is actually a pretty slow shutter speed, to prevent camera shake, try shooting at 1/(focal length x crop factor). Combined with good camera holding technique, this should prevent the shake.

If it's not fast enough for you to hold it still, then you will have to bump the ISO higher...

btw, the general guidelines for shutter speed is 1/focal length, so you may also want to start off from there.

As the title goes. Nothing wrong with shooting in S mode, but I noticed that most people shoot in "A" or "M" for those more advanced.

I just got my EVIL last month and of course there is alot to learn, but I noticed that if I shoot in any other mode (other than Auto), my pictures have the tendency to be blurry or not sharp. Because of this, I now have the habit to use S to control the speed of the camera.

I know what I'm doing is not using the S mode correctly, so can any seniors advise me how I can improve and start using the modes correctly? Or should I just stick to what works for me? Most of the times, it's a stab in the dark too when I use S. I usually use 1/5 or 6, there along, to get a fast snap.

I know I have to work on how to hold my camera properly but it still seems to not reacting fast enough for me to stop having a blurry pic.
:dunno:

From my understanding of your post... you are saying that when you shoot in any mode (other than Auto) your pic was blurry? Was it bcos you have not focus properly? There are a few type of blur, one was motion blur (which can be quite pleasing sometime), or was it that your subject was not in focus?

Actually it is alright to use the S (speed priority mode) and there really is no distinction that more advanced photographers would use A or M mode. Depending on what is your priority actually. I use A when I am shooting streets and S when I am shooting sports. I use M when I wanted more control (over everything).

What I would suggest is that you set your ISO to auto when using any mode so you can have a faster shutter speed even when you are using aperture priority.

It would be helpful in reading up in the manual and other online sources. The 4 basic modes are nearly the same for most brands and nicely explained in the manual.
Shutter priority, as the name suggests, let's you define the shutter speed and the camera will adjust Aperture and ISO (if ISO is on auto mode). Aperture priority let's you define the aperture (DOF control) and the camera will define shutter speed and ISO. Exposure is an equation with 3 factors (some call it 'exposure triangle'). If in Aperture mode the resulting shutter speed is too low for handholding then increase ISO or open up aperture (and keep in mind the side effects on image noise and DOF).
Select the mode according your needs. If unsure, start with P and observe the camera.

First do you understand Shutter speed/ISO/Aperture?
Then do you know how those modes work?
last..set your ISO to Auto ISO.. and hold your camera properly..hmm maybe you can adopt the way/technique u are most comfortable in.
Then your photos shouldnt be blurry anymore..

last..set your ISO to Auto ISO.. and hold your camera properly..hmm maybe you can adopt the way/technique u are most comfortable in.

i wun recommend this auto ISO, cos you will find yourself sometimes shooting high ISO even in broad daylight as the camera decides to ISO for you.

I do auto ISO with max ISO of 800, FWIW.

A mode when control depth of field is impt (portraits, macro)
S mode when controlling motion blur is important (sports, waterfall, lights from traffic)
M mode when the scene ahead of you is going to be relatively static (probably helps if you have a tripod and u're waiting for some perfect shot). (sunset landscape, studio work, 'waiting for a perfect shot' type).
P mode when depth of field is not impt, motion blur is not an issue. (eg. in bright daylight, shooting landscape)

It's not advised to use shutter speed to control camera shake. Depth of field/ motion blur control is far more important to understand and control as a photographer, especially if you're serious about getting better pictures. Get lens or bodies with stabilisation to improve shake, but the best method is to shoot in good light, and get a tripod for poor light.

i wun recommend this auto ISO, cos you will find yourself sometimes shooting high ISO even in broad daylight as the camera decides to ISO for you.
just making things easier for TS.. at least this would eliminate his blurry pic issues. After that when he understands more..he can choose not to set AUTO ISO.
ok ba..i set auto iso most of the time..as long its day time. It usually gave me the lowest. If not higher alittle.. IQ still ok..unless you pixel peep? But this is more of personal preferences..since some people can be particular. But start with auto ISO would be better for TS case i felt. thats what i think.