Monopod

weiz87

Jun 5, 2006
Hi guys. have an enquiry about monopod. how do i really use it? under what situation? night shots possible? does it work the same way as tripod?

Hi guys. have an enquiry about monopod. how do i really use it? under what situation? night shots possible? does it work the same way as tripod?

a monopod allows you to use slower shutter speeds by supporting your camera. But the situation depends on how slow you need to go. As it has only 1 leg, it doesn't support the camera by itself; rather uses the photographer to help steady the camera. That being said, it can still be prone to handshake when you do below a certain threshold.

It's still not as stable as tripod so i don't think you can use it for very slow shutter speed in night photography..

Last edited:
those monopod which look like mic stand? with the 3 legs for support. is it more stable? den those with 1 leg?

those monopod which look like mic stand? with the 3 legs for support. is it more stable? den those with 1 leg?

how about.. i ask you this.
Try standing on both legs..then try standing on 1 leg.
which one more stable?

no. get a tripod.

Those just allows it to stand on its own. When the wind blows, the monopod will still shake

the monopod is not meant for long exposures. it's meant for stabilizing the camera when used with long lenses, which the photographer can't hold in the hand steadily because of hand-shake.

other uses for it include steadying for a short duration of time in macro (a la Spree and Iguanavon)

or just to steady the camera.

even the one that looks like a mic stand is no where as stable as a tripod with 3 legs that can open wide. the wider the legs, the more stable it is.

Another secondary function of monopod is for self defense. Hit the person's head with it if he try to rob you....

As they said monopod is a way for extra support on top of the one given by the photographer. How to use it? Usually I will use my both legs as 2 legs of a tripod with monopod as the third leg.

It is useful at times when you do not need very slow shutter speed but need extra support under space constraint and easier to carry ard. E.g shoot sports using telephoto when it is hard to spread out legs of tripod.

Not sure what to get? Get those tripod with detachable legs to use as monopod.

I only use my monopod when using my telephoto lenses, typically >300mm.

My tripod is used for long exposures and still life studio work.

Monopod is useful for macro too.. and I am considering to get one !

small pig said:
Monopod is useful for macro too.. and I am considering to get one !

Combine it with a swivelable lcd and tilt/ball head, you can get some nice angles for macro :)