More than just money in life... perspective...

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Recently money is on the minds of everyone:
- shares, property, jobs, recession, the economy...

Let me share an ad by Petronas which puts things into perspective a little....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRPpSYr220

Last edited:
If i am not wrong, the director is none others than the late Yasmin Ahmad. She is good, very very good :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yasmin Ahmad (July 1, 1958 - July 25, 2009) was a critically-acclaimed multi-award winning film director, writer and scriptwriter from Malaysia and was also the executive creative director at Leo Burnett Kuala Lumpur. Her television commercials and films are well-known in Malaysia for their humour, heart and love that crosses cross-cultural barriers, in particular her ads for Petronas, the national oil and gas company. Her works have won multiple awards both within Malaysia and internationally.

sad to say in sg, is hard to survive without any proper job...

I think the whole idea of this CNY ad is about real success. Real success is not measured merely by how much you earn but also how you love others.

this is good.

Do not underestimate the 'power' of such ads..
Just to share a personal story.

I was working in Shanghai then, cushy job, short hrs...
Was planning perhaps my wife can join me over there at a later date, but I know that my parents will never be able, or want to adapt to living over there.

My personality is rather independant and not feeling particularly homesick and stuff..But one nite, just b4 going to bed, I watched a program and the presenter asked this qn, roughly translated..

" If you say that you're working hard for your family, but then where are u?"

This qn kindda clears the doubts for me and I tendered my resignation soon after..
Now back in SIN, working low pay,long hrs, not so nice environment, complaining once in a while...but

I'm sure my parents and wife will not be complaining.:)
They were very supportive of me going there to work, but deep down , I know otherwise.
Its all abt personal priorities, and I guess, no right or wrong, but just, to each his own...

Last edited:
Bro what you gain, is priceless...
I have a friend earning 500 to 800k a year in HKG, and he is miserable, and working mad hours and has short fleeting affairs...
I decided this is not what I want.

I was working in Shanghai then, comfortable job, short hrs, ok pay.
Was planning perhaps my wife can join me over there at a later date, but I know that my parents will never be able, or want to adapt to living over there.

My personality is rather independant and not feeling particularly homesick and stuff..But one nite, just b4 going to bed, I watched a program and the presenter asked this qn, roughly translated..

This qn kindda clears the doubts for me and I tendered my resignation soon after..
Now back in SIN, working low pay,long hrs, not so nice environment, complaining once in a while...but

Its all abt personal priorities, and I guess, no right or wrong, but just, to each his own...

in the pursuit of material wealth, often spiritual wealth is neglected. sad...that petronas ad is one of my fav...

As someone who has work overseas for the past few years, I can relate to your story.

My advice is;

If you are single, unattached, go for it! It's an eye opener and you'll come back appreciating Singapore more.

If you are married, and the overseas opportunity comes along, make sure your wife is part of the package and she goes with you. If not, then it's a no deal regardless of how attractive the offer is, and don't tell yourself that "it's only short term, for 2-3 years only" - it just doesn't work that way. Husband and wife must not live apart, period.

I was working in Shanghai then, comfortable job, short hrs, ok pay.

They were very supportive of me going there to work, but deep down , I know otherwise.

As someone who has work overseas for the past few years, I can relate to your story.

My advice is;

If you are single, unattached, go for it! It's an eye opener and you'll come back appreciating Singapore more.

If you are married, and the overseas opportunity comes along, make sure your wife is part of the package and she goes with you. If not, then it's a no deal regardless of how attractive the offer is, and don't tell yourself that "it's only short term, for 2-3 years only" - it just doesn't work that way. Husband and wife must not live apart, period.

Yes,I agree on e single, unattached part..DAMN!.llol Eyes look hands no touch...heeheee:sweatsm::sweat: Woooo....ok ok control control...

But I was also tinking more abt my parents, a short 2-3yrs only to us may not be much, but well, u know, theres always only so many 2-3yrs in life...

Our time is really finite, and we often really do not need those extra material wealth..
BUT yes, the experience is precious, just remember to come home/call often.

They'll say dont waste money fly here thr etc, but hey, u know better.:)
Not preaching, like I say, to each his own.

Last edited:
Money is important.
Especially when we don't have enough. That's 99.9% of the rest of us.
It depends on a person's personality.
Some are crude about money-grubbing and it all hangs out.

Financial independence is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.