More DSLRs spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruggink

Jul 2, 2008
I had just attended a friend's wedding and was kinda surprised by the number of DSLRs spotted during the dinner. I counted 5 and managed to differentiate the "official" photographer among the few. He was using a Nikon system and being the AD photographer of the nite, I was also surprised not to find any gold ring on his Nikon lens. On the other hand, one of the bridegroom's guests had a L lens mounted on his Canon 40D. =.="

I'm kinda happy that more and more people are joining the world of DSLR. At the same time, I was really keen to see the work of the AD photographer, shot with his non-fast Nikkor lens.

It's usually not the type of gear that a photographer uses that determines his capability (prime or non prime etc), it's how he uses it that counts. Usually.

One of the reason which I believe the gain in dSLR popularity is the ease of use, lower price, small size, available of info and most importantly the less conservative setting dSLR has become. The older models of dSLR tend to be conservative in metering, focus and color such that simply point and shoot will not produce a decent result as compare to compact cameras which produce usable lighted picture consistently.

why are you so focused on the gear? what makes you think the as photographer needs to use G lenses? it's not the tools, it's the photographer. i'd bet that if he used a pns the shots would still be better than the 40D/L lens guest. too many people think you can only shoot good pictures if you buy the most expensive lens.

why are you so focused on the gear? what makes you think the as photographer needs to use G lenses? it's not the tools, it's the photographer. i'd bet that if he used a pns the shots would still be better than the 40D/L lens guest. too many people think you can only shoot good pictures if you buy the most expensive lens.

Very true.
its the man behind the cam
not the lens in front of the cam.
;)

definitely

but the gear does help in a small extent:)

ah .... on the one hand, it's great that people are trying to find ways to practice their creativity, otoh, every tom harry dick & their grandma has a camera, and really very often it just becomes another gear chasing status fad.

I'm kinda happy that more and more people are joining the world of DSLR. At the same time, I was really keen to see the work of the AD photographer, shot with his non-fast Nikkor lens.

Canon's 18-55mm kit can shoot weddings already.. L lens is not the end-all

As a wedding photographer , the main is the man behind the cam , not the body or lens , what the point if u have a super high end equipment , and the final product is lousy . i have seem many good shot done by outdated cam and lens . it quite disappointing if one is judge by the equipments itself . wedding photo is judge is judge by technique . well that my point of view ..

Last edited:
The lower price and also all the auto features, makes DSLR's more attractive to everyone now. They even have face detection included as an auto feature now!

But yep, it's really the person behind the equipment that makes the shots...

It is a crime being an official photographer using kit lenses ? Must all use the best lenses ? Can't they use any lens they want, so as long they produce the result the customer wants. Does it matters what he/she uses ? The official photographer is normally hired for the style and kind of pictures he can produce and not his equipment.

As for expensive equipment, I know many people, before they became my student, have better gear than I do, cannot take a good picture and blame their equipment.

Yes, DSLR is getting cheaper. Everyone will like to bring their camera to capture such events. As for me, I normally bring a P&S. Even I bring DSLR is for capturing my family & friends photo where the Official photographer never cover. Normally I do not take the Bride & Groom.

I believe the pragmatic reason behind the lower percentage of gold ring and L class lens is the high cost and not what most people think as kit doesn't matter. If you see lesser high priced item in a general community, it is normal distribution.

Stick with the rich people community and the reverse question will be asked "why there so few owning general cars".

Good glass doesn't translate to better photos - at most they might look sharper, weather proof the cam, blah. For all the TS know, they might be shooting P mode, whack the shot with pop up flash?

I prefer to look at the photos first before making comments. Recently came across a "photographer" who prides himself with years of experience but his photos doesn't really translate into that. So what if the gears are good?

i spot more and more people trying to hold down their popup flash these days, and they always look surprised when it pops up the first time!

:bsmilie:

it's ok, i've been there before.

Good glass doesn't translate to better photos - at most they might look sharper, weather proof the cam, blah. For all the TS know, they might be shooting P mode, whack the shot with pop up flash?

I prefer to look at the photos first before making comments. Recently came across a "photographer" who prides himself with years of experience but his photos doesn't really translate into that. So what if the gears are good?

Yap... a recent company event saw a guy with many years experience...
he use expensive gears... but still he sent us many underexposed shots...
some could even be easily corrected to the right exposure with pp but he also never correct
totally un-professional!

I also agreed that the main thing lies with the after product that is the photos that is being developed. I spoke to alot of photographer and they normally bring and buy what they need for the event.

A normal kit lens DSLR can win hands down if it is handed by the pros. Similiarly a 5D with L lens combi might be crappy to newbies like me.

well i guess , many bro here have said their point , so i do hope those or coming into wedding line , do not feel ashame of your gear . gold ring or no gold ring , L or no L , D3x or not D3x . it the technique that matters ....... only people who not into photogaphy will ask what cam u use ah ?

I have seen professional wedding photog who are deck with 1series & Ls yet produce pictures that can't hold a candle to the amateur/wkend photog in CS :)

yes, good lens and camera is important... granted. But even more so is the fellow utilizing it.

definitely

but the gear does help in a small extent:)

it all depends on the situation.

if you give a world-class photographer a d60 with a 18-55 kit lens, ask him to shoot a lowlight football match, he's going to have a very hard time, pure and simple.

it's time to stop making absolute statements like "it's all about skill and nothing to do with equipment" or "it's about lens, not the body". it clearly isn't, plus these statements are predicated on unrealistic absolutes -- for instance, a non-professional with good gear still has *some knowledge*, not zero knowledge. so the non-pro still can pull some good shots after some practice and reading up.

Status
Not open for further replies.