Moody Singapore (fixed...photo wasn't showing b4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Goh

Sep 5, 2006
Shot with Nikon D70, Tamron 17-50mm, F2.8, in RAW.
Post processed in Adobe, with shadows and saturation.

I think the color temperature and the sky, and the exposure creates a moody feel for Singapore's skyscrapes. The angle is a nice touch too I think. The only thing I can think of changing is the exposure... a little darker may create a different feel, but would lose details on the skyscrapes. Huddaya think? :dunno:

1346050597_547d6ce0e4_o.jpg

Go to this link to open the photo that is on my website... for some reason it does not show here.The uploaded one onto clubsnap is too small to view :kok:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1165/1346050597_547d6ce0e4_o.jpg

Moody_Singapore1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

#1, the blogger link is dead.
#2, the pix are too small to view clearly.
#3, titled angle don't work for me.

btw, I guess you are shooting with handheld..

fix the dead link please...

One thing you had achieved is that because of the angle is tilted, it does spoil the mood of the photo, thus, it's indeed a 'moody' shot.

Sorry bro, this photo don't work for me.

Doesnt work. There is some barrel distortion, with the tilt, the buildings are falling!

Tilted horizon does not work for me. Under exposed and sky is dull.

too dark...use longer exposure with tripod next time... :)

Wow.... doesn't work huh, the tilted horizon. I like the out of normal paradigm photos, but I guess I'm pretty much alone out here :think: (anyone out there likes it :sweat: ??)

Why does it not work? Someone enlighten or convince me.

There's nothing to be convinced of. Its subjective and you are free to disagree. Tilting horizons are disconcerting(if not done the proper way) and its really a great distraction to people who see your photos. There are rules you can break but there are those you don't really want to. Its up to you.

My views
1) Too dark to see any details.
2) "Shot to death" shot.
3) And ya, the tilt don't work for me. Feels the strain in my neck when i look at it.

But all that i mentioned is subjective la. You can decide yourself. Main thing is, be happy during the shooting process and be happy with your output. Suggestion to you is, maybe you can take a look at shots of other people and also some photography images from magazines etc to get a feel and visualisation of what you wanna shot.

Somehow for me, most photos with tiltied horizons and water seldom work. Makes it feel like water is being drained out from the bottom corner.

More details in the buildings and clouds would be better.

nice attempt for the mood, given the theme of moodiness the colors are fine

on the same scene i would probably be more interested in a more dynamically colored image, but that is no longer moody.

i like the use of the esplanade bridge as a leading line in your picture, but i suppose.. you could.. un-tilt the picture a little :p

It would be best to render out the details if u ur intention was to get a moody shot (i.e. underexpose).

Wow.... doesn't work huh, the tilted horizon. I like the out of normal paradigm photos, but I guess I'm pretty much alone out here :think: (anyone out there likes it :sweat: ??)

Why does it not work? Someone enlighten or convince me.
Tilted photo may work well for portraits, but certainly not landscape, especially when there is water involved in the photo.

Your photo with a tilted water scene gives a very uncomfortable feel, it's like it's about to be drained off, and the buildings are going to fall. That's why it didn't work. Unlike portraits, where though background can be tilted but yet with the object or model as the main attention, the photo will not turn out to be giving the viewer the sense of 'falling down'.

Like Kit mentioned, some rules for photography can be broken but some just can't. Although photography is mainly an art and about creativities, but yet, there are certain parameters about photography that can't be broken in order to have a good photo. Taking photo of city skyline or landscape is just one such aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.