Monopod

tarzanboy66

Jun 19, 2010
Hi, Guy I never use a monopod before but will consider one at the Comex show can user of monopod give the advantage and disadvantage of using it as I will travel next week to beijing for tour,it is useful advise is appreciated :)

Hi, Guy I never use a monopod before but will consider one at the Comex show can user of monopod give the advantage and disadvantage of using it as I will travel next week to beijing for tour,it is useful advise is appreciated :)

Do you know what a monopod does?

If you know..mind to share?

I heard a Hassleblad is a very good camera, maybe you should get one for your Beijing trip!

Out of all the sarcasms,

A monopod is for people who handles with heavy lenses and body or holds their camera for a long time as it effectively takes away the weight. I.E Sports photographers as they handle with big lenses and needs the camera to be at their faces during the whole game and holding a 5kg equipment for 90 mins or more is gonna make you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.( Not saying it's a bad thing)

So for your trip to Beijing, it will be pretty much useless. A tripod would be more useful if you're planning to do long exposure.

Do a research about an item to know if it fits you.

I haven't used monopod before. Compare to tripod, the biggest difference to me is,
monopod - take pictures for others, can't take own pictures
tripod - take pictures for others or for myself​
I would use tripod if I want to be in the pictures.

I heard a Hassleblad is a very good camera, maybe you should get one for your Beijing trip!

Out of all the sarcasms,

A monopod is for people who handles with heavy lenses and body or holds their camera for a long time as it effectively takes away the weight. I.E Sports photographers as they handle with big lenses and needs the camera to be at their faces during the whole game and holding a 5kg equipment for 90 mins or more is gonna make you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.( Not saying it's a bad thing)

So for your trip to Beijing, it will be pretty much useless. A tripod would be more useful if you're planning to do long exposure.

I think this is the most accurate answer, but if you don't mind for the weight you can bring tripod and monopod as well like i do when travel. Normally, i'll use a monopod to take the weight with a combination of a DSLR + 70-200 F2.8 or something more heavier when i walk around(Street photog). And for landscape photog, i'll use tripod. if your combination is less than 2-2.5kg, i think monopod is useless for travel. Hope this helps you from choosing.

Last edited:
Theoretically you can use monopod in all circumstances and it does improve the stability of the camera.
However, practically, it is not necessary to use a monopod if you are not using heavy lenses. Heavy lenses are like EF 200 f/2L, EF 300f/2.8L, EF 400f/2.8L, EF 500f4L, etc (sorry I am a Canon user). The IS on smaller lenses should be effective enough for normal hand-held shooting. Using monopod to small lens set up might, instead, reduce the ease of use and restrict 'compositional' convenience. :)

If you know..mind to share?

There you go... answered in completeness by lamergod...

Out of all the sarcasms,

Just to add:

If your camera + lens is not super heavy, adding a monopod actually makes it more troublesome and heavier for you in the end.

And a monopod is to get slightly more stable handheld shots. It will not, in any way, replace what a tripod can do.

Last edited:
There you go... answered in completeness by lamergod...

Just to add:

If your camera + lens is not super heavy, adding a monopod actually makes it more troublesome and heavier for you in the end.

And a monopod is to get slightly more stable handheld shots. It will not, in any way, replace what a tripod can do.

I agree with daredevil123.:) Well, i came across some 2 in 1 tripods that users can detach one of the legs as a monopod. I've never used it before, but maybe other CSers that have can fill us in on this?;)

There is a store in SG that carries such products (came across this site in CS). I'm sure there are more places that carries this but i first saw this product here, just to share. :embrass:

http://www.artworkfoto.com/tripod.html

I agree with daredevil123.:) Well, i came across some 2 in 1 tripods that users can detach one of the legs as a monopod. I've never used it before, but maybe other CSers that have can fill us in on this?;)

There is a store in SG that carries such products (came across this site in CS). I'm sure there are more places that carries this but i first saw this product here, just to share. :embrass:

You gain functionality but you lose stability, combination tripods are not as stable as the regular ones, so its a give and take situation

if all you want is a monopod to take your own pic, try www.quikpod.com... its available for $55 in singapore via http://www.whoa-ho.com/quikpod.htm

although you may consider a tripod, set the camera on self-timer and sit in front of it to include yourself in the picture...

if all you want is a monopod to take your own pic, try www.quikpod.com... its available for $55 in singapore via http://www.whoa-ho.com/quikpod.htm

although you may consider a tripod, set the camera on self-timer and sit in front of it to include yourself in the picture...

OMG $50 for that thing??? Talk about being over priced.

Wah so expensive!! Artworkfoto selling a better version of this at only $20

It doesn't need to be super heavy or bulky to use a monopod.

I acquired a monopod purely for my field macro work where I shoot on the move and do not want to be hampered by a tripod and also require a little more stabilty than just my hands.

With a monopod, you can actually make it pretty stable with the correct holding posture as well as your stance. :)

Wah so expensive!! Artworkfoto selling a better version of this at only $20

NOTE. these are for PnS only. They can't take much weight. :)

It doesn't need to be super heavy or bulky to use a monopod.

I acquired a monopod purely for my field macro work where I shoot on the move and do not want to be hampered by a tripod and also require a little more stabilty than just my hands.

With a monopod, you can actually make it pretty stable with the correct holding posture as well as your stance. :)

Macro is a different story. TS did mention he wants to use it for travel (in beijing).

Macro is a different story. TS did mention he wants to use it for travel (in beijing).

And I'm trying to dispel the myth that a monopod is ONLY meant for heavy gears. :)

In his case, he'll do better with a good travel tripod (but the cost will not be cheap, esp for a good quality one)

if youre going to be in Beijing and IF you will be climbing difficult sections of the Great Wall , then I suggest just get a hiking stick with a removable head where you can attach a little ballhead and viola !!! monopod cum hiking stick in a MUCH lighter package

Last edited:
i have a Sirui N 1204. one of the legs can detach out as monopod. you might want to consider this.
for travel , i would suggest a tripod than a monopod. reason is simple. monopod can never perform what a tripod offers.
to climb great wall/hiking, use tripod as walking stick is good also.

Monopod will never be as functional as tripod and tripod will never be less bulkier as monopod(because of the extra feet :D), if for travel for example sometimes it's hard to take ur foto and the guys/girls u're traveling without asking some passerby for help and some might dun even know how to operate a PnS let alone a DSLR, or some mught just steal away ur DSLR :p so for travel purpose tripod is a must, at least to me..