More difficult to get sharp images with A7R3

ernestt

Nov 18, 2011
After upgrading from A7 to A7R3, I realize that it is more difficult to get sharp images. I mean, the percentage of images taken with A7R3 is lower compared to A7.

Does anyone has similar experience and any suggestion on what to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: An drew

one eye jack

Jun 11, 2011
After upgrading from A7 to A7R3, I realize that it is more difficult to get sharp images. I mean, the percentage of images taken with A7R3 is lower compared to A7.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not a sony user. From A7 to A7R3 is 3 generation of technology improvement so I guess it's not uncommon people find bewildered by the features and the differences of how each camera work. I know it's no consolation if people tell you to read the camera user manual.

Of course you can search online for answers but it's not straight forward but with effort you can take an online tutorial like this focus masterclass by Mark Galer. Much useful tips.

[/URL]

one eye jack

Jun 11, 2011
Sorry the link above does not work. My appologies. Here it is again.

ernestt

Nov 18, 2011
I believe the subjects are in focus, but the entire image looks just a tiny bit fuzzy. Can tell the difference when comparing with other pictures taken with the same lens in the same environment that is sharp.

Sometimes I even wonder if the ibis is working well.

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
Do a structured test in order to find out whether it's the camera or yourself.
Use either a focus test chart or any other defined target, test on tripod with IBIS off etc., then test handheld.
When using handheld, make sure your shutter speed is fast enough (old rule of shutter speed = 1 / focal length or faster). Test with IBIS on and off.
The key is to keep all other parameters stable and only change one in order to see what the root cause is. In many cases the problem is behind the viewfinder. ;)

fuwen

Aug 11, 2004
Singapore, Woodlands
www.fuwen.net

Thanks in advance.
You upgraded from A7 to A7R3, and R3 has a very high resolution sensor. Higher resolution will also capture more obvious focusing error and camera shake. You try to take test shots on tripod with shutter speed 1/250 or more to confirm. With high resolution sensors you need to be more careful with focusing accuracy and camera shake.

Reactions: ernestt

kynoe

Oct 23, 2006
Post a few photos of what you mean by not sharp in high resolution JPEG. Probably we can diagnose from there