Monopod Question?


Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
897
0
0
North West
Visit site
#1
What is a good and cheap Monopod brand that you will recommend? and how much?

How does it work? like, how to fold it up? Can use for night shots for 2s exposure?
 

#3
Monopods are only helpful for not-too-long exposures, to help stabilize your camera/lens system, etc. It's not a substitute for a good stable tripod.

Our sifu Jed Wee has written an article on it's usage. You can read all about it below:-

http://www.asiaphoto.com/jed/030399mp.htm

Regards
CK
 

Lensman

New Member
Feb 12, 2002
903
0
0
47
Singapore & Hong Kong
#4
I use a Manfotto monopod. It's max height abt 1.8m, w/o camera. Comes in 2 stages for extension. The knobs can be allen-key tightened, should it become loose later.

Only 2 peeve about it :

there is no quick release mechcanism for it. The screew is direct from the monopod, hence I have buy a taiwanese made quick realease bracket for it.

the unfolded lenght is about 1 m (i think), cannot squeeze into the camera bag, unlike a Gitzo

I have to custom made a bag for it so that I can sling the whole thing when moving about.
 

#5
Originally posted by Lensman
I use a Manfotto monopod. It's max height abt 1.8m, w/o camera. Comes in 2 stages for extension. The knobs can be allen-key tightened, should it become loose later.

Only 2 peeve about it :

there is no quick release mechcanism for it. The screew is direct from the monopod, hence I have buy a taiwanese made quick realease bracket for it.

the unfolded lenght is about 1 m (i think), cannot squeeze into the camera bag, unlike a Gitzo

I have to custom made a bag for it so that I can sling the whole thing when moving about.
Actually, you are supposed to get a ballhead for it. The ballhead will then have its own quick release plate. ;)

Regards
CK
 

Jed

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
3,911
0
0
UK
Visit site
#6
Originally posted by ckiang


Actually, you are supposed to get a ballhead for it. The ballhead will then have its own quick release plate. ;)

Regards
CK
That's VERY good advice. Wonder where you got that from? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Seriously, not necessarily a ball head, in fact, a head that allows movement in only one plane is actually preferable.
 

#7
Originally posted by Jed


That's VERY good advice. Wonder where you got that from? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Seriously, not necessarily a ball head, in fact, a head that allows movement in only one plane is actually preferable.
I figured it wouldn't do much good if the camera is fixed in one position and can't pan/tilt/etc. ;)

And a 3 way head is too fiddly.

Hey Jed, maybe you can show us a pic of your monopod technique. Rather difficult to visualize from the article. Heck, should have taken a pic when you showed Red Dawn and myself the other time. :p

Regards
CK
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom