Moon at Perigee this weekend

Hmm. May 5…will look out for it..but somehow big also not as big as overseas…still small compared to them..

Nice. Might just camp for the whole night :)

Hulk like. Hulk shoot.

Some website say 5th May, some said 6th May. Perhaps depending on timezone? So for Singapore to see is which day and time?

Some website say 5th May, some said 6th May. Perhaps depending on timezone? So for Singapore to see is which day and time?

You'll know it when you hear this: :bsmilie:

[video=youtube;ZG1eqd8T5-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG1eqd8T5-I&feature=related[/video]

Thanks for the heads up dude !

this section ha ha is for man-made events

moving it to Kopitiam

hopefully some of you dudes will make an outing of this event :)

can some kind soul explain the 11:25 thingy even tho' the rise and set times are in the evenings ?

5 May 2012 -
rise 18:19 set 5:46
- -
106°East-southeast 257°West-southwest

6 May 2012 -
rise 19:21 set 06:45
- -
109°East-southeast 252°West-southwest

Last edited:
oh read the sites again and just realized that this is supposed to be " this month's full moon coincides with the moon's perigee — its closest approach to Earth — it will also be the year's BIGGEST "

so yes the moon will not suddenly disappear or become a crescent after that time but its FULLEST at 11:30am ... logic dictates that it shouldnt be too far from a full moon 12hrs later in the evening

18:19 ....... I am just praying for a glorious dusky sunset to catch this

can some kind soul explain the 11:25 thingy even tho' the rise and set times are in the evenings ?

5 May 2012 -
rise 18:19 set 5:46
- -
106°East-southeast 257°West-southwest

6 May 2012 -
rise 19:21 set 06:45
- -
109°East-southeast 252°West-southwest
The moon is exactly at its perigee as viewed from the other side of the Earth when it's night time.

Also it really takes just minutes for the moon to be 100% illuminated and ~99.++% illuminated as it orbit around the earth at 3682.8 km/hr if one really wishes to be informed of the exact timing of the full moon down to the precise second.

Last edited:
not sure is it due to the coming Super Moon but yesterday evening the sunset near Jurong is very dramatic. Pity didn't hv camera with me.

anyone saw?