Most popular softwares for PPC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by AdamGoi
To the experienced users, which are the popular ones? For viewing pictures , listening to mp3s and such?

TIA! ;)
Your budget? All the PPCs can do the above. It is the matter of price, and size and look and feel.

Your budget? All the PPCs can do the above. It is the matter of price, and size and look and feel.

i think he meant SOFTWARE, not the PPC. :)

He is talking about softwares.....

For mp3s.... The in-built Windows Media Player is good enough.....
Usually I convert the mp3s into wma format using the Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE in the Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP.... so that I can have at least 2.5 times the number of songs I can store in my storage card.... The quality of the songs is not really compromised much.....

For viewing picture files, I use Applian Picture Perfect v5.01 for PocketPC.... But that one have to pay.....

Besides the normal word and excel programs... I use acrobat pocket reader for those pdf. files and MobileClientLE for ppt. files for school purposes.....

There are alot of games available in the market... the nicer ones of coz U have to pay for them.....

There are some useful add-ons, like uptime to tell U how long U used Ur pocket pc since Ur last battery charge and how much battery life left, owner today to display Ur infomation on the pocket pc, screen capture to capture watever is on Ur pocket pc screen, icbar for user-friendly toolbar on the top, etc etc.....

U got to know wat U need.... there are alot of freewares in the market as well as softwares U have to pay....

Maybe U should go for freewares 1st to try out wat U really need.... coz paid softwares can be really expensive and a waste if U realise that U dun need it after U use.....

Quite a number of freewares can be downloaded from PPCSG.COM

Originally posted by xin
He is talking about softwares.....

For mp3s.... The in-built Windows Media Player is good enough.....
Usually I convert the mp3s into wma format using the Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE in the Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP.... so that I can have at least 2.5 times the number of songs I can store in my storage card.... The quality of the songs is not really compromised much.....

PPCSG.COM

Uhmmmm..... I think he is talking about software for PPC .... = Power PC, not Windows Based PC ;).

Originally posted by blurblock
Uhmmmm..... I think he is talking about software for PPC .... = Power PC, not Windows Based PC ;).

Please read my post carefully....
Pocket PCs have in-built Windows Media Player.... and I was talking about using the Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE program in PC Windows to convert mp3s into wma format and then sync them into Ur Pocket PC..... coz wma format is much smaller than mp3 format.....

I did get my facts correct.....

I have quite a number of freewares... but those are wat I need.... may not suit U.... if U want... let me know how I can send to U.....

So far.... I only have 3 paid softwares.... but already spent about $200 on them..... so in case U are thinking of getting paid softwares.... do consider carefully... coz they are not cheap..... And if better softwares come out in the market later and U wish to upgrade or change... Ur money for the earlier software is wasted.....

Got some "friendly" softwares too from friends.... quite bad.... but really can't afford so much paid softwares..... They are mostly games.....

Originally posted by xin
Please read my post carefully....
Pocket PCs have in-built Windows Media Player.... and I was talking about using the Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE program in PC Windows to convert mp3s into wma format and then sync them into Ur Pocket PC..... coz wma format is much smaller than mp3 format.....

I did get my facts correct.....

Ok, my mistake, I never realised he meant pocket pc. PPC is normally used to describe Power PC, never heard of it being used as an abberviation for Pocket PC before though :).

Heh.... in the Pocket PC world.... we call them PPC too..... and I never heard of Power PCs called PPC either......

Guess we have to come into each other's world to know wat each other is talking about......

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3101-2009-0-1.html?tag=dir

Pocket Music is useful for playing mp3 files. But unless you want to sacrifice a large CF card just to store music, it really does not make sense using a pocket PC to play MP3 files. Might as well get one of those small dedicated mp3 players or an iRiver MP3 CD player.

Pocket TV can play mpeg movies, which Windows Media Player cannot. Again, I would rather watch a VCD rather than tiny little mpeg videos, which more likely than not are pirated.

What I've found REALLY nice and useful is a little program called ubook, free from http://www.gowerpoint.com/. It beats Microsoft Reader hands down for reading ebooks, especially in HTML format which is how you would normally download such stuff anyway.

http://www.olivetree.com/ has got a free BibleReader software and several free downloadable Bible versions, as well as paid versions. The beta BibleReader software (which supports Cleartype) is a bit buggy at the moment, but has some nice features.

Games wise I have not really tried very many out, but my kids LOVE Ms Pacman. It's slick and good, but is not really freeware, and expired after some time. Thank goodness, so I could get my pocket PC back from my kids.

I use it mainly as an ebook reader and task manager, so these simple programs suit my needs real fine.

Originally posted by xin
Heh.... in the Pocket PC world.... we call them PPC too..... and I never heard of Power PCs called PPC either......

Guess we have to come into each other's world to know wat each other is talking about......

Yup :D ...... Now where is my space shuttle .... so I make travel into your space :rbounce:

here are some of the software which i have in my ppc.

Resco File explorer - interface is like windows explorer (Main Reason, build in explorer sucks.), has a build in encryption for your important documents.
Commercial Ware

Kagaku - this is a peroidic table which allows me to check crystal structures of elements and their atomic mass.
Freeware

RDcal- This is a scientific calculator which allows you to plot graphs, conversion of imperial units to metric, etc.
quite handy
Commercial Ware

Adobe Reader- for reading PDF documents. the ppc version converts the text such that you dont have to scroll left or right to see the whole document. ie it will autofit to screen
Freeware

Battery Bar- This is a battery meter software, measures the amount of storage capacity left in your PPC.
Commercial Ware

Pocket DIVx player - sometimes i watch animes and movies on the move. helps me kill time when i have to travel from Tampines to Boon Lay to get to school every day.
Freeware

These are some of the software which i feel are very handy and cant do without them. I use other softwares too.. but the list is too long.

hope this helps
Regards

Here are the softwares I normally use in my iPAQ 2210:

MP3 - Windows Media Player. I listen to MP3s very often with my iPAQ.
System management - OmegaOne Battery Pack.
Voice recording - Rasco Audio, can record voice memo directly into MP3 and has voice activated recording.
Picture viewer - Rasco Picture Viewer.

And of course, some games. :D

i highly recommend using Pocket MVP for listening to music. it supports .ogg files which are as small as wma files but provide a much better quality. they're like mp3 quality at wma size. you can use a program called dbpoweramp or something like that to convert mp3 files to ogg. unfortunately i cant remember the url for that program...

Originally posted by ziploc
Here are the softwares I normally use in my iPAQ 2210:

MP3 - Windows Media Player. I listen to MP3s very often with my iPAQ.
System management - OmegaOne Battery Pack.
Voice recording - Rasco Audio, can record voice memo directly into MP3 and has voice activated recording.
Picture viewer - Rasco Picture Viewer.

And of course, some games. :D

Ah ... a 2210 user! How you find the battery life? Hoping to get one soon! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.