MOnoPods...... Question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

garytanbw

Apr 4, 2004
Hi,
Newbie with monopOds.... Tried using Monopods and most of my shots are craps..... Tried the so call "karate stance" as recommended in the forum...

Without any other external props for additional support of the monopod, what is the maximum shutter speed settings which you guys able to get a "acceptable" sharp pictures?

I understand that monopods are mostly used for sports photography or perhaps events photograph... But my question is if shooting a still objects, what is the allowable shutter speed for an acceptable picture?

I understand that different ppl will have different answers and it varies with different ppl due to individual skills. But just like to have a feel of what is the longest shutter speed ever used with a monopod and able to get acceptable pictures...

I keep trying and my balancing sux.... front back stable but keep swaying left and right.... 1" shutter also blur big time.... Damn...

takes practice. you will get the hang of it.

speed can be 1/500 all the way to 1/4000 also depending on ISO and Aperture.

For Sports, usually what happens is people switch on their 6-8fps motor and chances are few out of all the shots will be acceptable.

A monopod doesnt replace a tripod.

1/500 shouldn't be using hand held? doesn't requires monopod... Should be fast enuf for most shots isn't it? I know it doesn't replace a tripods, but at some situatin where tripods are really a hassle and only monopod allowed to be used.... At such situaton and lighting is really a problem, what is the slowest shutter allowable when using a monopod? I just wanna have a feel if there are any real expert users of monopod that can get sharp acceptable pictures in long shutter speed...

takes practice. you will get the hang of it.

speed can be 1/500 all the way to 1/4000 also depending on ISO and Aperture.

For Sports, usually what happens is people switch on their 6-8fps motor and chances are few out of all the shots will be acceptable.

A monopod doesnt replace a tripod.

No need monopod even... I've tried 1/15 at 210mm focal length (supported with object under the lens)

With monopod, if I do my shots, I normally keep them to about 1/60 min for less chance of error.

I keep trying and my balancing sux.... front back stable but keep swaying left and right.... 1" shutter also blur big time.... Damn...[/QUOTE]

Erm bro, u dun use a monopod for 1 sec exposures... U gotta use tripod for that.
Slowest exposures maybe 1/5, 1/10, depending on FL... Just my 2 cents.

At 300mm, slowest I've gone was 1/15s and got 4/10 shots sharp, all handheld.

1/focal length

Simple as it is, u want slower shutter speed use tripod

In the first place do u know what is the function of monopod?? if u think monopod is to take long exposure photo then ur photos will always be crap :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Monopod is mainly for long waiting with heavy lens

it is possible to use a monopod for long shutter speeds for up to 1 sec.
u just need a lot of practice.
the karate stance is just an idea of how u should stand.
u should develop ur own method of using the monopod, the placement of the monopod in relation to urself (2 legs) and breathing technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.