Moon Rise and Sunset in Singapore

PhotoProZero

Jan 25, 2007
NorthEast
I know this is alittle random. But am curious if there is a location in Singapore that can see sunset and moonrise at the same time??? :think:

I know this is alittle random. But am curious if there is a location in Singapore that can see sunset and moonrise at the same time??? :think:

Is this a trip question?

As in Trip and fall... I think he meant "trick question"...

Oh!! No no, its not a trick qtn! Am serious lah. Long time ago, when I "pak tor" my ex brght me to one kampong in M'sia, where there was moonrise and sunset at the same time. To me, it was a rare phenomenon...so just wondering here have anot.

sure not trip question?

NO! Its neither a trick or TRIP question....;p

Oh!! No no, its not a trick qtn! Am serious lah. Long time ago, when I "pak tor" my ex brght me to one kampong in M'sia, where there was moonrise and sunset at the same time. To me, it was a rare phenomenon...so just wondering here have anot.

If anything, this would happen on that one day in most places around the world. What you need to do is get some good astronomic software so you can project when this happens and plan accordingly.

It is not exactly a rare phenomenon IIRC as the fully illuminated moon will always rise between the period of astronomical sunset and the evening twilight every once a lunar month or so. ;)

Last edited:
Possible.

You have to understand the lunar cycle though to plan accordingly.

Look for a Waxing gibbous moon which will rise in the late afternoon. The other choice is the full moon which will fully visible from sunset to sunrise. :)

Read more about it here :

Lunar Phase

I forgot to mention also the other fact. Both rises in the east and sets in the west. So if you want to see both of them in the same area (i.e. in the west) you'd have to be looking for a setting moon together with a setting sun. The First quarter moon which has a mid phase at 6pm may also be a choice to try. The Waxing crescent moon has a mid phase of about 3pm which would make it a better choice since it would theoratically allow it to set nearer to the sunset time.

Last edited:
Good to know about the lunar cycle.

But even if you do capture both in one window... it's going to be a tricky composition... focus on the moon or the sunset/sunrise? :) My two cents...

Otherwise, just heck care and shoot - since it's already a rare occurance anyway...lolz

Last edited:
It is not exactly a rare phenomenon IIRC as the fully illuminated moon will always rise between the period of astronomical sunset and the evening twilight every once a lunar month or so. ;)

Possible.

You have to understand the lunar cycle though to plan accordingly.

Look for a Waxing gibbous moon which will rise in the late afternoon. The other choice is the full moon which will fully visible from sunset to sunrise. :)

Read more about it here :

Lunar Phase

I forgot to mention also the other fact. Both rises in the east and sets in the west. So if you want to see both of them in the same area (i.e. in the west) you'd have to be looking for a setting moon together with a setting sun. The First quarter moon which has a mid phase at 6pm may also be a choice to try. The Waxing crescent moon has a mid phase of about 3pm which would make it a better choice since it would theoratically allow it to set nearer to the sunset time.

This is very true. Now that zac08 has triggered my memory, it was indeed in the West when it happened.

lol

I think you can try installing Google Earth. IIRC, there is a sunrise and moonrise application that will tell you specifically where its at. Hope that helps.

NO! Its neither a trick or TRIP question....;p

Its just that you started this thread in Kopitiam Informal, irreverent coffeeshop chat
err... hope I didn't cause too much trouble for you and you got your proper answer. :)

I think you can try installing Google Earth. IIRC, there is a sunrise and moonrise application that will tell you specifically where its at. Hope that helps.

Thanks hazmee! :)

Try installing Stellarium. It's a night sky simulation software. Can be used to simulate the sky view at any time, and location.

Moonset / rise can look like sunset / rise, except the sky is night.

http://redstonean.deviantart.com/art/Moonset-181953446
^Photo I took few years ago

Hi redstone, a very interesting photo! Lucky you! Managed to capture that. :)