Most photographers/pro shooters have a poor sense of dressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor2k7

Jul 8, 2010
Why is this so? I hardly see well-dressed photographers.

Not to criticise, but generally, i find that photography is aesthetically-inclined so i find this ironic.

How can the clients expect good results if the photographer doesnt have an eye for good taste? How to be sure that a photographer knows what he is doing if he dresses sloppily?

Same idea with wearing shirts and ties for interviews.

As for major events, is it about respecting the occasion, vips, and guests or to blend in by being invisible and to shoot well(not to disturb natural flow and subjects) Or both- but not to stand out? What is the compromise?
Or is the main idea, is to be detached from it so that the photographers can focus?

Any Constructive comments please? No trolls please

It's a dirty job dude, have u ever seen a painter wearing suite or a gardener wearing a gown? They are even more artistic right?

Think these people knows when to dress up when not to. I've met some very artistic intl photographers wearing only singlets and flip flops looking scruffy, but looking buff and suave, their works are something else. But seriously, they sweat so much, can't blame them and they're just being real and unpretentious rather than a tubby man wearing a photographers vest, hat, full set of equips and monopods giving out cards to underaged girls and can shoot for nuts. Just from the little experience I've seen.

You never heard of a saying ? - "never judge a book by its cover"

If client decide their photographer base on how they dress instead of the results they deliver, then they also have poor judgement.

Some times photographers need to lay on the floor to take a special angle shot :bsmilie:

You expect them to wear a tuxedo ?

Why is this so? I hardly see well-dressed photographers.

Not to criticise, but generally, i find that photography is aesthetically-inclined so i find this ironic.

How can the clients expect good results if the photographer doesnt have an eye for good taste? How to be sure that a photographer knows what he is doing if he dresses sloppily?

Same idea with wearing shirts and ties for interviews.

As for major events, is it about respecting the occasion, vips, and guests or to blend in by being invisible and to shoot well(not to disturb natural flow and subjects) Or both- but not to stand out? What is the compromise?
Or is the main idea, is to be detached from it so that the photographers can focus?

Any Constructive comments please? No trolls please

and how often do you see photographers at work ?
what genre of photography u talking about ?
I personally feel that photographers these days dress up quite well

Yes I do notice that they wear "Kiam Chye" but I think like what others said, it's because their work demands them to dress comfortably.

I assisted in fashion shoots (as Assistant Stylist) before, and even the stylists themselves wear kiam chye. But DAMN their styling is DAMN impressive. I worked with Furqan Saini once, he was wearing a simple red tee and berms if I remember correctly. But when you see his work.......*JAW DROPS*.

My favourite fashion stylist is Grace Coddington but I don't think I'll ever get the chance to see what she wears when she does shoots. Haha.

Unless you're taking pictures of yourself. If not it's just too uncomfortable to wear suits, long sleeves shirt.

Comfort at work , then the creative juice will flow.

But having said that, I have seen two photographers doing outdoor wedding shoots in Odori while I was in Hokkaido during summer ( which was still not really hot compared to Singapore ). Both of them wore really nice ties, long sleeve dress shirts with cuff links.

From the local wedding dinners that I have attended, I yet to see any shabbily dressed AD photographers. I have even seen one wearing a nice work coat.

Ryan

Is it easy to roll around the group and squatting down in an evening gown/suit? Will it take all the accessories the photog needs? Is it functional?

Hmm...

You should see photogs on their day off instead before saying this right?

If given a dress code, abide by it. If not, dress what you're comfortable with.

Comfortable clothes are never glamorous. When have to work, i can imagine you wear heeds and tight fitting dress.

I think neat is the key word.

Anyone watched September Issue?

I think Grace Coddington was dressed very simply also for shoots. She was wearing all black if I remember.
I can remember her quote, not exactly word for word -> "Keep watching out the window when you're travelling, because whatever you see can inspire you".

unless there is dress code... else i think comfort and flexibility (wearing tight pants restrict your movements) to the photographer is more important... u dun want the photographer to miss shots when he keep sweating profusely wearing a suite under a hot sun?

maybe must ask those photographers shooting at Tatler events. I am sure they will be required to dress reasonably smartly for the events.

Meanwhile I think photographers are doing their job, dress professionally but suitably, just like every other professional doing their job.

The days of 1960s photographers in vests, button down shirts, chinoys, and leather shoes are wayyyy over.

The process of taking a photograph often has little to do with aesthetics of dressing.

Maybe to put it into perspective, landscape photographers don't exactly have anything much to do with people; in Singapore the most prevalent genre of photography which professionals engage in seems to be wedding photography and how many wedding photographers you know can tell the bride that her gown is not so nice and she would look better in something else? Definitely not - they probably just work with the hand that they are dealt.

Even for fashion photographers, my understanding is that the stylist does the job, and the photographer just shoots. There are of course exceptions, like the self-portrait photographers - when they are their own subject, they have to dress up appropriately (and even then self-portraits don't always focus on the aesthetics).

So you are just linking two very unrelated points together under a broad concept called "aesthetics". Arranging elements in a photograph, understanding light, that has little to do with dressing. One might as well say that because a computer programmer is very good at programming, he should be good in technology but no one understands why he can't fix his pipe or garage door by himself. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
That's because people want free photography.

Free already some more want well dressed?

Pay them well first so that they can afford a decent shirt.

kelso-burn-240x180.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.