More Professionals Use Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alastdin

Feb 18, 2004
CCK, Singapore
It's an impression I get, but it seems more professional photogrs use Nikon than Canon. It's not that I'm turning professional, it's just that there has got to be some valid reason.

I currently use a Canon digital, and I've not bought too much stuff to make a switch too prohibitive. Anyone been in this dilema before and came out better for it?

alastdin said:
It's an impression I get, but it seems more professional photogrs use Nikon than Canon. It's not that I'm turning professional, it's just that there has got to be some valid reason.

I currently use a Canon digital, and I've not bought too much stuff to make a switch too prohibitive. Anyone been in this dilema before and came out better for it?

Didn't you see all those huge white lenses during a soccer match?? :D
Those are Canon lenses. :devil:

alastdin said:

Just curious...... Is it that important to you that more pros are using Nikon than Canon? So much so that you yourself need to switch to Nikon. Or are you just trying to justify a switch? Do you think Nikon will make you a better photographer?

mervlam said:

i thought those were Minoltas? :devil:

All right, enough of jokes. I don't think the brand equates anyone to being 'pro'. Won't be surprised if there is a real gd pro somewhere out there who is keeping faith with minolta/HP?/what have you.. ;p

Woo, this is a potential flame baiter. Keep it in check guys. ;)

Regards

Well he might be thinking that Nikons might have something to offer that the other brands dun. And so his impression that most pros use Nikon.

I'm quite sure that Minolta is not the most popular brand amongst pros. Other than that, I really have no idea. :D

Wryer said:
i thought those were Minoltas? :devil:

All right, enough of jokes. I don't think the brand equates anyone to being 'pro'. Won't be surprised if there is a real gd pro somewhere out there who is keeping faith with minolta/HP?/what have you.. ;p

Woo, this is a potential flame baiter. Keep it in check guys. ;)

Regards

exactly... what i really dont understand is why some people have the misconception that more pros use Nikon... that's very shallow of them.

Both brands (Canon & Nikon) can perform equally well. It's a matter of personal choice.

use large format with bellows...

alastdin said:

sigh... ask yourself, "am i happy with my stuff now?" if your answer is "yes", does it really matter what the pros use? if your answer is "no", then you're stuffed, so does it really matter what the pros use?

As noted, this thread will potentially draw flames. So..

Warning: Personal attacks or name calling will result in the immediate closure of this thread.

mervlam said:

I've said it a number of times and I'll say it again. There are at least as many Nikon snappers as there are Canon snappers for football at the highest level.

And not all the white lenses are Canon lenses, I've definitely seen a couple of white 400 Nikkors.

patch17 said:
sigh... ask yourself, "am i happy with my stuff now?" if your answer is "yes", does it really matter what the pros use? if your answer is "no", then you're stuffed, so does it really matter what the pros use?

How about asking, "am I a pro?" if your answer is "yes", does it really matter what other pros use? if your answer is "no", then you're stuffed, so does it really matter what the pros use?

:devil:

Jed said:
I've said it a number of times and I'll say it again. There are at least as many Nikon snappers as there are Canon snappers for football at the highest level.

And not all the white lenses are Canon lenses, I've definitely seen a couple of white 400 Nikkors.
i'll 2nd Jed on that. there's quite a even spread of Nikon & Canon users for most sports AFAIK. and for event photogs, the brands about the same too, well at least i don't notice a significant difference.

something i noticed though, the older photogs who switched to digital all seem to favour Nikon (legacy issue i guess), and i've even seen one old-bird events guy using a Leica. and well the press people all use whatever the company gives them, so they don't really really have a choice (e.g. the ST people uses Nikon, while the Chinese press uses Canon, i think - i could be wrong).

pro = professional. ie; full-time photographer.

Come on, there are pros I know who resort to P&S cameras in dire situations, and they still turn out winning shots.
And in the case of professionals, especially the well-known ones, they just use whatever brand that's sponsoring them. It doesn't make a difference to them cos whatever they use, they still give the same level of standard.

Anyway, in terms of legacy, Canon started making cameras first btw. But Nikon has been making lenses longer. In fact, the glass for the first few Canon cameras were made by Nikon.

agape01 said:
I agree with Larry's assessment.

Straits Times Photogs use Nikon.

Lianhe Zaobao uses Canon.

Not exactly true, some of the photogs use their own cameras.

alastdin said:

Ask yourself this question 'Are you contented with what your Canon digital can provide you?'.
Why do you need to bother about what the Pros use? As long as you are happy and comfortable with your equipment, why be bothered what other people use?
Don't be a poser, just be yourself! :think:

If all the pro uses Nikon, so does using Nikon turns you also into a pro? (similiarily for Canon)
&
If you dun feel the differences, you dun need the differences.

Actually, I don't think we should be jumping on the original poster quite so quickly. Personally I thought his post was an honest one - he wants to know a reason if any for the perceived preference of Nikon over Canon. If there is a good reason for it, then it makes a lot of sense to know about the reason and therefore to make an informed choice.

*If* there is a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.