Moon shot advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooks85

Jan 17, 2002
www.pbase.com
Hi, can anyone advice me on how to take sharp moon shot ? with foreground preferably....thanks
grass%20at%20watson%20bay1.jpg

hi mooks,
hope you dont mind me moving your thread here as you were looking for advice and not a critique per se.

darren.

for a sharp and properly exposed moon, it would be best to do spot metering centred on the moon. however, this will likely result in the surrounding being dark though.... so you might want to use flash to light up the surrounding. just my humble opinion....

Hi darren,
Not a problem... its my mistake for placing it in the wrong place...

mpenza
thanks for the advice... did tried to use spot... but didnt turn out well too.. not much of different... and the foreground is out of focus... any advice?
cheers

Originally posted by mpenza
it's kind of hard to get a moon and ground in focus since they're so very far apart :p Try to use a small aperture to increase the depth of view.

actually for moon shots, I usually use infinity focus too.

I use spot metering and infinity focus for this pic:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=502453

thanks for the advice... just tried the moonshot again...
just curious, what is the optical zoom for ur dc?
mine is only 3x, and i used a 1.5x tele lens...but when i tried to use digital zoom.. the lowest digital zoom is 4.3x... hence the picture turned out pretty bad... not sharp at all!!

mine is 8x optical. I coupled it with a 1.9x teleconverter (Olympus C-210) and 2x digital zoom.... total about 1200mm equivalent.

Originally posted by mpenza
mine is 8x optical. I coupled it with a 1.9x teleconverter (Olympus C-210) and 2x digital zoom.... total about 1200mm equivalent.
sighhhhhh... mine so pathetic!!!... think i have to buy telescope liao... :(
but i at least i learned that shutter spped doesnt have to be that slow... heeeeee....
thanks guys....
I NEED ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mooks85

but i at least i learned that shutter spped doesnt have to be that slow... heeeeee....
thanks guys....

buy telescope just to shoot moon ? :)

:p I was considering to buy a telescope too! but after rationalising, finally decided that I shouldn't spend so much just for moon shots :p

a trip to moon is very expensive mah...kekeke....

but seriously...Man or Woman are often not rational...look at the things around u..
how many of those u buy..u just use once and never used again!...

btw if one is a serious hobbist enough...well he should go all out within his budget to fulfill his love ...

my 2 cents.

for me I think I will be rational for once...I will not buy teleconverters just to shoot Moon....if I buy , I will shoot many many things

eeer...
wasnt serious in buying a telescope... just to show how much i need zoom.. thats all... :p but it may not be an bad idea hor.. haha

Originally posted by mooks85

thanks guys....

Sometimes when u think of buying something, ur sub-conscious "locks on". Even when u know u would use it for only once or twice, u would still buy it.... Well, for me at least...... :(

IMHO, u should get the telescope only if u wanna venture into star-gazing n stuff. Would be a waste to get it just for taking the Moon....

Hi mooks85,

I have seen someone post a shot similar to yours - the moon with foreground objects.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=2104621

Depending on the time the moon rises above the horizon, you might be able to shot when the sky is not totally dark, and still have the same composition. In that case, the moon will not be so much brighter than the sky, thus you should be able to get better exposure.

Tele-converter may help to get a bigger picture of the moon, but will not solve the dynamic range problem.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Originally posted by roygoh
Hi mooks85,

I have seen someone post a shot similar to yours - the moon with foreground objects.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=2104621

Depending on the time the moon rises above the horizon, you might be able to shot when the sky is not totally dark, and still have the same composition. In that case, the moon will not be so much brighter than the sky, thus you should be able to get better exposure.

Tele-converter may help to get a bigger picture of the moon, but will not solve the dynamic range problem.

Hope this helps.

Roy
Thanks Roy, but i think i had given up hope in taking moon shot... for the time being.. hehe

Hi all,

sorry to butt in but I have a question after reading your posts.

Are you shooting the moon with just a camera? No telescope? I have an Olympus C-5050 and have always wanted moon and star pics, but never even tried. I just assumed they were too far away for the 3X zoom. I think I am orering a Digital Optics 2.5X zoom lens for the cam, then maybe try it out.

I always thought that for good shots you had to have a telescope.

And, a friend is purchasing a C-750. Can that get good moon shots with its 10X optical?

thank you all,

if you wish please feel free to email responses to bethdave@kda.attmil.ne.jp

thanks

Dave

wah
ur moon so power....
mine only like that

moon1 - green channel.jpg

Can't see your photo... so don't really know what you are trying to take... If you want both foreground in focus, it's possible if the 'foreground' is far enough away from you so as that the foreground and the moon are both in focus when your focus is set at infinity.... For examples, trees with moon in the sky.... Or else try to take 2 shots... One focused on the moon and the other at the foreground subject and then do the magic with any photo editing programs... you may want to ensure both shots' exposure are the same... they can differ depending on the effect you want.... e.g. longer exposure in for the foreground pic if foreground subjects are much darker....

Oh yah... and watch out for clouds... they can affect sharpness....

Status
Not open for further replies.