More? Less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Tuesday April 3, 2007

Letter from See Lay Keng

I am due to deliver my fourth child in a few weeks' time. Friends and relatives who have heard about my pregnancy have congratulated me and my husband for helping to up the national birth rate despite the impending Goods and Services Tax hike.

We enjoy raising our children and thus do not mind having more if we can afford it. We are not well-to-do but with a little sacrifice and belt-tightening, we can still enjoy family life with the new addition.

I was shocked recently when I checked with KK Hospital about the admission and hospitalisation charges for the delivery of my fourth child. If I book a B1 ward, the estimated bill size for the fourth child is $2,840, while that of the first to third child is $2,210. As the Medisave claimable is fixed in all cases, I am expected to pay an initial cash payment of $1,140 for the coming delivery, instead of $510 for the first to third child. The difference is a significant sum.

I was told that the charges by the doctor for the fourth birth is about double that of the first to third births. For example, for a normal delivery, an associate consultant will charge $1,057.80 for a fourth child but will charge $456.80 for the first to third child. I am bewildered.

Am I being penalised for having more children? I thought with our low national birth rate, the government is trying desperately to encourage all those who can to have more children. Or is this an old policy that has not been changed to reflect the current situation?

Reply: ---------------------

Letter from Karen Tan
Director, Corporate Communications, Ministry of Health

In "A penalty for having more children" (April 3), Ms See Lay Keng asked why KK Women's and Children Hospital's delivery charges for fourth order births are higher compared to lower order births. .

Delivery fees depend on the class of ward chosen and the birth order. Subsidies for higher order births are lower to reinforce the message that couples should plan their family size in accordance to what they can afford.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is so weird - if a family can only afford 0 kids, why doesn't the Government take the stand that it is alright since it is all they can afford? Why give subsidies and baby bonus to encourage people to have babies?

this is institutionalised discrimination?

The ministry that give out the bonus is different. So one give and one take. Where got all give one.

We are photographers... or we pretend to be photographers... we are not politicians !

Anyway why bother? Photographers or pretend photographers should not have any politicial views or inputs. :rolleyes:

We are photographers... or we pretend to be photographers... we are not politicians !

Anyway why bother? Photographers or pretend photographers should not have any politicial views or inputs. :rolleyes:

i dont get what you mean by we should not have any political views or inputs?

i think it's back to the 70s where the magic number then was 2, it's now 3.. stop at 3 or face the music.

Tuesday April 3, 2007

Letter from Karen Tan

In "A penalty for having more children" (April 3), Ms See Lay Keng asked why KK Women's and Children Hospital's delivery charges for fourth order births are higher compared to lower order births. .

Delivery fees depend on the class of ward chosen and the birth order. Subsidies for higher order births are lower to reinforce the message that couples should plan their family size in accordance to what they can afford.

wouldn't a counsellor be better in this case? More jobs can be created in that way :sweatsm:

i dont get what you mean by we should not have any political views or inputs?

Same question as aloyyolaaloy. Everyone here may and can have a political view. It does not matter what we are, photographers or not, politicians or not, we are entitled to our views, included political views.

you can ignore and live by your own, in your own world. :thumbsup:

Man is naturally a political animal :)

Reply: ---------------------

Letter from Karen Tan

this is a computer generated response
please do not reply to this message

I consider this a very simple and basis request. However, should anyone require any form of reminders, I would be quite happy to direct you to the TOS of CS.

Should anyone wish to discuss this matter or the issue of the pay raise, kindly take it somewhere else. This is a PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM.
If you wish to whine, go else where. This is not the forum for such discussion.

Let this serve as the last warning to one and all.

Subsequent actions will be taken without any further warning.

U wanna make him type something like this again ? :what:

Sammyboy is more liberal

But the bashing there is totally out of control :eek:

read between the lines, he is just echoing what the mods have always been saying. NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION here, not even a slight mention of anybody's names. After all pity them will you, we all know our dear PM reads this forum. Mods have their own rice bowls outside this forum to worry about. They wont want to get phone call in the night as someone once said from certain depts asking them why they are letting the forum get out of hand. For those who want to discuss such issues should go to the young *** forum. There one can discuss and no one will close the thread down.

Just thought of a new campaign tagline:

Have More Than Three if you REALLY can Afford it, REALLY*!

:angel:

*may apply to camera bodies, systems, etc.

For those who want to discuss such issues should go to the young *** forum. There one can discuss and no one will close the thread down.

That side is now a target board :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.