Monochrome Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaper3075

Jul 13, 2007
Jurong West
emuted.multiply.com
been fascinated with monochrome images recently, thought i try one out with this abandoned building at Labrador..

2-1.jpg

seems like turning a picture into black and white is not as easy as desaturating it..

therefore, would like some critiques mainly on the mono post processing so i can do better.

some info on the image - taken at 22mm f11, 1/8s, ISO1000 at about 7pm. PP done in CS2, adjusted the levels, curves and added some noise.

Hi,
I really like it...i'm fascinated with monochrome images too...this picture gave me a feel of desolation and despair...
Hope to see some more :)

'curves and added some noise', good one. Maybe you shld just make it
to a higher iso and make a natural one rather than add em. I really like it
anyways. :)

or maybe you could try and hide in those bushes and create a kind of
sneaky worms eyeview kind of picture. hahhaha.

Um...adding noise in post gives you the option of a noiseless image as your final product, or one with a little noise. The whole point of adding noise in post is so that you have control over how dense the noise is in your final product; it's a failsafe, so to speak.

...and how does this pertain to improving monochrome images?

any higher the ISO on my cam, the NR will kick in.. anyways adding noise through PP gives me the option and time to choose how much noise I want to effect in.

sneak in the bushes? u mean with some blurred grass in the foreground ? haha thats an idea.. but the gate was locked.. shot this through a gate.

thanks for the comments btw :)

Um...adding noise in post gives you the option of a noiseless image as your final product, or one with a little noise. The whole point of adding noise in post is so that you have control over how dense the noise is in your final product; it's a failsafe, so to speak.

...and how does this pertain to improving monochrome images?

thanks for viewing bro.. appreciated all comments whether its on the composition or post processing :)

thanks for viewing bro.. appreciated all comments whether its on the composition or post processing :)

Most welcome bro. Glad you also realised that it was a "safe" method to add noise through PP rather than at the point of shooting.

I've only got minor grievances with the converging verticals (vertical lines slanting to the center of the frame). You'll get that as long as your camera is not parallel to the verticals. However, given the fact that you are shooting through a gate, you are quite limited for options so it's a tough call.

any higher the ISO on my cam, the NR will kick in.. anyways adding noise through PP gives me the option and time to choose how much noise I want to effect in.

sneak in the bushes? u mean with some blurred grass in the foreground ? haha thats an idea.. but the gate was locked.. shot this through a gate.

thanks for the comments btw :)

Status
Not open for further replies.