Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber_Duck

May 26, 2004
nippon
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

Took this shot few week back.
Was a moody day due to the weather and a hazy sunset. ....
After taking this pix... make me more moody...

Pls C&C...

img0055ehw6.jpg

horizon is not straight

Foreground is messy. What are those three floating blocks in the water? Two are being shown, one is half cut off.

Horizon is not straight, and I feel that the lack of contrast due to the haze is a distraction, more than bringing across a moody feel.

Q... is it a must to take the straight horizon?
Though of shot a angle... may be still need to further improve....

Thanks...Will try that again...

It is a good rule to abide by. Know the rules well, before you can break them.

Foreground is messy. What are those three floating blocks in the water? Two are being shown, one is half cut off.

Horizon is not straight, and I feel that the lack of contrast due to the haze is a distraction, more than bringing across a moody feel.

Got it....Thanks...

May I know how to improve the contrast due to the haze weather...
Oh just edit using software?

Got it....Thanks...

May I know how to improve the contrast due to the haze weather...
Oh just edit using software?

You can try using a CPL or bump contrast with software.

For landscape, normally it is prefered for the horizon to be level.
Else the photo will look "unnatural" and viewer will not feel comfortable looking at it.
Not to say keeping viewer's eyes.

The sky seems emtpy, thus you may want to apply "Rule of Thirds" with the water level lying at the bottom 3rd.
I will want to remove the floating blocks as they dont tell anything and is pretty distracting.

Just to share a tip. When taking sunset or sunrise, it may not be necessary to include the sun in the picture. In this case, by excluding the sun, you can also capture the silhouette with nice warm colored background. This could also make the picture more interesting. ;)

Cheers!

img0055ehw6.jpg

well my interpretation...

a moody pic would have more black to the picture. and an overall darker setting, ignore the colors, you might wanna even try making it bluish or something...

another thing about it is that if your approach angle on the shot will make the horizon seem tilted even thou its straight, chop it away... like this pic is from yours, i've just removed the bottom of the pic as i deem redundant. and the top is redundant as well, so i've effectively created a panorama landscape shot.

overall, i'll also prefer the sun to set alittle bit lower...

*my colors look abit like sunrise thou... u can try your own color profiles.

img0055ehw6.jpg

well my interpretation...

a moody pic would have more black to the picture. and an overall darker setting, ignore the colors, you might wanna even try making it bluish or something...

another thing about it is that if your approach angle on the shot will make the horizon seem tilted even thou its straight, chop it away... like this pic is from yours, i've just removed the bottom of the pic as i deem redundant. and the top is redundant as well, so i've effectively created a panorama landscape shot.

overall, i'll also prefer the sun to set alittle bit lower...

*my colors look abit like sunrise thou... u can try your own color profiles.

Oh... Thanks for the advice...
I have re-edited the pix... Pls take a look at this and C&C....

Once again... Thanks..!

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice...
I have re-edit and touch up the pix according to your advice.
Pls C&C...

img0055e123jk5.jpg

feel is there but not 'dark' enuff...

Trying to get the feeling right...
But seem like is kinda hard to express..

Example for a moody day should be dark or gray and the color should be down and low...
trying to figure it out....

Thanks for your advice....
Will try again..

Trying to get the feeling right...
But seem like is kinda hard to express..

Example for a moody day should be dark or gray and the color should be down and low...
trying to figure it out....

Thanks for your advice....
Will try again..

practise makes perfect.

as long as you got the concept right, just go out and try a shot again. and try to do it with the the setting in the camera.

for this kinda shots, a tripod, low iso, -ev, will probably bring up the darker feel.

a nd grad or cpl will work wonder here as well, my preference is a nd grad.

For landscape, normally it is prefered for the horizon to be level.
Else the photo will look "unnatural" and viewer will not feel comfortable looking at it.
Not to say keeping viewer's eyes.

The sky seems emtpy, thus you may want to apply "Rule of Thirds" with the water level lying at the bottom 3rd.
I will want to remove the floating blocks as they dont tell anything and is pretty distracting.

Just to share a tip. When taking sunset or sunrise, it may not be necessary to include the sun in the picture. In this case, by excluding the sun, you can also capture the silhouette with nice warm colored background. This could also make the picture more interesting. ;)

Cheers!

Thanks..!!! Shall take note of that...
Really appreciated you advice.....:)

practise makes perfect.

as long as you got the concept right, just go out and try a shot again. and try to do it with the the setting in the camera.

for this kinda shots, a tripod, low iso, -ev, will probably bring up the darker feel.

a nd grad or cpl will work wonder here as well, my preference is a nd grad.

Sure...!! will take note of all this pointers...;)
tripod still looking for one now....:sweatsm:
But I have a mono pod now.. I think temp just use that first.... :sweat:

Sorry... Still a newbie...
Don't understand what is nd grad and CPL....???

i must say that i quite like DCA's edit here, it works for me, tones and all.

why do landscape shots need straight horizon? because frankly a non-straight horizon looks weird, and there ARE situations where non-straight horizon can work, but usually they have to be really overdone. a little bit not-straight simply gives the impression that either it is an oversight on your part, or that you are too lazy to correct it. a lot not-straight (when it works, and it seldom does, not easy to do and work) leaves no doubt that you have intended the effect of a dynamic tilt.

here it isn't tilted per se, this is horizontal perspective problem because river banks do not run parallel. the buildings are upright, but the horizon is not straight because the bank is coming towards you here. :)

i must say that i quite like DCA's edit here, it works for me, tones and all.

why do landscape shots need straight horizon? because frankly a non-straight horizon looks weird, and there ARE situations where non-straight horizon can work, but usually they have to be really overdone. a little bit not-straight simply gives the impression that either it is an oversight on your part, or that you are too lazy to correct it. a lot not-straight (when it works, and it seldom does, not easy to do and work) leaves no doubt that you have intended the effect of a dynamic tilt.

here it isn't tilted per se, this is horizontal perspective problem because river banks do not run parallel. the buildings are upright, but the horizon is not straight because the bank is coming towards you here. :)

WOW... Noted...!
Thanks for your value advice...!!
Really appreciated..!!
:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.