morning by Lake Kenyir

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQ123

Jul 14, 2006
processed_lake_kenyir_1r.jpg

C&C welcome for my very first photo posted in CS! :embrass:
This pic was taken few months ago during a trip to Lake Kenyir.
Taken early in the morning when the sun was just up, and the lake was still misty.
No PP done, except adding borders & intitial to pic with PS element (1st time trying PS too!) :sweat:

Wondering if there was a specific subject of attention? The sunlight, the lake, the house, or the canoes? The lighting has washed out the colors. Usually the morning sun should cast more interesting colors in the sky. How does the picture compare to what was seen?

What did you like about this picture?
Everything looks washed out

Wondering if there was a specific subject of attention? The sunlight, the lake, the house, or the canoes? The lighting has washed out the colors. Usually the morning sun should cast more interesting colors in the sky. How does the picture compare to what was seen?

Hmmm ... So by putting everything (ie. sunlight, lakehouse, lake and kayaks) together will make me loose subject of attention. Ok point taken ... guess I was too greedy trying to include all. :sweat: So how should I recompose to make it better?

I'm not sure if it was the morning mist/fog that caused the colours to be 'washed out'. ;p or perhaps the sunlight sort of caused some overexposure. :embrass:

ooh i went to lake kenyir close to a decade ago haha! nice place huh?
anyway, watch for your exposure especially when your camera is pointing straight at the sun. expose your shot at a 'medium' bright subject so as not to overexpose or underexpose your shot. it takes practice to get the perfect shot, nice try though ;)

"Less is more". Actually it's hard not to be "greedy" :) especially on trips when we want to show friends/relatives everything we experienced. Take some shots for casual sharing, and more "serious" shots for experimentation. If the lake is really nice (I've not been there), perhaps the canoes and water would be good enough? I'm still experimenting so I just take different compositions to see which one looks good and try to figure out why.

cheers

Hmmm ... So by putting everything (ie. sunlight, lakehouse, lake and kayaks) together will make me loose subject of attention. Ok point taken ... guess I was too greedy trying to include all. :sweat: So how should I recompose to make it better?

I'm not sure if it was the morning mist/fog that caused the colours to be 'washed out'. ;p or perhaps the sunlight sort of caused some overexposure. :embrass:

ooh i went to lake kenyir close to a decade ago haha! nice place huh?
anyway, watch for your exposure especially when your camera is pointing straight at the sun. expose your shot at a 'medium' bright subject so as not to overexpose or underexpose your shot. it takes practice to get the perfect shot, nice try though ;)

yup. it's a very serene place to go to. Nice scenery, where you can totally immense yourself with the nature and cut yourself away from the outside world. No phone receptions, no TV receptions, power only available rarely by running a portable generator... :cool:
The 'house' in the pic taken was actually a 'boat house'!

I'll watch my exposure. thanks for the advice here. :)

"Less is more". Actually it's hard not to be "greedy" :) especially on trips when we want to show friends/relatives everything we experienced. Take some shots for casual sharing, and more "serious" shots for experimentation. If the lake is really nice (I've not been there), perhaps the canoes and water would be good enough? I'm still experimenting so I just take different compositions to see which one looks good and try to figure out why.

cheers

Thanks for advice! Will experiment more myself too! ;)

I actually like the mood of this pic... cheers

wee...uppzzz ^^

watch your exposure..

happy shooting^^

ok. will watch exposure. :sweat:
and I'l definitely continue shooting. ;)

In making a photograph, exposure and composition are the most important things to me. For this image, the composition, while ok, is not very inspiring. The exposure is shot.

There is therefore much to improve for this image. For landscape imaging, you will often need to use filters because the camera often cannot handle the wide dynamic range of the scene. Alternatively, you can use the lazy method and use HDR merging to achieve a similar effect. Having tried both, I still love the traditional method best, but it's up to you.

In making a photograph, exposure and composition are the most important things to me. For this image, the composition, while ok, is not very inspiring. The exposure is shot.

There is therefore much to improve for this image. For landscape imaging, you will often need to use filters because the camera often cannot handle the wide dynamic range of the scene. Alternatively, you can use the lazy method and use HDR merging to achieve a similar effect. Having tried both, I still love the traditional method best, but it's up to you.

filters? HDR?:sweat:
Forgot to mention that I was using a very outdated 3.2MP olympus MjU 300 P&S to shoot that photo. :embrass: soI don't think I can use filters nor do any fanciful manual settings to my camera.
I reckon it was more practical to bring a P&S camera to that ulu ulu place at that time, where even electricity is scarce and lots of kayaking & jungle trekking expected.

But I'll take your advice on watching my exposure for my shots. :) Thanks.

But then again, would the 'mood' of the picture be gone if the boathouse and the rest of the picture be well exposed (brighter) and clearer? Advice/comments?

But then again, would the 'mood' of the picture be gone if the boathouse and the rest of the picture be well exposed (brighter) and clearer? Advice/comments?

Depends. What do want to achieve by creating the overexposed portion? What gain is there in that? If overexposure adds to the picture, by all means overexpose. If it doesn't, then it is a fault.

Depends. What do want to achieve by creating the overexposed portion? What gain is there in that? If overexposure adds to the picture, by all means overexpose. If it doesn't, then it is a fault.

Ok. Point taken. :)

filters? HDR?:sweat:
Forgot to mention that I was using a very outdated 3.2MP olympus MjU 300 P&S to shoot that photo. :embrass: soI don't think I can use filters nor do any fanciful manual settings to my camera.
I reckon it was more practical to bring a P&S camera to that ulu ulu place at that time, where even electricity is scarce and lots of kayaking & jungle trekking expected.

But I'll take your advice on watching my exposure for my shots. :) Thanks.

hmmmm .. saw this accessory being introduced while flipping through one of the oversea's photography magazines today :
ffast2.jpg

looks like I was wrong. P&S can attach filters too. :sweat:

found a review about this attachment online too: http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=146

Status
Not open for further replies.