MOON - How to TAKE ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiduc2004

Jul 20, 2007
I tried but if i took the photo that can see the moon clearly then cant see the cloud around, if can see the cloud cannot see the moon clearly because too bright ! Any suggest ?? THX

use a GND filter^^

I tried but if i took the photo that can see the moon clearly then cant see the cloud around, if can see the cloud cannot see the moon clearly because too bright ! Any suggest ?? THX

Try ISO 400, f/16 and expose at 1/250. U need at least a 300mm lens.

u'll either need to do a 'hdr' kind of shot or use a special filter. it's like a ND filter but it just has a small circular spot where it lets less light in (instead of a GND which is about half of the filter)

tried taking with my 200mm with 1.4 extender at f11... shutter was rather slow... but effect turned out ok

Wait for the time of the year when you can see the moon just after sunset or just before sunrise during twilight, the sky would then be illuminated and you will be able to get a balanced exposure of the moon and the sky.

The moon is a very bright object (relatively speaking) and the general rule-of-thumb is to shoot at 1/ISO at F/10 or F/11.

So, for example, set your cam to manual mode and ISO at 100, then set your shutter to 1/100 and aperture at F/10. Adjust the F-stop to suit your exposure taste.

It's best to wait for a less cloudy day and try taking a shot around twilight (about 1920~1945).

the moon is lit by the sun, so you should be exposing as if it was daytime to get the a correct exposure of the moon.
then take another picture of the clouds and di in the moon.

small aperture, slow shutter should help.... :)

Hmm.. if finding a single suitable setting doesn't work out nicely, you can just take 2 shots (almost) consecutively, with one exposure for the moon, and another for the clouds, since you can get each one separately already. Then you can just overlay them and mask out the appropriate parts. ^^

Taking the eclipse this evening right? xD I'm trying my luck too hehe.

the moon is lit by the sun, so you should be exposing as if it was daytime to get the a correct exposure of the moon.
then take another picture of the clouds and di in the moon.
Something like this? ;p
bigmoon.jpg

Moon01.jpg

ISO 100, F5.6, shutter 1/40, EV 0
As can see..... the moon is overexpose.

Moon2.jpg

ISO 100, F5.6, shutter 1/125, EV -1
Better, but still overly bright.....

Moon3.jpg

ISO 100, F5.6, shutter 1/400, EV -1
This is the best one I had....

All Pics where taken last night after Work.... like at midnight, on top of a Muti-floor Carpark. Also my 1st try at taking photo of the moon. But.....! I think a few fellow from a near by block think I was a peeping tom..... he/she quickly shut the Window. Hehehe :D

Wow.... real or not ?? ;p

With the moon so near, the High tide will flood must city ;)

Of course fake lah... DI one mah.. The sun setting in the same direction, won't illuminate so much of the moon. Moon is shot with D2X through Nexstar 5 telescope. The landscape is shot with Nokia N70 mobile phone. Gaussian noise is deliberately added on the moon image to match the noise on the N70. ;p

Of course fake lah... DI one mah.. The sun setting in the same direction, won't illuminate so much of the moon. Moon is shot with D2X through Nexstar 5 telescope. The landscape is shot with Nokia N70 mobile phone. Gaussian noise is deliberately added on the moon image to match the noise on the N70. ;p

Hahaha....;)

Hmm.. if finding a single suitable setting doesn't work out nicely, you can just take 2 shots (almost) consecutively, with one exposure for the moon, and another for the clouds, since you can get each one separately already. Then you can just overlay them and mask out the appropriate parts. ^^

Taking the eclipse this evening right? xD I'm trying my luck too hehe.

Is there an eclipse today? Didn't know. Can you tell me where to get more information on that? Time? etc. Thanks!

Is there an eclipse today? Didn't know. Can you tell me where to get more information on that? Time? etc. Thanks!

We won't be able to see the eclipse lah.... it will happen around 5pm+ in S'pore.... hahaha, the moon is not even up yet. ;) Just plain full moon for S'porean. :D

We won't be able to see the eclipse lah.... it will happen around 5pm+ in S'pore.... hahaha, the moon is not even up yet. ;) Just plain full moon for S'porean. :D

i heard from the radio that the best place to see the "Blood Moon Eclipse" is either at changi beach or East Coast Park

no gurantee that you will be able to see it. and yes 5 something in the evening

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news07/228-BloodMoonEclipse.shtml

Been doing some reading on the eclipse today.
The peak of the eclipse is at 5+ pm but due to our location, moonrise today will only be at ard 7pm. The eclipse hasn't ended yet but, we probably wun be able to see so much of the red moon anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.