Monks allowed Credit Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dovedo

Aug 31, 2005
On the Thursday April 16, 2009 edition of the Straits Times newspaper in the Home section, it was reported that the Ren CI Founder, Ming Yi had credit cards and had given supplementary credit cards to at least 3 other people.

My question is that are monks allowed to have credit cards legally and morally(as according to buddhist beliefs) in Singapore and in other parts of the world? And are they allowed to give away supplementary credit cards? Cause this is the first time I have ever heard of a monk carrying a credit card!:eek:

monks are people too, you know.

if mother theresa had a credit card, i won't begrudge her that.

If Monks can drive big cars, I don't see why they cannot hold a credit card. Afterall, if he meets the minimum requirement to apply for a credit card the Banks will gladly approve the card and I believe he is not the only monk/priest who owns credit cards.

Politically/Religiously Sensitive thread spotted...

Anyway, different viewpoints...

Monks & Priest are diff... they have different perception towards their conviction to their various god.

1 thing to note thou, Monks is eased from their material needs, hence the argument about them having credit cards. Should they be holding things of 'material' substance, is in regards to most is kinda breach of the norm.

But then again, there are many faculty of Buddhism that may have different guidelines to their material needs and their purpose. To some, monks cannot have a mobile phone, to some, its a necessity for them as the monks need a point of contact...

If Monks can drive big cars, I don't see why they cannot hold a credit card. Afterall, if he meets the minimum requirement to apply for a credit card the Banks will gladly approve the card and I believe he is not the only monk/priest who owns credit cards.

In Singapore, you need to earn at least S$2500 for most credit cards with the exception of certain credit cards that have a $500 limit and that is either you are serving in the military, student, or earn at least S$1800 for manhatten credit card, or drawing a salary.

The Ren Ci founder is in neither one of the above category since he does not draw a salary. So how is he allowed to have a credit card and who pays for his bills?

In Singapore, you need to earn at least S$2500 for most credit cards with the exception of certain credit cards that have a $500 limit and that is either you are serving in the military, student, or earn at least S$1800 for manhatten credit card, or drawing a salary.

The Ren Ci founder is in neither one of the above category since he does not draw a salary. So how is he allowed to have a credit card and who pays for his bills?

I heard that monks do have salary and there is a thing called secured credit card too.

1 thing to note thou, Monks is eased from their material needs, hence the argument about them having credit cards. Should they be holding things of 'material' substance, is in regards to most is kinda breach of the norm.

well, times are changing..

we can point out so many breaches in the norm.... :(

Traditional, in the past, monks are not allowed to have any forms of luxuries with them. That means to live in simplicity and follow Buddha's teaching strictly. They are strictly vegetarians who eat only a meal per day. They are not supposed to have any lustful thoughts and engaged in any inmoral activities. They are not supposed to cause harm to any other ppl and living things. They are to practise scripture reciting every morning and evening before they sleep.

However, as the society progress, you do find monks having all sorts of luxuries products. I have noticed that mainly monks of seniority status. Occassionally, I do see monks driving cars like Mercedes, BMWs... Saw a few times monks buying IT products such as computers, handphones and cameras at Funan and Sim Lim Sq. I know some ppl will rebuke me for saying monks have this monks have that, but as a Buddhist myself, its a disturbing sights to see monks carrying all these luxuries. I do not question their faith, but maybe as our society progresses, its a 'norm' for them just like primary school students may bring handphones to school.

In poorer countries in SEA, you can still see in these countries, monks of Laos, Thailand, Vietnam do not have such novelites. As a matter of fact, they are still practising Buddhism the way it passes down. They will walk to their destinations barefooted, collecting alms while praying for the alms givers, have a single meal per day... etc.

A different culture maybe. Anyway, to each his own, we are in no position to say others. Just let them live their way they see dim fit as long as they dont cause harm to others. Just my 2 cents...

Traditional, in the past, monks are not allowed to have any forms of luxuries with them. That means to live in simplicity and follow Buddha's teaching strictly. They are strictly vegetarians who eat only a meal per day. They are not supposed to have any lustful thoughts and engaged in any inmoral activities. They are not supposed to cause harm to any other ppl and living things. They are to practise scripture reciting every morning and evening before they sleep.

However, as the society progress, you do find monks having all sorts of luxuries products. I have noticed that mainly monks of seniority status. Occassionally, I do see monks driving cars like Mercedes, BMWs... Saw a few times monks buying IT products such as computers, handphones and cameras at Funan and Sim Lim Sq. I know some ppl will rebuke me for saying monks have this monks have that, but as a Buddhist myself, its a disturbing sights to see monks carrying all these luxuries. I do not question their faith, but maybe as our society progresses, its a 'norm' for them just like primary school students may bring handphones to school.

In poorer countries in SEA, you can still see in these countries, monks of Laos, Thailand, Vietnam do not have such novelites. As a matter of fact, they are still practising Buddhism the way it passes down. They will walk to their destinations barefooted, collecting alms while praying for the alms givers, have a single meal per day... etc.

A different culture maybe. Anyway, to each his own, we are in no position to say others. Just let them live their way they see dim fit as long as they dont cause harm to others. Just my 2 cents...

I totally agree with you bro.

That's why there is checks and balances...

There isn't so many mountains or deep forest for monks to attain enlightenment thru fruits and stream water anymore...

the highest attainment of enlightenment is to be had where there is the highest intrusion of temptations. if one can abstain from lustful thinking in the company of lustful women, he is enlightened. if one can abstain from material want in the midst of wealth, he is enlightened. heck, if a monk can stay a monk in the middle of Sin City, thats wat i call a monk.

in this ren ci case, i wouldn't call that guy a monk for the simple reason that he fails this test of materialism.

a monk who drive? a merc somemore? pardon me, but to me that is hypocrisy at the highest level. a monk who buys computers? wat needs he for a computer? he need to log on to enlightenment.com meh?

i appologize if i sounded provocative, but where i come from, we give monks what they need, and more often than not, they refused many of our offerings. other than a simple meal, they wouldn't even touch money i gave them to buy meal for themselves. that, is a monk.

Last edited:
I heard that monks do have salary and there is a thing called secured credit card too.

According to the Straits Times Reports in the past week and declaration to Inland Revenue, he is not receiving a salary so something is wrong somewhere right?:think:

Secured credit cards esp supplementary credit cards in this case became unsecured:rolleyes:

According to the Straits Times Reports in the past week and declaration to Inland Revenue, he is not receiving a salary so something is wrong somewhere right?:think:

Secured credit cards esp supplementary credit cards in this case became unsecured:rolleyes:

Supp cards share the same credit limit as the main card so it's still secured.

That means to live in simplicity and follow Buddha's teaching strictly. They are strictly vegetarians who eat only a meal per day. ...

I believe only the monks from the Mahayana schools practise vegetarians. Those from the Theravada school scan eat meat they obtain from alms. They can't ask or choose the kind of meat.

the highest attainment of enlightenment is to be had where there is the highest intrusion of temptations. if one can abstain from lustful thinking in the company of lustful women, he is enlightened. if one can abstain from material want in the midst of wealth, he is enlightened. heck, if a monk can stay a monk in the middle of Sin City, thats wat i call a monk.

in this ren ci case, i wouldn't call that guy a monk for the simple reason that he fails this test of materialism.

a monk who drive? a merc somemore? pardon me, but to me that is hypocrisy at the highest level. a monk who buys computers? wat needs he for a computer? he need to log on to enlightenment.com meh?

i appologize if i sounded provocative, but where i come from, we give monks what they need, and more often than not, they refused many of our offerings. other than a simple meal, they wouldn't even touch money i gave them to buy meal for themselves. that, is a monk.

U gotta be joking rite...

So u're saying that if a monk need to be enlightened, he have to go to a niteclub and do nothing?

From what i know... in sg, most monks are from overseas, hence have work permit... temple have to pay for their levy and such... but i think they shouldn't be 'counting money' as its mostly donations they are given...

Status
Not open for further replies.