Monopod

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernie1984

Apr 23, 2006
Hi, a noob here.. may i know whats a monopod used for? gt tripod alerady wat..wat for need monopod..where it has only 1 leg..balance meh?

adamadam

Feb 9, 2004
Perth
www.flickr.com
More compact, portable, easier to carry around.
I think of course it won't be as good as a tripod, but for situations with limited space where you are unable to set up a tripod, and moving around. Or for using with heavy lenses. :)

bahibo

Aug 6, 2006
monopod usually use for long tele, sometimes macro , not for real low light situation, shoot at night still need tripod but monopod easier to move around,fast,reduce some shaking and sometimes help if u use big and heavy lens that u can't hold with ur hand.

Maltese

Mar 21, 2005
Singapore
I swear by monopod and I will rather go without a tripod then a monopod.

A monopod in essense is your third leg...with your the other 2 leg u have a tripod already.

A monopod helps me to achieve a lot of space constraint, muscle aching, temperature soaring, height limiting as well as life threatening conditions.

I use them on convocations, performances where u are not the official photographer and need to confine to a place. How to use a tripod?

Also when u pan, u track or constantly be alert, where u rest your gear?

In very cold temperature where my 1 series metal alloy body freezes, I merely uses the monopod to hold them over my shoulders.

In hot temperature when my hands are sweating, the monopod also helps to stablise the body and lenses.

Also with a monopod u can push your camera up above crowds using your remote shutter release or wired cable to shoot.

And lastly whenever I go out at odd timings or unfamiliar places, my 2.5m monopod not only serves as my walking cane but as a pole for hitting robbers and weird looking foreigners.

Also, u are 10 times more likely to use a monopod than your tripod when weight is concern.

Don't leave home without it.

Witness

Mar 18, 2004
www.maverickatwork.com
i tink in a way it helps when u are taking images with v large lenses too...to minimize handshake and to ease the stress of carrying the lens around whist shooting..

ryuggen

Apr 5, 2006
Bukit Panjang
But how long can a monopod hold? In term of shutter speed? Does IS,SR,VR help?

jeanie

May 19, 2005
But how long can a monopod hold? In term of shutter speed? Does IS,SR,VR help?
it helps but someone told me to switch to 'ACTIVE' vr to counteract yawing(left right) movements since having a monopod will reduce updown shaking tremendously.

i do have a problem of keeping it still (from yawing movements):cry:

monopod also good as a self defence weapon if you are shooting you ulu countries.
but u must first watch and learn all jet li's shaolin stick moves.:bsmilie:
ok, JJ.

compro_1975

Apr 24, 2005
when you close all the legs of the tripod isn't is a monopod? buy 1 get 2 uses:cool:

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
it helps but someone told me to switch to 'ACTIVE' vr to counteract yawing(left right) movements since having a monopod will reduce updown shaking tremendously.

monopod also good as a self defence weapon if you are shooting you ulu countries.
ok, JJ.
For my type of shooting, the photo I take, I do not use monopod. Get a good lightweight carbon fiber tripod instead.

Monopod will never be anywhere near as steady as a tripod. However, if you are shooting sports, actions, and need a long lens, maybe, monopod is the way to go. For portraits, landscape, still life, macro, anything done in a studio, anytime you need to shoot something very far away, anytime you are using a very long lens, whenever you need longer exposure ... the best option is still a tripod.

ortega

Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
it is for just when you only need that little bit more support

a monopod cannot hold a camera motionless

so it depends on your use

ernie1984

Apr 23, 2006
so besides saving space.. u can also use it to hit ppl la haha:sweatsm:
ok thanks guys for the comments..

any good and cheap one <100 tt u guys recommend?

broccoli

Sep 21, 2006
shoot fireworks....monopod no use...but tripod is useful.....

space constrain....monopod very useful.....but tripod cannot be activated....

SO!!!! I have both!!!!

knpan

May 2, 2006
Singapore
figure out.

agility and mobility. reduce shake, many more

westwest1

Deregistered
Feb 25, 2006
@ AMK

ok, JJ.
but jeanie...

monopod will be good if you need to pan the camera around all the time for long duration...thus i feel that switching on VR not very usefully...as it counter your small movement required...

jeanie

May 19, 2005
but jeanie...

monopod will be good if you need to pan the camera around all the time for long duration...thus i feel that switching on VR not very usefully...as it counter your small movement required...
yes, panning, no.vr normal.
but to counteract yaw, vr active.
that's what i was told.:dunno:

Denosha

Dec 25, 2003
Bukit Timah
www.sgl.per.sg
I use my monopod more than my tripod. Great for nature, sports and macro. Depending on your technique, it should give you about 2-3 stops slower shutterspeeds. Combined with IS/VR there is some added advantage i feel but I can't quantify it as I've never really done any tests to "measure it".

dot1q

Sep 18, 2006
East of Singapore
the tripod can be monopod also by not opening up its legs. it helps me a lot when shooting in a crowded spot. :)

Rolldrum

Nov 29, 2006
JB
Anyone got a picture of someone using a monopod?

knpan

May 2, 2006
Singapore
Combined with IS/VR there is some added advantage i feel but I can't quantify it as I've never really done any tests to "measure it".
i think you are wrong. if u use VR/IS with tripod or mono pod, there would be more image blur than sharpness when especially very slow shutter speed. i experienced that. even the booklet says that. i was shooting at those concert hall, where lighitng is low, with ISO 1600, with the 80 - 400 f4.5 to 5.6, i could only go to about 1/40 to get the jusr right exposure, i switched on VR with that same shutter speed, thinking that the blur would be reduced, not instead more blur was created. Was on the monopod. I switched off the VR, and there was obvious the blur was less.

Denosha

Dec 25, 2003
Bukit Timah
www.sgl.per.sg
i think you are wrong. if u use VR/IS with tripod or mono pod, there would be more image blur than sharpness when especially very slow shutter speed. i experienced that. even the booklet says that. i was shooting at those concert hall, where lighitng is low, with ISO 1600, with the 80 - 400 f4.5 to 5.6, i could only go to about 1/40 to get the jusr right exposure, i switched on VR with that same shutter speed, thinking that the blur would be reduced, not instead more blur was created. Was on the monopod. I switched off the VR, and there was obvious the blur was less.
Hmm.. Nikon's VR tech is different then i guess.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&id=2646 - "With a monopod, the Image Stabilizer on all IS lenses operates normally as during hand-held shooting. Also, the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, and EF 600mm f/4L IS USM lenses have a mechanism that allows the Image Stabilizer to function properly while the lens is mounted on a tripod."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom