Monitor Calibration

Which calibrator would you recommend more, considering the price as well?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thanks for the tip! Never occurred to me to ask for their settings! :p

if you go to neighbour printing labs asking them for setting, they won't able to tell you, cause the don't have such knowledge.

the best you can do is ask them to remember YOUR FACE and YOUR PREFERENCE.

Last edited:
I prefer the Spyder4 Elite.... just more options and I use it on one monitor and to MAC Laptops...

I thought that Mac (pros and desktops) don't need screen calibration due to their retina display, Apples desktop publishing claim, etc, etc.

Calibrating your screen does not mean your print is going to be perfect. It just makes editing easier and consistent and it's only the first step to a color managed workflow and this is where most hobbyist stop.

I agree on this..

I thought that Mac (pros and desktops) don't need screen calibration due to their retina display, Apples desktop publishing claim, etc, etc.
Every screen comes with a default calibration and it will age. The default is easily thrown off by some clicks and the colour reproduction of the entire system (graphics card, cable, monitor) can be affected by many other factors as well. Calibration will offset all these factor and can even consider ambient light in the room to make sure that the screen shows what is digitally encoded. Even the most expensive car's tires need regular pressure checks.

And is it safe to say they last forever?
I'm still using my Eyeone Display w/o ambient calculations.

Any reason to upgrade to newer device?

And is it safe to say they last forever?
I'm still using my Eyeone Display w/o ambient calculations.
Any reason to upgrade to newer device?
Nothing lasts forever. Also the calibration devices will age. [Assume ON] But they age slower than a display that gets used and heated up daily. [Assume OFF]
Older devices might not work with all newer display technologies. Spider2 devices have known issues with some newer backlight LED displays.

I have a Spyder 3 Elite and would go for the Colormunki Photo for its capability to calibrate printer as well.

Want to buy my Spyder 3?

Anyone of you tried it on dual screen? Not sure if I have done it wrongly. The colors on both screens are slightly different. Color changes when I drag the image from 1 LCD to the other.

Anyone of you tried it on dual screen? Not sure if I have done it wrongly. The colors on both screens are slightly different. Color changes when I drag the image from 1 LCD to the other.
Two screens need two profiles and two graphics cards. You cannot load two profiles into the same graphics card.

Two screens need two profiles and two graphics cards. You cannot load two profiles into the same graphics card.

Nope. just 1 graphics card can support 2 screens with their individual profiles. Just drag the calibration program window to the screen you want to profile

Nope. just 1 graphics card can support 2 screens with their individual profiles. Just drag the calibration program window to the screen you want to profile
Ok, then my knowledge seems to be dated. During times of Spyder 3 it was not possible, because two different profiles could not be loaded at the same time. If newer drivers can do that now then it's better. I use two graphics cards, one profile each.

Is there a local dealer for colormunki? Or must indent from USA ?

Is this Spyder gadget a plug & play calibration or you need to adjust each setting manually during the calibraton process?
Thank in advance.

I am using Spyder4pro, bought from Cathay Photo at $170.

I seem to face the problem of red tinge on all my screens after calibration. Does anybody out there face the same problem??

What about the monitor being very dim and less vibrant after calibration. Anyone have that 'issue'? Or is that a necessity?

Thanks!

What about the monitor being very dim and less vibrant after calibration. Anyone have that 'issue'? Or is that a necessity?

Thanks!

It just means that your monitor was set up to look "shiok shiok" for showroom/movies/gaming but was actually inaccurate for photo work.