Morning Sun

bkkoo78

Oct 13, 2010
5114489000_18e11f625b_b.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

Everything

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want to show life in the early morning sun.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

HAzy and Warm morning, W/O tripod, Flash Fired, Fnumber: 5.6, 0.005 sec shutter,

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

How can I make this picture better? Composition? Shutter? ISO? Wish to learn more as I am a newbie

Hi bkkoo78, firstly welcome to Clubsnap :). Ok, here are my thoughts on the image,
Composition - Its good that you have used the concept of using a foreground to establish a sense of depth and distance. But in this case, the focus on the flowers and leaves have taken the attention away from the sun. The flowers appear to be the main subject and the sun in the background. It seems like you took this shot with flash, this creates harsh shadows. First option is always to use a tripod before raising the ISO, you would want to keep to the base ISO of 100/200 (depending on camera) to maintain the full dynamic range of your camera. Also, try to experiment without flash and see the difference :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

Hi bkkoo78, firstly welcome to Clubsnap :). Ok, here are my thoughts on the image,
Composition - Its good that you have used the concept of using a foreground to establish a sense of depth and distance. But in this case, the focus on the flowers and leaves have taken the attention away from the sun.

So do i use tripod + high fnumber so I can get Sun, flower and leave to be on "distanace"?

The flowers appear to be the main subject and the sun in the background. It seems like you took this shot with flash, this creates harsh shadows.

Yes, i did use the flash.. Else the whole picture looks super dark, is there way I use a flash but lighten the flash light? cause I am using the nikon d3100, with pop up flash. Is there a way to reduce the flash other than photoshop?

First option is always to use a tripod before raising the ISO, you would want to keep to the base ISO of 100/200 (depending on camera) to maintain the full dynamic range of your camera. Also, try to experiment without flash and see the difference :)

Thanks for the tip. I was on the way to work, will bring the lighter tripod next time.

1) So do i use tripod + high fnumber so I can get Sun, flower and leave to be on "distanace"?
2) Yes, i did use the flash.. Else the whole picture looks super dark, is there way I use a flash but lighten the flash light? cause I am using the nikon d3100, with pop up flash. Is there a way to reduce the flash other than photoshop?

Hi, you're welcomed.
With regards to your queries, the choice of DOF (f number) that you use is ok but I think you should set your focus to be on the sun instead of the flower. For built in flash, you can diffuse the flash simply by holding a thin piece of tissue paper over it (if you dun have any proper diffuser on hand). However, having a dark image only means your exposure setting is incorrect, you can either up your ISO, increase shutter speed or open up the aperture. If only the leaves and flower are dark but the sky is ok, then you probably need to use a GND filter to get a more even exposure.

Hi, you're welcomed.
With regards to your queries, the choice of DOF (f number) that you use is ok but I think you should set your focus to be on the sun instead of the flower.

ok ok... Understand what you mean.

For built in flash, you can diffuse the flash simply by holding a thin piece of tissue paper over it (if you dun have any proper diffuser on hand).

Oh... that is new to me... thanks for the tip... Never thought of using tissue paper before.

However, having a dark image only means your exposure setting is incorrect, you can either up your ISO, increase shutter speed or open up the aperture. If only the leaves and flower are dark but the sky is ok, then you probably need to use a GND filter to get a more even exposure.

Yes... Only the leaves and flower are dark and the sky is ok... So I use a GND filter vertically? the dark side on the sun and light side on the flower+leave? Sorry... dont understand this part of using the GND filter.. (newbie here) I will try to upload the other dark picture if I still have it.

So I use a GND filter vertically? the dark side on the sun and light side on the flower+leave?

Yes the dark side on the sun/sky and light side on the flower+leave, in this case it won't be vertical, you'll have to rotate the GND filter into that manner. After doing that, you can increase your shutter speed to make a longer exposure and get the leaves exposed properly. However, depending on the brightness of the sun/sky, you'll have to strike a balance. :)

my take. i think ur picture shows more of the haze than the sun actually. for me, i dun think the image works. too much clutter around the right, too little on the left. feels very imbalanced.

next up: the sky. it looks as dead as it can be... must pick a better timing thats what i feel.

i spot a speck of dust. top left. u might wanna get ur lens/sensor cleaned for it...

its kinda... wrong circumstances to take a shot i guess. might wanna choose a better timing. anyways, suggests to push saturation up a little bit. u wanna show life, but the colors are too neutral

Yes the dark side on the sun/sky and light side on the flower+leave, in this case it won't be vertical, you'll have to rotate the GND filter into that manner. After doing that, you can increase your shutter speed to make a longer exposure and get the leaves exposed properly. However, depending on the brightness of the sun/sky, you'll have to strike a balance. :)

Thanks alot for your knowledge.

my take. i think ur picture shows more of the haze than the sun actually. for me, i dun think the image works. too much clutter around the right, too little on the left. feels very imbalanced.

next up: the sky. it looks as dead as it can be... must pick a better timing thats what i feel.

i spot a speck of dust. top left. u might wanna get ur lens/sensor cleaned for it...

its kinda... wrong circumstances to take a shot i guess. might wanna choose a better timing. anyways, suggests to push saturation up a little bit. u wanna show life, but the colors are too neutral

1.) I will take note of the balancing of object next time.

2.) Thanks for that comment, I will clean the lens/sensor.

3.) Hmmm... What timing would be better? I took this picture around 8.15am ( I think ). I would think it was the haze that was not giving the light I want.

3.) Sorry, how do I push up the saturation? Are you referring to photoshoping? I did not do any photoshop to this picture.

1.) I will take note of the balancing of object next time.

2.) Thanks for that comment, I will clean the lens/sensor.

3.) Hmmm... What timing would be better? I took this picture around 8.15am ( I think ). I would think it was the haze that was not giving the light I want.

3.) Sorry, how do I push up the saturation? Are you referring to photoshoping? I did not do any photoshop to this picture.

ok... part by part.

for me, if i want a colored sky, its either 7 in morning, (hopefully haze clears) or 7 at night. usually the blue is very strong, sometimes u can get a reddish hue too. in singapore its hard to get that kind of color cause we have too much clouds. sky always looks white.:sweat:

and yes i understand the haze situation. just a suggestion to wait till haze clears:) dun worry.

and yes u might need to photoshop, to bring out stronger colors. in camera can increase saturation, btu i personally prefer my originals to be as neutral as possible to maintain maximum color (which i can draw out during photoshop)

i suggest recomposing the photo may help more haha:) jiayous!

ok... part by part.

for me, if i want a colored sky, its either 7 in morning, (hopefully haze clears) or 7 at night. usually the blue is very strong, sometimes u can get a reddish hue too. in singapore its hard to get that kind of color cause we have too much clouds. sky always looks white.:sweat:

and yes i understand the haze situation. just a suggestion to wait till haze clears:) dun worry.

and yes u might need to photoshop, to bring out stronger colors. in camera can increase saturation, btu i personally prefer my originals to be as neutral as possible to maintain maximum color (which i can draw out during photoshop)

THanks for all your comments.

I will try to remember the timing that you have mentioned.

Photoshopping... I dont really like to photoshop things... like making the pictures not original. But that my personal thinking, no ofference to you.. :)

Thanks for all your advice.

the colour of the bougainvillea is most unflattering for the flower. Probably is the haze. For me, I will "tune up" the colour a little bit during pp.

Another thing that will help for this kind of shot is the use of compression. Google for photo lens compression for more info.