Moods of a Pretty Damsel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papilio

Jul 13, 2003
Central Singapore
www.butterflycircle.com
Damselfly, that is... ;) Same iridescent species shot earlier at Sime Forest, and cooperative enough to stay still for tripod mounted shots, and various experiments with lighting, off-camera flash, silhouettes and so on. There's a small colony of these very elegant insects there and seems to have been there the past week or so.

Nikkor 70-180mm @ 180mm tripod mounted.

ISO320 ; 1/15s ; f7.1 ; -0.3EV ; fill flash -1.0EV
cs-green-damselfly03.jpg

ISO320 ; 1/160s ; f11 ; 0EV ; Manual exposure mode, no flash
cs-green-damselfly05.jpg

ISO320 ; 1/180s ; f8 ; -0.7EV ; fill flash -2.3EV
cs-green-damselfly06.jpg

Papilio, on the way becoming dragonmaster already hur? :D
#1 and #3 have very nice details on their wing. ppl normally shot them without the reflection of the lights on the wing. :thumbsup:
and i like #2 best. the mood is there. somehow mysterious too. :thumbsup:

Nice capture. I like the composition and idea of the 2nd shot.

The blues on the wings are reflection or color of the wings?

sonix said:
Yeah same question with falcon.

Good shot :thumbsup:

Falcon said:
Nice capture. I like the composition and idea of the 2nd shot.

The blues on the wings are reflection or color of the wings?

Thanks, guys. I noticed that if you view the wings at a certain angle to the light, the blue colours appear. It looks even more spectacular in real life than I can capture on the sensor. What I tried to reproduce with an off-camera flash was to angle the light source such that the light diffracted off the wings show that blue sheen.

If viewed straight on, the wings are transparent!

y0ngcheng said:
Papilio, on the way becoming dragonmaster already hur? :D
#1 and #3 have very nice details on their wing. ppl normally shot them without the reflection of the lights on the wing. :thumbsup:
and i like #2 best. the mood is there. somehow mysterious too. :thumbsup:

No lah... dragons/damsels are just ECA only, when the butts are on holiday. ;p

See ya tomorrow. Perhaps you can capture more different moods of this critter. ;)

Papilio said:
No lah... dragons/damsels are just ECA only, when the butts are on holiday. ;p

See ya tomorrow. Perhaps you can capture more different moods of this critter. ;)

ECA sia... dragons/damsels my O level leh.. lol. :D

I really loved your second shot because of the silhoutte created draws my attention to the beautiful shape it created. The darkening of the top and bottom right corners(unintentionally I guessed :p) also help in making it a very stable composition. Thumbs up for you! :thumbsup:

CaeSiuM said:
I really loved your second shot because of the silhoutte created draws my attention to the beautiful shape it created. The darkening of the top and bottom right corners(unintentionally I guessed :p) also help in making it a very stable composition. Thumbs up for you! :thumbsup:

Thanks!
In nature photography, we all need a bit of luck, don't we? Seldom can determine when the critter will stop, and what type of background we get. :)

oeyvind said:
Any luck on the ID yet? :cool:

Nope... waiting for you leh... :sweat: One comes close, but the info says it's a montane species, so can't be our little green damsel, which is found in lowland forests. :think:

Papilio said:
Nope... waiting for you leh... :sweat: One comes close, but the info says it's a montane species, so can't be our little green damsel, which is found in lowland forests. :think:

ignore the description! I spotted Pseudothemis zonata (Burmeister, 1839) in Marina South Park before, copulating in flight! But guess what they are usually found? Found in Guandong, Guangxi, Hainan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Viet Nam, Japan.... not SEA.

Which one you think it's?

The ambience of the 2nd pics is juz fantastic :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.