Mooncakes - Buy! Eat! Buy! Eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drudkh

Mar 2, 2004
lulu island
Where to buy reasonable priced and delicious mooncakes?

Benign said:
I agree. Especially where I am staying now.....Aud$34 a box(4) is a rip-off :(

too bad cannot bring it in ;)

Visit the event's atrium at Takashimaya basement. Must be half of Singapore's mooncake makers there - Tung Lok, Raffles Hotel, Teochew Gardens, just to name a few.

I think they are all quite expensive but there are still lots of people buying. But I guess the retailers all rev up this buying by creating an atmosphere of celebration to a very traditional chinese festival - Mid Autum Festival.

So never mind lah: buy! buy! buy! and eat! eat! eat!

But after that hor, regret! regret! regret! cos gotta spend money on weight reducing program. So sad. :cry:

BTW, does drinking chinese tea help to reduce the side-effects har?

eng_keow said:
Visit the event's atrium at Takashimaya basement. Must be half of Singapore's mooncake makers there - Tung Lok, Raffles Hotel, Teochew Gardens, just to name a few.

I think they are all quite expensive but there are still lots of people buying. But I guess the retailers all rev up this buying by creating an atmosphere of celebration to a very traditional chinese festival - Mid Autum Festival.

So never mind lah: buy! buy! buy! and eat! eat! eat!

But after that hor, regret! regret! regret! cos gotta spend money on weight reducing program. So sad. :cry:

BTW, does drinking chinese tea help to reduce the side-effects har?
ohh, i'll go check it out maybe this friday after work. :D

Drudkh said:
What a coincidence to see this thread, especially I just came back from J.B after buying mooncakes with my folks.

I'm not saying the ones at Takashimaya basement is not good but somehow, their prices are really too high for just 4 pieces of pastries. Perhaps my family members have sensitive tastebuds but generally, we feel Singapore's pastries tend to be a tad too sweet for our liking.

However to those who are planning the thought of going to J.B and get their mooncakes - Don't go over the weekend. The line at the customs, especially the Malaysia customs is insane. I used my stopwatch and found out my family took 65 minutes to clear the Malaysia customs, and no, we took the bus. Plus, none of the aircons and fans were switched on in the room during those 65 minutes.

Just my two cents worth.

Sweat,
-Mich-

Drudkh said:

Was in Tampines and Century Square yestersday and the shopping mall is full of carts selling mooncakes, you can try and decided worth or not.
Someone send me a box of breadtalk moon cake and have try two type and find it nice but not sure what the price.

zaxh81 said:

You can bring them in, as long as they don't have yolks (ie. all the plain ones, even exotic flavors). Just make sure you have a plastic knife to cut one open for checking if necessary. Probably need to pass it through x-ray as well.

But it is possible ... a friend of mine is enjoying delicious mooncakes together with his family in the lucky country as we speak, bought on a short stopover a few days ago. Too bad he couldn't ta-pow nasi lemak and chicken rice ...

catseye said:
Hi!

I normally swear by Tai Chong Kok ... the one at (I think) Block 302 Ubi Avenue 2. Cheap and good. May need to weather the long queue though.

Enjoy.

used to like Tai Chong Kok, but last year, their mooncakes dun seem very special. :thumbsd:

soma said:
Was in Tampines and Century Square yestersday and the shopping mall is full of carts selling mooncakes, you can try and decided worth or not.
Someone send me a box of breadtalk moon cake and have try two type and find it nice but not sure what the price.

Did you try the one with yolk and floss? The sight of it turned me off immediately. Looks like hairy yolk, heh.

zaxh81 said:

i have brought them in before...as long as there is no egg yolks..i just cut them in quarters...normally they just close one eye...lotus, green tea, tao sa,...i got friends who even brought dao sa piang in..unless you are unlucky and they really pick on you.....

If too expensive, why not make them yourself? I have done making those soft ones with some friends, quite fun! Wash your hands first! :)

HS

LordAeRo said:
Did you try the one with yolk and floss? The sight of it turned me off immediately. Looks like hairy yolk, heh.
That is funny comment!:bsmilie: Is it really so bad?? You make feel like giving it a try :)

CYRN said:
used to like Tai Chong Kok, but last year, their mooncakes dun seem very special. :thumbsd:
I thought their moon cakes is the same every year, you mean they have different flavour every year? :think:

LordAeRo said:

Out of the four receive non of them are with hairy yolk.:lovegrin:

Floss with yolk should go well too. Will give it a try anytime.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.