Most challenging Question ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tripod, self timer. You are not in the pix.

there's a kind of glass/prism thing that lets you position your camera sideways while it captures the reflection off the mirror.

mirror
---------------
.\
.x\ glass/prism thingy.... camera
.xx \ xxxx <---[o] point there

X
you stand here

it is used in some stage performances for special effects by altering the light source..

yanyewkay said:
there's a kind of glass/prism thing that lets you position your camera sideways while it captures the reflection off the mirror.

mirror
---------------
.\
. \ glass/prism thingy camera
. \ <---[o] point there

X
you stand here

it is used in some stage performances for special effects by altering the light source..

for that to work, you have to be in the dark, else you'll still be in the reflection. which in that case, might as well, just stand infront of the camera and in the dark, hence the photographer will not be captured.

i misread the question.. i tot it was how to shoot yourself in the mirror without hte camera...

anyway... why would you want to shoot the mirror without you in it? then as long as you shoot at an angle will do right? you not inside!

EDIT: sorry din't see directly.. my bad..

manx said:
How to shoot a mirror directly without yourself ?

simple .... but what do you want to see in the mirror?

Stand 100m away, use a 1000mm telescopic lens to shoot .......

Stupid answer for a stupid question.

manx said:

This is "easily" done two ways.

1 Shoot digitally with yourself in the mirror and then remove your image.

2 The traditional way to do this is to use a view camera with a lens with sufficient image circle. Position the camera away from the direct line of the mirror and then shift the lens sideway. And voila! It is done. Used very commonly to take a shot of a woman facing the mirror directly, yet without the photographer in the reflection.

You can take the photo of the mirror with a large 2-way mirror in-between.

student said:
This is "easily" done two ways.

1 Shoot digitally with yourself in the mirror and then remove your image.

2 The traditional way to do this is to use a view camera with a lens with sufficient image circle. Position the camera away from the direct line of the mirror and then shift the lens sideway. And voila! It is done. Used very commonly to take a shot of a woman facing the mirror directly, yet without the photographer in the reflection.
very hard leh the first way. too much data loss.

i think best way is still use view camera + shift and tilting.

let me rephrase the question..correct me if i'm wrong ..

u want to shoot the mirror directly straight-on ... but avoid capturing the photographer+camera as well in the shot?

manx said:

ah...this is not one of those recent tricky test scenarios that's been making the rounds in the kopitiam right? Another teaser quiz heheh...

If this is for real, this is really a no brainer with a DSLR leh. Place camera with tripod infront of mirror. As it was mentioned by some here, place it on timer or remote and then move out of the way.* With the camera being small, it is alot easier to digitally erase the camera/tripod from the mirror scene by cloning the image away in the mirror (which could be some lightly textured wall or basic background which makes cloning easy. BTW if it is a mirror, how do you tell what the mirror is reflecting thus you can in effect take out the entire mirror and shoot it then use Photoshop to superimpose a scene inside the mirror frame area. With traditional film camera, as mentioned by the few here, the shift+tilting lens will do that trick for sure.

* I did this late last year when I was shooting a spa room which was very small. I had to shoot from the doorway into the small room to capture the entire room facility plus a jacuzzi on the right side wall and a bloody big mirror facing me and my camera at the far end of the room. No way to avoid it. So I just shot it and then digitally erase my camera/tripod from the mirror image

Use a 2-way mirror. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.