Moon Shots with taken with 70 - 200mm f2.8L + 1.4x converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

F2point8

Sep 25, 2007
Upp Bt Timah
Tried to shoot the moon with my newly acquired 70-200mm f2.8L and canon 1.4x II teleconverter last night. Need more improvement I am sure. C&C appreciated.

2760676169_110415c6c5.jpg

2761520128_b41e943ee3.jpg

Both taken with ISO400, f8, 1/200 on tripod.
Photo sharpened with Unsharp Mask using photoshop. One of them rendered Sepia effect to give a warm glow.

Thanks for viewing.
Raymond

Last edited:
As long as you can see the moon from ground floor, it doesn't matter if the moon was taken from a high storey or from the ground.

Nice pics, the only nit is it looks abit overexposed and overcontrasty to me.

Ryan

Thank you guys for the kind comment.
I took this on the ground. So "giantcopy" was right, one doesn't have to go so high to shoot the moon.
Thanks for pointing out the contrasty part, I believe I could use f16, 1/100 instead. Most moon shooter vouched that combination. Must give it a try.

Cheers!

thats strange, my 18-200mm didn't give such a seemingly close shot. is it all about the sharpening then?

oic.. though from ground floor is to high up? 400+ able to reach to the moon? :think: Must try it myself..

Hi,
My total zoom is only 200 x 1.4 = 280mm. If you use the 400mm, it will be even better i think. Try it and show us your picture.

:)

thats strange, my 18-200mm didn't give such a seemingly close shot. is it all about the sharpening then?

I have 280mm because of the 1.4x teleconverter. I must admit I did some cropping at 100% and sharpening to bring out the craters that's all.

lunar.jpg

Uncropped.

It was about 1800mm to get an almost frame filling shot that night

It seemed from my previous shots, shooting at f11 or f16 is about the same erh .. Cannot squeeze any more significant details. In case u wonder about the color, it was due to the white balance :bsmilie: should be grey

Ryan

lunar.jpg

Uncropped.

It seemed from my previous shots, shooting at f11 or f16 is about the same erh .. Cannot squeeze any more significant details. In case u wonder about the color, it was due to the white balance :bsmilie: should be grey

Ryan

wowwwww!!!fantastic!:D

...i thought you should have placed it in Night Photography?

Uncropped.

Ryan

That is very impressive indeed.. the difference is the 1500mm you get compared to mine.
Good shot... care to share your set up? camera, lens, etc?

That is very impressive indeed.. the difference is the 1500mm you get compared to mine.
Good shot... care to share your set up? camera, lens, etc?

D80. 600mm + TC2x. ISO 400. f16 1/80 sec, cable release.

And from ground :bsmilie: Doubt I can gain much more size from shooting at those high floor HDB flats

Ryan

D80. 600mm + TC2x. ISO 400. f16 1/80 sec, cable release.

And from ground :bsmilie: Doubt I can gain much more size from shooting at those high floor HDB flats

Ryan

Thanks.:thumbsup:
So the 1600mm is with crop factor taken into account.. yours is Nikon and 1.6x crop factor?
Cable release is definitely the way to go... I have not got mine yet, so waiting to get one quite soon.

When are you shooting again? Can come over to take a look if not too far from my place..
Cheers.
PS: sorry to have spelt your nick wrongly in post #5 earlier.

Thanks.:thumbsup:
So the 1600mm is with crop factor taken into account.. yours is Nikon and 1.6x crop factor?
Cable release is definitely the way to go... I have not got mine yet, so waiting to get one quite soon.

When are you shooting again? Can come over to take a look if not too far from my place..
Cheers.
PS: sorry to have spelt your nick wrongly in post #5 earlier.

Nikon has a 1.5x crop factor for the D80 and the other dx sensor bodies;)
so its abt 600mm x 2 (tc) x 1.5(crop factor) = 1800mm if u like to calculate..
can fight with SAF snipers already eh.... haha!

Last edited:
Nikon has a 1.5x crop factor for the D80 and the other dx sensor bodies;)
so its abt 600mm x 2 (tc) x 1.5(crop factor) = 1800mm if u like to calculate..
can fight with SAF snipers already eh.... haha!

Oh I see, as a Canon user, never know that nikon has 1.5x crop factor... good to know.
Thanks.

lunar.jpg

Uncropped.

Ryan

WOW..!!!:bigeyes:
Can see all the lobang on the Moon...!!!

Very nice pix..!!!!:thumbsup:

I have 280mm because of the 1.4x teleconverter. I must admit I did some cropping at 100% and sharpening to bring out the craters that's all.

Er, aren't you on a 30D? Don't you have a 1.6x crop to add to that too?

Status
Not open for further replies.