Monks allowed Credit Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U gotta be joking rite...

So u're saying that if a monk need to be enlightened, he have to go to a niteclub and do nothing?

From what i know... in sg, most monks are from overseas, hence have work permit... temple have to pay for their levy and such... but i think they shouldn't be 'counting money' as its mostly donations they are given...

oh no no no no! gawd no! hahah. i meant that even if u force him into the situation, his mind and thinking wouldn't stray.

here's another mind blowing stuff. if u point a gun at his head, he wouldn;t even consider defending himself coz tho him (at least a real monk), there is no death. just the beginning to a new life towards nirvana.

yeah, i know, then the warrior monks of shao lin temple how some might ask. that one, i donno lor. umm...to protect the weak?

a monk who drive? a merc somemore? pardon me, but to me that is hypocrisy at the highest level. a monk who buys computers? wat needs he for a computer? he need to log on to enlightenment.com meh?

i appologize if i sounded provocative, but where i come from, we give monks what they need, and more often than not, they refused many of our offerings. other than a simple meal, they wouldn't even touch money i gave them to buy meal for themselves. that, is a monk.

Maybe from where you come, monks still practise the way what have been done since the founding of Buddhism. But in Singapore, sadly, its not the case for some particular group of so-called ''Enlightened Monks''. Anyway, those that I saw might be ''Dark Horses'' of the monks community. There are good ones too. There is a balance to all.

I am not trying to provote anyone. Those thing I said earlier were facts that I saw with my own eyes? Just go down to SLS or Funan you will find some if you are lucky to see them. I think fellow CSers who visits IT malls often will have a glimpse of them shopping for all these stuffs. Purchase those things for what I dont know. Maybe driving a Mercs or BM to impress clients he is really 'something good' that why he could afford. But sadly, in some eyes, its not. Its breaking of a code of conduct that has been laid down for thousands of years.

Cheers

My question is that are monks allowed to have credit cards legally and morally(as according to buddhist beliefs) in Singapore and in other parts of the world? And are they allowed to give away supplementary credit cards? Cause this is the first time I have ever heard of a monk carrying a credit card!:eek:
bro .... this is common sense.
anyone can have credit cards as long as any issuing banks want to issue to him .... as in, if there is a God, he too can have one legally and morally ...:dunno:

bro .... this is common sense.
anyone can have credit cards as long as any issuing banks want to issue to him .... as in, if there is a God, he too can have one legally and morally ...:dunno:

Please read the entire thread first before commenting. This is not so simple, just read that in Singapore, issuance of credit cards is subjected to MAS regulations which means you must earn a min income, unless u are student, nsf(which means u get only up to S$500 limit). That being said, he cannot legally get a credit card as a principal card holder since he is not drawing any salary.:sticktong

Last edited:
Please read the entire thread first before commenting. This is not so simple, just read that in Singapore, issuance of credit cards is subjected to MAS regulations which means you must earn a min income, unless u are student, nsf(which means u get only up to S$500 limit). That being said, he cannot legally get a credit card as a principal card holder since he is not drawing any salary.:sticktong
its possible that the credit card belongs to the temple (company credit card)......I agree that there is nothing wrong with Monks/temples having PC's and/or handphones.

But I personally would draw the line with having cash, as it may distract them. This is just to prevent things from happening (as this case has shown), better to avoid it. This monk had, as I understood it, a salary from his job as a CEO of the hospital (not from him being a monk)......I am not sure though if he get to keep the salary or whether it goes to the temple? What I couldn't understand either is that he could in fact decide what his salary would be, which wasn't allowed officially, but it was in practice done that way.

HS

Maybe from where you come, monks still practise the way what have been done since the founding of Buddhism. But in Singapore, sadly, its not the case for some particular group of so-called ''Enlightened Monks''. Anyway, those that I saw might be ''Dark Horses'' of the monks community. There are good ones too. There is a balance to all.

I am not trying to provote anyone. Those thing I said earlier were facts that I saw with my own eyes? Just go down to SLS or Funan you will find some if you are lucky to see them. I think fellow CSers who visits IT malls often will have a glimpse of them shopping for all these stuffs. Purchase those things for what I dont know. Maybe driving a Mercs or BM to impress clients he is really 'something good' that why he could afford. But sadly, in some eyes, its not. Its breaking of a code of conduct that has been laid down for thousands of years.

Cheers
The computers may have been purchased for the temple, they also need to learn these things, and can get more info on what the world is about. Being a monk doesn't mean to close yourself up from the world forever, this is a misconception.

Driving a big car, this one I don't understand either, perhaps its from the temple too? If personal, then I think something is not good somewhere, at least choose a common brand like Daihatsu lah! :bsmilie:

HS

A True Monk/Nun is supposed to be renounced from the material world.

Meaning they no need Mobile, Cash, Cars, Credits Cards, Condo etc..... whatsoever material forms.

That is their very basics of cultivation and practise (Comfort, $$$, lust, booze...etc...) a test to see if he/she can really renounce the material world and if he/she who decided to renounce the world but succumb to material needs they must well leave the Ordain, dun leave a bad name, thats no difference to me.
Meaning they are ordinary folks with a job as a monk/nun.

It is a disaster to see it become a Career!:(

Being a monk is all about personal cultivation, morals and practise of Buddism ie followings Buddha's path way of teachings!

Personal cultivation is changing ones character etc.... A sad thing that changing ones character is being associated with $$$.

Very sad but true.:cry:

Meaning they no need Mobile, Cash, Cars, Credits Cards, Condo etc..... whatsoever material forms.

That is their very basics of cultivation and practise (Comfort, $$$, lust, booze...etc...) a test to see if he/she can really renounce the material world and if he/she who decided to renounce the world but succumb to material needs they must well leave the Ordain, dun leave a bad name, thats no difference to me.

Being a monk is all about personal cultivation, morals and practise of Buddism ie followings Buddha's path way of teachings!

Personal cultivation is changing ones character etc.... A sad thing that changing ones character is being associated with $$$.

Not just a test, but its to avoid of being distracted. Its about controlling the mind, and since many people that go into monkhood are having different levels of mental development, it is better not too have many distractions, but this doesn't mean one have to go to a cave all their life, cause there are benefits too from using phones or computers.....I haven't seen any benefits though from drinking alcohol :bsmilie:

Melvin, when u wanna go be a monk? :bsmilie:

btw, should we probably think in line that, monks & nuns are bankrupts? Since nothing belongs to them, they got no material needs. Then everything given is a donation...

In Singapore, you need to earn at least S$2500 for most credit cards with the exception of certain credit cards that have a $500 limit and that is either you are serving in the military, student, or earn at least S$1800 for manhatten credit card, or drawing a salary.

The Ren Ci founder is in neither one of the above category since he does not draw a salary. So how is he allowed to have a credit card and who pays for his bills?

I heard that monks do have salary and there is a thing called secured credit card too.

I thought the newspaper said the monk's salary is $16K or something?

I think his relationship with the aide is a bit suspicious...

Melvin, when u wanna go be a monk? :bsmilie:

btw, should we probably think in line that, monks & nuns are bankrupts? Since nothing belongs to them, they got no material needs. Then everything given is a donation...

Waiting for u!;p

Not just a test, but its to avoid of being distracted. Its about controlling the mind, and since many people that go into monkhood are having different levels of mental development, it is better not too have many distractions, but this doesn't mean one have to go to a cave all their life, cause there are benefits too from using phones or computers.....I haven't seen any benefits though from drinking alcohol :bsmilie:

There are benefits but do they really need benefits?:think:
Not saying they must completely cut off but to a certain extend and limitation maybe a handphone or 2 for the whole temple, 1 or 2 Cumpters for the temple maybe to keep tracks of donations, sciptures, etc.... Not to Abuse like almost everyone have Hp n Laptops! It is a great difference!

Just like in the past monks/nuns are to go and beg for alms in the morning n only to 7 seven house if 7 house no food then it will be no food for the rest of the day! And food Consumtion is only before noon. No meals after that but now times have changed!

having a credit card does not equate to spending $$$ mindlessly, unless thatz wad most here do... :think:

religious organisations are no paupers, not in $ingapore lah. besides its rather common for a enigmatic individual to fly in from another country to spread its mission. :sweatsm:

$ingapore dun encourage begging $$ on the streets! :nono:

Last edited:
On the Thursday April 16, 2009 edition of the Straits Times newspaper in the Home section, it was reported that the Ren CI Founder, Ming Yi had credit cards and had given supplementary credit cards to at least 3 other people.

My question is that are monks allowed to have credit cards legally and morally(as according to buddhist beliefs) in Singapore and in other parts of the world? And are they allowed to give away supplementary credit cards? Cause this is the first time I have ever heard of a monk carrying a credit card!:eek:

You expect them to always carry an empty rice bowl when going out? :)

On the Thursday April 16, 2009 edition of the Straits Times newspaper in the Home section, it was reported that the Ren CI Founder, Ming Yi had credit cards and had given supplementary credit cards to at least 3 other people.

MAS regulations did not state that monks or nuns are not allowed to carry credit card. There is no discrimination against different career / field of interest as long you meet the stipulated requirements. Ming Yi is drawing a salary (according to reported media).

Neither did the teaching / Dhamma say anything about that (credit card).

And , this is not the first time a monk carries a credit card. Neither will this be the last.

Last edited:

Monk is just a robe if that is a concept (of a monk). Personal cultivation can be done regardless of status.

Likewise , monk having car , cash does not mean he/she is not cultivating. Etc. Even if a monk or any person who is poor , but mentally addicted to the attachment of money , credit card , being in the position of a power bears very little resemblance to his / her cultivation of self awareness (of realization). Vice versa , if a monk / persons , who has such wealth and power , but bears no addition to such desire and brings value to oneself and others , is itself a cultivation (and realization to self-awareness).

Material wealth itself is not harmful - it is just the state of mind (intention) per se , be it any status (monk/nun/person).

Status
Not open for further replies.