Moon shots gone wrong

Prince Photogenic

Dec 11, 2010
I taken some shots of the moon with a Minolta 70-210mm f/4 ("beercan") lens. But for some reason, it doesn't seem right. I've posted the photos with the EXIF, can someone tell me what's wrong? :dunno:

DSC01851.JPG

Focal length: 210mm
F-Stop: F4
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
ISO: 800
Exposure: 0 steps

DSC01854.JPG

Focal length: 105mm
F-Stop: F32
Shutter speed: 30 sec
ISO: 100
Exposure: +1.3 steps

DSC01855.JPG

F-Stop: F25
Shutter speed: 30 sec
Exposure: +1.3 steps

5624026347_8804721924_b.jpg

Here's mine... (tonight's moon - too good to miss)
Focal length: 400mm
F11
ISO:200 (it's the camera's base)
Exposure: -0.3EV
Aperture Priority

Great shot :)

Thanks! :) Tonight's moon a bit glowy.... need to underexpose a little to bring out the details...

To TS... don't use the smallest aperture (best is f/8- f/11 as cowseye mentioned) and under instead of over expose a little... go try again... the night is still young!

Thanks! :) Tonight's moon a bit glowy.... need to underexpose a little to bring out the details...

To TS... don't use the smallest aperture (best is f/8- f/11 as cowseye mentioned) and under instead of over expose a little... go try again... the night is still young!

your moon is showing up all over the place :bsmilie: stop mooning us! haha

@TS: you can actually shoot the moon in P Mode. just set your ISO to 400, spot metering and you're all set.

Try this, spot meter on the moon, M mode, F/8 to F/11, 1/320 to 1/250 sec shutter, iso 200.

Sorry ah, I'm a manual mode shooter most of the time. I'm not very sure what weird shutter speed will A mode give me in the last second before shoot (I know can AE-L but I prefer full control :p). Hence I advise to use M mode to ensure you are on the right speed, if you feel uncomfortable, go ahead follow kreigsketten's setting.

And also, crop out the moon, even though 210mm might be a bit short for the moon, the sharpness should be there when you zoom in to see. Don't crop too much though or you will really get a digital moon :D

@TS: you can actually shoot the moon in P Mode. just set your ISO to 400, spot metering and you're all set.

Woahz... Thanks bro, I didn't know I inherited the moon... Who's the kind soul? Big Thanks okay?! I need to go plant a flag there... :bsmilie:

Chang Er gave it to you when you howled at her :bsmilie:

Die... a lot of bros howled at the moon tonight... it must be overpopulated by now... :sweat: (It is not enough that you strike toto, but the fact is you have to share it with many others! :bsmilie:)

Anyway... I wonder if TS has reshoot the moon... Should be still up there now.

i've done a reshoot. I hope it's better..

DSC01861%2B-%2Bf10.JPG

F-Stop: F10
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Exposure: -0.33 steps

Die... a lot of bros howled at the moon tonight... it must be overpopulated by now... :sweat: (It is not enough that you strike toto, but the fact is you have to share it with many others! :bsmilie:)

Anyway... I wonder if TS has reshoot the moon... Should be still up there now.

can't see the moon... however... noticed that it's a pretty misty night tonight in my area. drats

Definitely better than the first try, at least you see details now. Is that a 100% crop or 200%?

Thanks. With time and practice, hopefully i'll improve.

Actually i dunno.. how do i tell? i just used the box selection and cropped it.

Thanks. With time and practice, hopefully i'll improve.

Actually i dunno.. how do i tell? i just used the box selection and cropped it.

Keep on shooting, that's what we should do, and improve upon it each time.

It should be 100% on your image... I realised 210mm versus 400mm isn't too great of a difference on a full view.

First time shooting the moon myself, I never realised it moved so fast... Pause a minute or two, it moved pretty far away from the center of the VF. Wait a bit more, it completely moved out of frame - always need to constantly re-adjust the framing for following shoots... Anyway, hope it was interesting for you as it was for me as a first time moon shooter.