More Butterflies.


Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesteel

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2005
2,067
5
0
Sharing a few recent shots.

Comments and Critiques to improve shots most welcome




#1 Papilio demoleus malayanus (Lime Butterfly)




#2 Petrelaea dana dana (Dingy Line Blue)




#3 Everes lacturnus rileyi (Indian Cupid)




#4 Ionolyce helicon merguiana (Pointed Line Blue)




#5 Plastingia naga (Chequered Lancer)

 

jopel

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2004
1,175
1
0
lacks dof to be truly macros
 

Bluesteel

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2005
2,067
5
0
jopel said:
lacks dof to be truly macros
jopel ,

I am all ears .

Kindly elaborate which of them are lack of DOF , so that I can take note and improve in future.

Thanks in advance!:)
 

ortega

Moderator
Nov 2, 2004
23,700
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Overall images are abit soft.
Composition are all in the centre: If this is a theme, then i suppose it is OK
Foreground OOF distracts

Suggestions
#1 I feel it would be better if there was more leaf
#2 Dark line running horizontally somewhat merges with subject and bg is busy
#3 I feel that if more space in front of the subject would improve composition
#4 nothing to add to the general comments above
#5 I feel this is the best of the series, the pose looks like something is about to happen (take off?) Was fill flash used? It would bring out more details of the subject.
 

Bluesteel

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2005
2,067
5
0
ortega said:
Overall images are abit soft.
Composition are all in the centre: If this is a theme, then i suppose it is OK
Foreground OOF distracts

Suggestions
#1 I feel it would be better if there was more leaf
#2 Dark line running horizontally somewhat merges with subject and bg is busy
#3 I feel that if more space in front of the subject would improve composition
#4 nothing to add to the general comments above
#5 I feel this is the best of the series, the pose looks like something is about to happen (take off?) Was fill flash used? It would bring out more details of the subject.
Ortega ,

Yes ,concur with you that in general focus is a bit soft ,

#1-#4 noted on framing too center, compositions and distraction in both FG and BG.

#5. All the shots was taken with fill-flash in varying F settings and ISO , you are right to note that something was going to happen looking at its posture , the naga was very sensitive to flash , he was at the verge of taking off.


Thank you for the constructive comments and suggestions.

Will strive to improve.


:cheers:
 

ortega

Moderator
Nov 2, 2004
23,700
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
in general your DOF is also very shallow, my guess is around 2-3mm depth
so the whole butt is not in focus

it does not bother me, but i think from your views, you would like to know.
I feel that at least you must get the eyes/face sharp,
while it is good to have wing tips sharp as well in your composition.
 

Bluesteel

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2005
2,067
5
0
ortega ,

Thanks for the supplementary comments..

Have the honour of meeting John Cosgrove for a casual chat, and here is what he said on photo web sites in general:

"Dun waste time with some sites where the comment is one-liner ...

" your pic looks crappy or your pic is nice" .

At the end of the day . You are non the wiser to what make it crappy and what make it nice."

Constructive comments like yours with elabotations on how to make the pic less crappy or further strengthen it, is what one should expect in better forums.
 

travelocity

New Member
Dec 26, 2005
96
0
0
I like it. Good color excellent detail nice crop. Overall excellent image. The sharpness, light and the dof is very good.
 

Bluesteel

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2005
2,067
5
0
travelocity,

Thanks for viewing and the generous comments.

The best I can produce at this stage ,I am still grabbling with the variables and conditions in Macro shooting of butterflies.

Glad you like them and the ecouragement.


:cheers:
 

sumball

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,333
0
36
Hi Bluesteel,

I find your Indian Cupid is a bit soft and flat. Perhaps you could boost up the contrast by a bit to make the butt stand out form the BG?

Overall, I think you did very well recently and pretty productive while I am hibernating at home.
 

Federick

New Member
Jun 3, 2004
177
0
0
Toa Payoh
Sharpness wise, #4 is the best but wish the white thing (what was that ?) below the abdomen is not there.
 

Bluesteel

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2005
2,067
5
0
Hi Sumball .

Thanks, and noted comments on Indian Cupid .Need to improve my PS skills, have not really perfected my workflow as yet since moving into raw shooting this past month .

Federick,

What you see below the abdomen is a section of another leaf , on hindsight I should have PSed it away, agree that it is abit distracting.

Thanks for the comments .....Presenting a picture is just like typing, at times you dun quite see your obvious "spelling errors" till someone point it out.:embrass:


:cheers:
 

tchuanye

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
5,453
0
38
Visit site
#1: Nice composition, and lighting. But find the eye a little oof..just a little
#2:The horizon cuts across the butt, so does not work for me
#3: Like the composition, but as #1, eye and top wing slightly oof.
#4::thumbsup:
#5: Like the colour tones of the overall pic...kind of grey/black/white tone
 

Bluesteel

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2005
2,067
5
0
Arhh, here is the CSer that got me fired up on Macro!!:)

tchuanye,

It was your tiger beetle shot that got me into chasing them all over the park with my S2 IS in end Aug 2005. :)

28-08-2005, 11:51 PM #1
Bluesteel
New Member

I dated the Tiger Beetles

Apologies ! New to the forum and screwed up my image links earlier and had to delete and repost.

Inspired by tchuanye...... I blind dated the Tiger Beetles at Kent Ridge Park this afternoon.....luck was with me and found a few of them...

Now I understand why tchuanye said "if you need exercise" hahaha!

After an hour of close engagement ,involving the shuffle, duck walk and combat crawl LOL , I managed to snapped these which I think are presentable...... to my amateurist standard lah!

I am a newbie to photography and just picked up macro since I acquired the Canon S2 IS last month.

I am shooting with S2 IS with Canon 500D and Hoya Achromat +5 close up lens, and a slave Emoblitz DS328AZ flash mounted on a Sunblitz flash bracket.
Have since then went thru a Canon 300 and now on a 20 D with Tamron T180 macro


Thanks for dropping by and much appreciate your valuable inputs and comments!!


:cheers:
 

tchuanye

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
5,453
0
38
Visit site
Bluesteel said:
Arhh, here is the CSer that got me fired up on Macro!!:)

tchuanye,

It was your tiger beetle shot that got me into chasing them all over the park with my S2 IS in end Aug 2005. :)



Have since then went thru a Canon 300 and now on a 20 D with Tamron T180 macro


Thanks for dropping by and much appreciate your valuable inputs and comments!!


:cheers:
Now you brought it up, I do remember this post! :) No wonder found your nick abit familiar:D
Wah...but you really progressed not only with your equipment but also your shots too! Do keep posting!
 

ortega

Moderator
Nov 2, 2004
23,700
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Bluesteel said:
"Dun waste time with some sites where the comment is one-liner ...

" your pic looks crappy or your pic is nice" .

At the end of the day . You are non the wiser to what make it crappy and what make it nice."
i tought you did not like one liners? :dunno:
 

Bluesteel

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2005
2,067
5
0
ortega,

Your comments are certainly NOT such one-liner. you took the trouble of elaborating why , where ,what and suggestion(s) to make them work.

My defination of one-liner : A comment comprising of Just ONE SINGLE LINE that is superficial , without elaboration and/or value-added suggestions. such as :


ah beng
"your pictures lack of DOF"
which pic lack DOF ??? How to improve it?:dunno:


ah Kau
your pic is crappy, dun work with me.
what is so crappy about the pic ? What is wrong ? is it technical, composition ? what works with him?:dunno:


Ah Moi
Wha! Nice Pic, I like!
why she like the picture? Is it the colour. composition,mood etc.:dunno:
 

sumball

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,333
0
36
Bluesteel said:
Federick,

What you see below the abdomen is a section of another leaf , on hindsight I should have PSed it away, agree that it is abit distracting.
Federick said:
Sharpness wise, #4 is the best but wish the white thing (what was that ?) below the abdomen is not there.
I think the correct word should be thorax instead of abdomen :)
 

ortega

Moderator
Nov 2, 2004
23,700
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Bluesteel said:
ortega,

Your comments are certainly NOT such one-liner. you took the trouble of elaborating why , where ,what and suggestion(s) to make them work.

My defination of one-liner : A comment comprising of Just ONE SINGLE LINE that is superficial , without elaboration and/or value-added suggestions. such as :

which pic lack DOF ??? How to improve it?:dunno:

what is so crappy about the pic ? What is wrong ? is it technical, composition ? what works with him?:dunno:

why she like the picture? Is it the colour. composition,mood etc.:dunno:
:thumbsup: yup, that's the way it should be done and not get personal
 

Status
Not open for further replies.