most spiders poisonous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
As asked, they kill the prey by poisons or simply just suck till the prey die? Or the bite just too much to bear? Sory may sound like idiot here.

As asked, they kill the prey by poisons or simply just suck till the prey die? Or the bite just too much to bear? Sory may sound like idiot here.

Spiders belonging to the Hackled orbweaver family are definitely NOT poisonous.They weave orbs and trap their prey using sticky threads if I recall correctly.

Spiders belonging to the Hackled orbweaver family are definitely NOT poisonous.They weave orbs and trap their prey using sticky threads if I recall correctly.

i know some preys die b4 kena eaten, but like jumping spiders here, is the bite by the spiders so hard that the prey die almost so fast?

i know some preys die b4 kena eaten, but like jumping spiders here, is the bite by the spiders so hard that the prey die almost so fast?

I don't think they die, just paralysed by the venom. Of course if the prey is smaller than the spider the mechanical force of the bite can be deadly too.

There are quite a few species which needs poison as their prey are larger in size. Like the black widow, it's small but it needs the poison to protect itself. But strangely its also web weaving. Singapore have lots of species but most are not poisonous and their poison is not strong enough to kill humans or animals.

How I know all these? Cos I love spiders, I have lots of books abt them. Had them as a hobby once but GF scared of them, so gave them away.

Actually, with the exception of a small minority, all spiders are poisonous (venomous actually, since they inject the venom by biting, while poisonous denotes having to ingest it, although of course anyone would understand "poisonous"), and all spiders bite their prey to kill them; the prey is not killed by injury from being bitten or from the web in web-spinning species.

But the venom of most spiders is completely harmless to humans. Most of the common ones we see cannot penetrate an adult's skin with their small fangs; a number of species can give a very painful but usually harmless bite, only a few can actually cause serious illness or death (I'm not familiar with many Singapore spiders but I don't think we have deadly ones here).

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.