Moscow Circus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royce

Aug 25, 2003
Singapore
www.roycelithgo.com
The only decent shots i managed to get before being told that i would have to stop shooting cos my camera looked 'too professional'.

DSC_2167.jpg

DSC_2173.jpg

DSC_2174.jpg

DSC_2175.jpg

Warning: if you plan to go to this event and want to shoot, try to take as inconspicuous camera gear as possible. Photography is allowed, but if you look anything remotely close to professional, they will ask you to stop. In fact i was doing fine until i took out the 70-200 VR. I ended up speaking to the producer and he said to me in the past some photog with gear like mine took pictures and sold them without permission. I said the pics were for personal use only and he said that's what the other photogs said too. He said don't blame him, blame the other photogs. :dunno:

nice pictures royce

but it's sad isn't it? its always a few bad eggs who will spoil the pleasure for the masses.

but with cameras getting more advanced, they'll soon ban all photo taking one day...
there are super zoom cameras with image stabilizers that can do a pretty good job also, and those are small and inconspicous.

a word to remember: RESPECT

Nice circus shots.

Wanted to go and check it out and take some pictures as well, but if you say can't bring in a SLR because it looks 'too professional', then I will just give it a miss. Think a 70-200mm with hood attached would be screaming for security's attention. I'm sure many other photographers after reading your thread will decide not to go as well.

What a pity that 'too professional' cameras arn't allowed. Looks like its times like these that our Prosumer carrying friends with their IS/VR technology, fast lens and 5-10x optical zoom have an advantage over us.

Thanks for the comments. :)

I tried to explain to the Producer that there were other cameras in the crowd which were just as capable as mine. Also I noticed some people in the crowd videoing as well (using digicams). :nono: It's a shame that he was so distrusting, but i guess he's been burned in the past thanks to, as you say, a few bad eggs.

Well anyway, I ended up watching all of the show with my own eyes (instead of through the view finder) and probably enjoying it more than if I'd been focussed on taking pics. There were some pretty spectacular scenes that would've made nice shots tho. The costumes for the dancing girls were very good. :thumbsup:

mr_jason said:
Nice circus shots.

Wanted to go and check it out and take some pictures as well, but if you say can't bring in a SLR because it looks 'too professional', then I will just give it a miss. Think a 70-200mm with hood attached would be screaming for security's attention. I'm sure many other photographers after reading your thread will decide not to go as well.

What a pity that 'too professional' cameras arn't allowed. Looks like its times like these that our Prosumer carrying friends with their IS/VR technology, fast lens and 5-10x optical zoom have an advantage over us.
Very true... a prosumer with bigger optics could easily get the pics. Depending on your kit, you might be able to get away with it. If I had taken off my vertical grip, used built-in flash (on D100) and used my smaller lenses I suspect they wouldn't have noticed me. The 70-200 was the thing that they noticed.

Royce said:
Very true... a prosumer with bigger optics could easily get the pics. Depending on your kit, you might be able to get away with it. If I had taken off my vertical grip, used built-in flash (on D100) and used my smaller lenses I suspect they wouldn't have noticed me. The 70-200 was the thing that they noticed.

Then I guess bringing a tripod in would be out of the question also.

What focal length were you shooting on the 70-200mm? Just wondering if my 85mm prime would be able to be enough reach.

As for the circus itself, any animals such as elephants, lions or tigers? I went to the Moscow Circus when they came to Singapore many many years back, and i remember there being these animals then. But I heard that these animals are not allowed in the circus anymore? Saw some dogs and smaller animals on the TV trailor though.

i was at Genting and caught their own homegrown production, Fantastica. They outright banned ALL photographic and videographic equipment.... with a disclaimer that they'd be confiscated if used.

Royce said:
Thanks for the comments. :)

Well anyway, I ended up watching all of the show with my own eyes (instead of through the view finder) and probably enjoying it more than if I'd been focussed on taking pics. There were some pretty spectacular scenes that would've made nice shots tho. The costumes for the dancing girls were very good. :thumbsup:
you're right actually, if you go just to watch the show, it's a whole lot different. you give your full attention to the show instead of thinking abt angles and compostions and what will make a nice shot.

Nice pictures... makes me wanna go too... maybe I can slip my Prosumer cam to take more shots to share huh? ;)

mr_jason said:
Then I guess bringing a tripod in would be out of the question also.

What focal length were you shooting on the 70-200mm? Just wondering if my 85mm prime would be able to be enough reach.

As for the circus itself, any animals such as elephants, lions or tigers? I went to the Moscow Circus when they came to Singapore many many years back, and i remember there being these animals then. But I heard that these animals are not allowed in the circus anymore? Saw some dogs and smaller animals on the TV trailor though.
Tripod definitely a no no.
We were sitting ringside, so pretty close to the action. I was using 50mm prime for the shots here. Ideally i would have had my 28-70 and that would've pretty much covered it. Was hoping to get some tight shots with the 70-200, but it was only on for a few minutes before asked me to stop shooting. :(

Only animals were dogs and horses - no elephants, lions or tigers.

xaer said:
Nice pictures... makes me wanna go too... maybe I can slip my Prosumer cam to take more shots to share huh? ;)

It's really worth it if you get the chance. Quite a good show.
I'd like to see more shots too. What camera you got?

I'm kicking mnyself i didn't bring the A80 as backup. Where i was sitting i could've got some good shots with it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.