moon shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
a moon shot today taken by sigma 70-300mm lens. Taken by minolta d7d with RAW format setting, converted by Photoshop using 90 sharpness setting. Other than that no other sharpening.

seems better than my old D70 moon :) maybe tonight the sky is clearer

moon.jpg

fixed here is another moon shot taken by my old D70. also with sigma 70-300mm. taken in raw and converted by PS

moond70.jpg

indeed tonight the moon is very clear,just now saw it.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

I shot this in jpeg with my 10D.. no PS done only cropping.. Is there any technique in shootin the moon. Took me a few test shots before can shoot something decent.. my moon seems funny too..

err.. I think you should wait until the moon is high in the sky I guess, so there is less atmosphere to travel through. A clear night helps, not just without clouds, some nights are much clearer than others. look for the stars to see how clear the night sky is.

Other than that, for me is just get a 300mm lens, ISO 200, f8, 1/640. Although I used the same model of lens in those two shots, the quality is quite different. could be the night, could be the lens, could be the camera.

2nd moon has some motion blur in it.. handshake?

Hi HEWOLF,

How did you managed to get those craters to be so shape and clear?
Can share the settings used?
Tripod, ISO, Aperture, Speed and focal lenght?

mirror lockup is important for moon shots.

mirror lockup is important for moon shots.

But accodording to some astronomy photographer,
digital SLR already don't have the "mirror locking" problem ?

by the way, how can we lock the mirror others than the "CCD" cleaning?

There should be a function in ur camera allowing u to do the mirror lockup. The mirror will flip a second or more before the shutter snap.

Dun understand why u said "digital SLR already don't have the "mirror locking" problem ?".....

Anyway, since shooting at 1/640s (wind30's setting - ISO 200, f8, 1/640). Do we still need the mirror lockup? Handhold will suffice?

Blue Sky said:
Hi HEWOLF,

How did you managed to get those craters to be so shape and clear?
Can share the settings used?
Tripod, ISO, Aperture, Speed and focal lenght?

Aperture Pri mode
F 1/16
1/80sec
300mm (450mm)
ISO 400
Tripod mounted
+
PS to crop and sharpen

Thanks to another CSer who's posted the review of this lens (please do a search). From which I know where the sweet spot is at 300mm (ie F16).

Thanks HeWolf :D .....

Will try again during the next "FULL MOON" , hehehe....

Full moon is not the best moon to shoot because most of the details will be lost. The half moons are better IMHO:

34571262.jpg

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion...
Visited your gallery and saw those half moon shots, they are just great.
I will continue to explore and learn from here ;p

Regards

Hi. thought I'd try my luck too... comments appreciated. :sweat:

df1dde1a.jpg

nickmak said:
Full moon is not the best moon to shoot because most of the details will be lost. The half moons are better IMHO:

Hey you got the point!! :thumbsup:

When full moon, the light is more or less from same direction of our view.

Whereas when 'reveal 1/2 ball', the sun light is from the side, hence more shadow, etc to show the pimples.

nickmak said:

aac.jpg

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.