Monopod VS Tripod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

enivre

Nov 7, 2002
www.ervinelin.com
Hi,

If one were to choose, which one would be better? The monopod or the tripod? Sometimes I think the tripod is a bit too bulky to lug around...

What's ur take on this? So I can plan my next investment

Arm vs Leg

Car vs Van

Mobile Phone vs Cordless Phone

Instant Messanger vs Email

Slide vs Print

Earphones vs Headphones vs Speakers
etc.

You get the idea...

But for the same price u can get either a monopod or a tripod... quite weird right?

They can't replace each other, each have it specific use.

A monopod will NOT prevent camera shake. It will help the photographer to lighten the weight of the camera if the lens is a big lens.
You cannot shoot nite scene with monopod. It may not work well in low light.

Tripod is bulkier then monopod but the puspose it serve is to prevent hand shake and for those with super telephoto lens. and taking nite shot.

Hope it helps

I see I see...

So since a tripod can do what a monopod can do but not vice versa, might as well get a tripod... am I right to say that?

Of course the tripod would be bulkier..

That's great... thanks a lot..

Think I'll stick to a tripod first...

Originally posted by enivre
So since a tripod can do what a monopod can do but not vice versa, might as well get a tripod... am I right to say that?
Of course the tripod would be bulkier..
A tripod will definitely be better than a monopod given ideal conditions, but the fact is that there are times when we have to resort to monopods for reasons such as:
  • the place we're shooting at doesn't allow tripods (eg. museums)
  • there isn't enough space to set up a tripod (eg. in dense vegetation)
  • you need to be constantly on the move during the photo shoot (eg. sports photography)
  • and, of course, as you've mentioned, when we simply need to travel light
However, as has already been pointed out, monopods are not a replacement for tripods by any means, and should not be treated as such. In situations like night photography or long exposures, monopods will be totally inadequate. Pick your tools according to the task at hand.

But little legs make an unstable tripod right?
Sound like a good idea though...

Unstable, yes. But works well in a pinch. Note the swivelling head.

IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5701.JPG

IMG_5702.JPG

Looks good... but still I won't leave my camera standing by itself on that thing!! seems too unstable

If space constrain....y not just put the legs at a small angle....

Den it looks like a bit like a monopod....but works almost as good as a tripod.....(condition applies tho....:p dun compare with big teles lah)

For me sometimes i m too lazy i open the tripod's leg a little...n den hold the cam n shoot...still ok...

Of cos if ur cam is big or has big teles den it might be a diff case....other wise, shld be fine

Just dun exert too much pressure on the cam..will do

IMHO:embrass:

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Heh, my monopod has these little legs you can unscrew and use as a tripod. Real cool. Will take pictures of these and post in a short while.

not bad leh, how much did you pay for this monopod?
btw, what brand is it?
:)

Heh, my monopod has these little legs you can unscrew and use as a tripod. Real cool. Will take pictures of these and post in a short while.

transformer???:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think it's a good idea leh.. a Monopod that can "Transform" into a tripod... of course one more sturdy that the one above..

Originally posted by parn23

not bad leh, how much did you pay for this monopod?
btw, what brand is it?

Cullman, $60 new.

It's stable enough if you put the camera on it (with a small lens) and use either the self-timer or remote release to trigger it.

cool....
too bad i just got myself a slik U6600...no more $
maybe next timee...;)

Cullman, $60 new.

It's stable enough if you put the camera on it (with a small lens) and use either the self-timer or remote release to trigger it.

oic. Thanks, I will go & take a look on this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.