Monopod

Status
Not open for further replies.
nikon said more shake is made because of the mirror slamming etc.. not sure too:)

aiya, both have their uses lah...just like wide angle and telephoto lens, if u die die want to go back a few steps with a telephoto, u can also argue its somehow like a wide angle.

Serious photographers that have progress to a lot of shooting experience will know that no 1 tripod is enough and no 1 monopod is enough also. Just like lenses like that. These are all technical devices that make your life better and to reach different level of shooting. Until u find the use of 1, u will never know what u have lost.

Like I got 1 nikon friend, he say he never need to use a tripod at all. I think what he meant is he only shoot subjects that doesn't require him to get 1 or nikon lenses technology allows him to do without 1. So depends on what u use and shoot, u may or may not need one.

shoot fireworks....monopod no use...but tripod is useful.....

space constrain....monopod very useful.....but tripod cannot be activated....

Apologies, but I disagree. Both are not necessary.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/sehsuan/fireworks/pages/9.html

Anyone got a picture of someone using a monopod?

http://www.sportsshooter.com/funpix_index.html

I intend to get a monopod.. Any good reccomendation? What is the price like? :)

I will be going oversea and want to travel light.

I will be bringing a trustie Nikon D100, 18-200VR lens and the SB800 flash. I doubt I got time to set up a tripod as I will be following a tour group and time is tight.

I may have to relied on the VR lens to compensate for shakes and so I wonder if a monopod should help if I want to shoot during evening (sunset), churches and some night lighted buildings ?

there is this monopod with 3 legs resting on the floor is call wat???

there is this monopod with 3 legs resting on the floor is call wat???

it is still called a monopod... it helps u to be more stable in using the monopod BUT dun ever think of placing ur lens and camera on it without ur hands supporting it and using it as a tripod... it will fall down...

u can always get a backpack size tripod for emergency uses such as low light and night photography. Many of the european cities have dazzling night views especially the very artistic and culture rich ones such as venice, Zurich, Lucerne, Milan, Munich, London, Madrid, Helsinki etc. U will only blame yourself for bringing less and having no time to shoot all of them...that's why I always prefer to travel by myself instead of travelling in a group.

If u are travelling light and tight, u can always get a photovest to help u organise, forget about bringing your clumzy camera bags along, they shout tourists and u irritate your tour mates because they know u gonna take a long time. I travel in tour groups whenever I bring my parents aboard and the most irritating people are the amateur photogs that don't organise their shooting gears and end up delaying the whole tour group.

Get a quick to setup monopod, I'm using a neotec after fumbling over many years with a gitzo. They work great in a matter of seconds. And if u shoot a lot with assisted flash, get your batteries handy. That's about all u need to experience.

PS : if u are bigger size, angmoh tour buses can wear photovest, if u are big size and in small tour buses, then u have to downsize all your zooms and your bodies liao because your photovest may not allow u to sit comfortably.

Are they selling, I havent seen such monopod before

it is still called a monopod... it helps u to be more stable in using the monopod BUT dun ever think of placing ur lens and camera on it without ur hands supporting it and using it as a tripod... it will fall down...

Is there a recommended small tripod that is good and strong and can at least fit into my Lowepro Omni Trekker? I bought one tripod (Kings) from John that uses the pin kind of lock (similar the police baton type) but is useless for a SLR and a len as there is no strong locking mechanism...that is why I am thinking of a monopod.

Are they selling, I havent seen such monopod before

hi, u can check this page for the specifications http://www.benro.cn/Product/3/pc2.html and this http://www.benro.cn/Product/3/mp91.html for a larger picture...

u can pm jack006 in this forum to get it. price wise i m not sure.

Manfrotto also have this kind of tripod, but u got to check it out with cathay photo if they have the stock at the moment.

Is there a recommended small tripod that is good and strong and can at least fit into my Lowepro Omni Trekker? I bought one tripod (Kings) from John that uses the pin kind of lock (similar the police baton type) but is useless for a SLR and a len as there is no strong locking mechanism...that is why I am thinking of a monopod.

mmm..ok wat is ur budget like, and wat is the setup that u are planning to hold on the tripod? i.e. what lens and camera n accessories eg. flash? not just those items tat u have now but items that u are highly likely to buy in the future eg. 600mm f/4

the tripod can be monopod also by not opening up its legs. it helps me a lot when shooting in a crowded spot. :)

Nice... I suppose others had thought the same way too... just wan to spent a bit more to lessen that few xxx grams of weight and look more presentable... Nothing wrong... It's personal preference...

I know manfrotto used to have that kind of monopod, frankly, I can't find a good use for it. Besides its not stable leaving it alone unless u r using a digicam, and the places u use them with are windless (which is highly unlikely in countries outside SG)

I still have my baton length gitzo think its 1126 about 7-8 years ago (gods know how long), it can hold up to 6kg but if u dun extend it and use a little common sense, it will work at a shorter height too. Its my backup tripod ever since I missed out sydney opera house night fireworks when I was there for a tour, all my ISO800 and f2.8 doesn't capture anything decent...so now the mono becames my walking stick and the tripod stays in my cam bag in case I need to make a dash back to the car to grab one.

Hmmm... Can invent a new covertible pod...

hi,

so what brand of tripod or monopod do you recommend??

chee kiang

Status
Not open for further replies.