Moon with FZ7

Status
Not open for further replies.

armadillo

Jan 30, 2006
Pinnacle@Duxton
Taken using FZ7, taken handheld. no additional lens.
F4.5, 1/200 secs. 100% cropped.
Critique are welcome :)
moon07.jpg

Did you use digital zoom?
Try F8.0, spot metering, spot focus, aperture priority.
:)
Use a tripod too.

jacquesvile & genegoh,
Thanks for viewing :)

Actually I use 16.5x extra optical zoom + a little bit of digital zoom.
Also use spot metering + spot focus.
I use manual mode. So far haven't really try to use tripod.
Maybe will try again next month :D

The extra optical zoom is just an illusion because the actual focal length used is still the maximum 72mm on FZ7 and this effect is achieved by using a smaller part of the sensor as the picture frame, causing the moon to appear bigger on the frame and thus giving an appearance as if it's shoot with a longer focal length on a 35mm format. It's the same as shooting with no extra optical zoom and then cropping the picture into a smaller frame.

I notice that 2x digital zoom was used. Using digital zoom is the same as cropping and then enlarging the size, thus not only having no gain in details but also causing a loss in sharpness.

Using a small aperture (such as F/8 or smaller) with a longer exposure would usually give a better exposure to dimmer areas when the tonal range is high. So for a full moon, you may want to try using about F/8 at 1/80, ISO 80 (vs your current F/4.5 at 1/200, ISO 80), depending on how clear the sky is.

A half-crest moon is also very interesting to shoot at because a lot of craters' details can be seen at the areas in which it transverses from bright to dark.

Clockunder, thanks for the tips :thumbsup:
Yeah, I'm still new with my FZ7, but it's kind of interesting taking picture of moon ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.