Most appropriate lens for moon photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chin

Oct 31, 2006
Singapore Central
If I am using a non full-frame DSLR (1.5x), what would be the most appropriate lens for moon photography. I tried shooting with a 200mm but the picture of the moon was far too small and it tended to over expose. For manual metering at ISO100, what would be the ideal aperture and shutter speed. All feedbacks appreciated.

500mm or longer.

telescope w adaptor ... trying to catch some tonight ... will try to post ...

I used a MF 300mm with a 2X TC before, making it 900mm effectively, however that it still barely enough. I would state that as the mininum if u wanna take decent shots of the moon.

moon.jpg

Try to shoot in M mode, or do a -5.0 in A mode.

telescope w adaptor ... trying to catch some tonight ... will try to post ...

Nexstar 5 (1250mm f/10) + D70s ISO200 1/250s (DX frame resized, no cropping)
MoonNx5D70s.jpg

Nexstar 5 (1250mm f/10) + D70s ISO200 1/250s (DX frame resized, no cropping)
MoonNx5D70s.jpg

Wow, is Nexstar5 a telescope?

I always wondered why the moon looks jagged at the top edge, so there is a big crater there.

There's only one camera that went to the moon. That's the one you should use.

A Nexstar 5? Where did you get it from? Astro Scientific? Do you take pictures piggybacking on the telescope?

there's no point piggybacking the on the scope as he isn't tracking the moon for long exposures. I believe he fitted his cam onto the scope for prime focus shooting.

No there is no point piggybacking if you are shooting the moon. The short exposure does not warrant the need to anyway. I'm referring more to other deep sky objects.

No. There are some DSO that requires piggybacking. For eg, the Helix Neb, the Barnard's loop etc, that are too big to do prime focusing.

A Nexstar 5? Where did you get it from? Astro Scientific? Do you take pictures piggybacking on the telescope?

Mine was mail ordered but you can get from Astro Sceintific also. I don't piggy back because 1) I don't have a piggyback mount, 2) the Nexstar is an Alt-Az mount so it will not track the sky perfectly (there will be some field rotation) like a properly aligned an equatorial mount, so I can't do decent long exposures anyway. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.