Monitor or Calibrator?

Khair76

Apr 8, 2006
Pasir Ris
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

Just wanna ask around what are your thoughts on this.
I'm using a 19" samsung lcd monitor at the moment.
I believe it's about at least 8yrs old, couldn't really remember lah.

I mainly use for photo editing(personal photos) and 3D CAD(work).

Option 1
Get new ips monitor, say the Dell U2413/2713H. Appearance wise, these monitors look dull but I like matte screen.
Reason for choosing these 2 is because I wanna fully utilise my video card capability(Nvidia Quadro fx 4800).
I'm still open to other models too but so far these 2 falls within my budget and with specs that I like(arrive with factory calibrated, 1 billion color depth, display port, usb 3.0)
My old monitor will then be used to extend my laptop screen.

Option 2
Get a calibrator, say the Spyder4
Calibrate my old monitor and use it till EOL.
Also I can calibrate my laptop and office monitor so I can get good color consistancy.
Thus not limiting my phto editing to 1 monitor only.

At this point, I'm leaning more towards getting the calibrator.
Would love to hear your 2cents on this.

Thanx & Regs,
Khai

Even if you get a new monitor you still need to calibrate. Even though the colors are pretty close to accurate out of the box, you still need consisyent calibration.

Just a note. Most monitors sold off the shelves are not really flexible in adjusting finer details like colour temperature, gamma values, refresh rate. Perhaps the graphics card may still be able to adjust.

Also, the backlight of your 8yr old monitor may have start to become yellowish, so no amount of adjustment can correct this unwanted cast.

U will still need calibrator to get more accurate colour setting etc. So I think u will need both.
If budget a issue, maybe get the calibrator 1st follow by new monitor.

Thanx daredevil123 & unclejosh for your inputs.

Just a note. Most monitors sold off the shelves are not really flexible in adjusting finer details like colour temperature, gamma values, refresh rate. Perhaps the graphics card may still be able to adjust.

Also, the backlight of your 8yr old monitor may have start to become yellowish, so no amount of adjustment can correct this unwanted cast.

I was also thinking abt the backlight condition of my monitor. Donno if there's any way to detect for monitor deterioration. Thanx!

U will still need calibrator to get more accurate colour setting etc. So I think u will need both.
If budget a issue, maybe get the calibrator 1st follow by new monitor.

May do this also. Calibrator first then monitor at a later time. Thanx!

I'm using the 2713, and the factory caliberation is not really that accurate. Can see major diff after spyder.

I'm using the 2713, and the factory caliberation is not really that accurate. Can see major diff after spyder.

Thanx for the feedback bro. I will take note of this.
Looks like I will most prob have to get the spyder first.