Montage Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

NUSPS

May 11, 2006
NUS
www.nusps.org.sg
Dear All,

It is to our greatest regret to inform you that our workshop speaker, Mr. Cedric Lim, would not be able to attend the workshop in person on the 20th of May 2006 due to his work commitments.

The Montage Committee of The Photographic Society of NUS (NUSPS) has, however, decided to film Mr. Cedric Lim's workshop in advance, and air it during the session. The topic of the talk will not be changed. In fact, we forsee advantages of filming in Cedric's studio as it would add value in understanding the topic of commercial photography better.

As for the QnA session, arrangements would be made for participants to pose questions to Mr. Cedric Lim through video conferencing.

The Montage Committee wishes to extend our sincere apologies for this unforeseen turn of events. We seek your understanding and hope that you will carry on in supporting Montage 2006. Do feel free to PM us or email us at ticketing@montage.sg

Regards

Dear all,

Very regrettably, I cannot be attending the seminar as I've very heavy work commitments on that day, in particularly a project I've taken up since last year, only to know recently that the project that was on the shelf now is back on track again...

I thank you very much for the support shown so far on Clubsnap as well as the guys doing up the event proper. I do feel that the video documentary could be a better eye opener, as not only me, but the relevant positions, namely Hair/ Make up Artist, Stylist, the photography asst, stylist asst will all be giving an overview in the video that will be aired on the 20th May... Sort of a day in the life of all of us working hard to achieve a frame...

Pls do continue to show your support on making the photography world a better place to learn...

Regrets,

Cedric Lim

Dear All,

the breakdown for the entries to Montage 2006 - Behind the Seen Competition Segment are as follows.

Student Category:

817 to be judged

Open Category

579 to be judged

We would like to remind the public that the judging will be held at the Canon Digital Media Hub at Bugis on Saturday the 27th of May 2006. The Student category judging will commence at around 0930 and the Open category judging will commence at around 1430.

Cheers and Thanks for your support.

I'm very curious but did the judges know the theme before they started judging? I was there for a while this afternoon and I must say, I somehow doubt the judges are even aware of what the theme is.. No offense but although some photos that received high scores were of good artistic and possibly even commercial value, I don't see how they could be related to the theme in any way.. And some photos that may not be as commercial or artistic, received lower scores even though they seemed to be more relevant to the theme.. If that's the case, there might as well not be a theme and just allow pple to submit whatever they think are their best photos and base the theme around the best photo..

In any case, I guess like all other things, photography afterall is about commerical value.. If not, companies like Canon, Nikon.. won't be makinig big bucks :thumbsup:

NUSPS said:
Dear All,

the breakdown for the entries to Montage 2006 - Behind the Seen Competition Segment are as follows.

Student Category:

817 to be judged

Open Category

579 to be judged

We would like to remind the public that the judging will be held at the Canon Digital Media Hub at Bugis on Saturday the 27th of May 2006. The Student category judging will commence at around 0930 and the Open category judging will commence at around 1430.

Cheers and Thanks for your support.

jeryltan said:
I'm very curious but did the judges know the theme before they started judging? I was there for a while this afternoon and I must say, I somehow doubt the judges are even aware of what the theme is.. No offense but although some photos that received high scores were of good artistic and possibly even commercial value, I don't see how they could be related to the theme in any way.. And some photos that may not be as commercial or artistic, received lower scores even though they seemed to be more relevant to the theme.. If that's the case, there might as well not be a theme and just allow pple to submit whatever they think are their best photos and base the theme around the best photo..
PLS read the overview clearly http://www.montage.sg/.

Fully support what you mentioned, during the open cat. I heard one of the judge asked how many pictures are each person allow to submit. I was wondering does the judges know the theme? Why did the organiser give the judges to read a sheet of rules and regulations before the start of judging? Aren't this suppose to be settle earlier on, rather than on the spot to understand it.

Earlier on i saw them sitting downstair chit chat. Aren't the judges concern about the theme or what's happening later? The way they judge, not that good la, maybe they dun know understand the meaning of the THEME. Sorry if i insult their profession, i really don't mean to with due respect. The theme is 'Behind the seen', i saw 2 pictures sort of metal look (abstract to me) were given pretty high score. What does it relate to 'Behind the Seen'? Even pictures of ants or some simple plants were given some good points by them. What i see is nice picture give high points leh *FAINT*.

I heard ppl saying, wa lao like so normal also give high point, this year no standard one! Sadzzz to hear that. But the fact is just so true... :sticktong

I have read the overview, and the theme seems to say that the photos should be of "unseen wonders and untold stories which lay in our path." To me, this seems like a street shoot of things around us always but that we do not take note of.. But from what I see, many of the street shots received low scores, whereas the carefully "staged" ones received higher scores.. I don't see how staged shots could be "unseen wonders and untold stories which lay in our path." :dunno:

BTW, I was there same time as you.. I also heard them asking the same questions :) ie. how many photos were each allowed to submit.. I think the judges had no idea what they were judging and were clearly getting impatient..

As for the macro shooting part, they could be related to the theme in a way.. These are all flowers and leaves around us but we do not stop to see them.. And could fall under the "unseen wonders" category.. But I agree with you, I somehow also felt, the judges awarded more points based on the complexity to get the shot, ie. staged / macro vs street.. Which isn't what art is about right?

rickygck said:

Fully support what you mentioned, during the open cat. I heard one of the judge asked how many pictures are each person allow to submit. I was wondering does the judges know the theme? Why did the organiser give the judges to read a sheet of rules and regulations before the start of judging? Aren't this suppose to be settle earlier on, rather than on the spot to understand it.

Earlier on i saw them sitting downstair chit chat. Aren't the judges concern about the theme or what's happening later? The way they judge, not that good la, maybe they dun know understand the meaning of the THEME. Sorry if i insult their profession, i really don't mean to with due respect. The theme is 'Behind the seen', i saw 2 pictures sort of metal look (abstract to me) were given pretty high score. What does it relate to 'Behind the Seen'? Even pictures of ants or some simple plants were given some good points by them. What i see is nice picture give high points leh *FAINT*.

I heard ppl saying, wa lao like so normal also give high point, this year no standard one! Sadzzz to hear that. But the fact is just so true... :sticktong

Hmm. seems like the judging did not go as it thought out to be by most participants. I guess thats a short coming of judging art which photography falls into. There is no hard and fast rule.

But then again certain perimeters like theme should be carefully included as a factor of judging the pictures. Well it all depends on the judges.

In another inference, your picture which does not win in this competition might not necessary mean it will not win in another. But we all hobbyists got to be careful of the rules and regulations. cos some say cannot use shots which "participated in a contest before" vs "won in a competition" before.

The judges were informed of the theme before the judging started. And it was also told to them that "behind the seen" is left open to the judges interpretation, as it was for the participants.

Since the theme is subjective, the same images may not have won if a different set of judges were present.

Thanks for your feedback.

NUSPS said:
The judges were informed of the theme before the judging started. And it was also told to them that "behind the seen" is left open to the judges interpretation, as it was for the participants.

Since the theme is subjective, the same images may not have won if a different set of judges were present.

Thanks for your feedback.
Ok la, what over is over, i think the hardwork put up by the entire team is worth applause. Hope for a better chance next year if am around.

rickygck said:

The theme 'Behind the Seens', means behind what's seen... In the case of the ants, I would think it very unseen by people even walking in the park... Things or seens that people do not pay attention to, that was what I thought it was... A photographer brings forth the livelihood to the public... I don't see something wrong with the pictures, the esthetics of it was good and you can't rule out an image just for that.. The judges were looking out for something very interesting, but let's not forget it's the student's category, so do lower your expectation a lil, and try looking at the images in their view than in your own world... Why they shot it? Was there a thought process when shooting, what emotion the photographer was in when he/she was shooting it?

There was a picture ruled out by the organisers, and that one is something we thought we liked..

Anyway, so many different opinions from public eyes...We see what we see..

Cheers, and Kudos to the chaps from NUS..

Ced

I agree macro shots could be classified in this theme.. But those were not what I was referring to.. Anyway, will wait to see the winners before I comment furthur..

pointblankshots said:
The theme 'Behind the Seens', means behind what's seen... In the case of the ants, I would think it very unseen by people even walking in the park... Things or seens that people do not pay attention to, that was what I thought it was... A photographer brings forth the livelihood to the public... I don't see something wrong with the pictures, the esthetics of it was good and you can't rule out an image just for that.. The judges were looking out for something very interesting, but let's not forget it's the student's category, so do lower your expectation a lil, and try looking at the images in their view than in your own world... Why they shot it? Was there a thought process when shooting, what emotion the photographer was in when he/she was shooting it?

There was a picture ruled out by the organisers, and that one is something we thought we liked..

Anyway, so many different opinions from public eyes...We see what we see..

Cheers, and Kudos to the chaps from NUS..

Ced

Status
Not open for further replies.