Monitor Calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Jan 17, 2002
east side
Is it worth buying a monitor calibrating hardware if ur monitor is like 4-5yrs old already?
cos right now my black colour on my crt monitor has a reddish glow when i look at it. i had to play around with the brightness and all just to view it.

Let say for example, based on my current monitor age, is it still possible to calibrate it to look the same as how an lcd monitor would look once the lcd monitor is calibrated?

My current Sony is 9 yrs old. (1995/96).

There is a difference before & after calibration still. And yes, my LCD and CRT does match when comparing the same image.

I do remember however, John Cosgrove once mentioned during the Epson Print Academy seminar that if a CRT is over 3yrs old, it's no longer good enough and it's time to replace. :)

Expensive - Eyeone Publish - $3k+... heehee...

You spend so much effort & $$ on photography, don't process your images without calibrating... :devil:

Hi,

I usually send for print rather than using my own printer. Do I need this calibration device?

Why not? What you see on your monitor might not be what your lab printer sees on theirs. Calibration is sort of like an ISO standard, once everybody is 'standardised' everybody has the same thing.

Even printers need calibration too! :)

where can i get my laptop LCD calibrated, without buying the calibration tools? i will pay for the service, of course. i can't seem to get any details from the highlights, they are all blown out :( (the details are there, just that i can't see them)

tried playing around with the screen's basic settings like gamma, brightness etc, but the end result looks horrible

Stereobox said:
where can i get my laptop LCD calibrated, without buying the calibration tools? i will pay for the service, of course. i can't seem to get any details from the highlights, they are all blown out :( (the details are there, just that i can't see them)

tried playing around with the screen's basic settings like gamma, brightness etc, but the end result looks horrible

In the long run, it makes more sense to buy your own calibrator, as the recommended frequency of calibration ranges from at least once a week to once a month. Depending on how much these services costs, it could be more economical to get your own.

I'm also waiting to get my own unit... sian, the buying never ends, does it? :cry:

i asked a friend to help me calibrate my monitor, although theres a slight difference in colour now but...is that all...
at the back of my head i was expecting a "WOW" effect but i guess i had set too high an expectation for it...

any other ways i get more out of a calibrated monitor? was wondering if he did it properly or not.

eadwine said:
i asked a friend to help me calibrate my monitor, although theres a slight difference in colour now but...is that all...
at the back of my head i was expecting a "WOW" effect but i guess i had set too high an expectation for it...

any other ways i get more out of a calibrated monitor? was wondering if he did it properly or not.

depends on your monitor

for me, I use easy mode if the monitor cannot let u do any adjustment

if your monitor let u adjust RGB value, use advance mode should be more accurate

btw, how u all calibrate the eye-one? using white card or just a plain A4 paper? wonder if it will make any different...

may be your monitor colour is quite accurate, so it dun make much differnet to u....i tried calibrate my apple display and there was no differnet too. On the other hand, one of my LCD monitor colour was way out, after calibrate it was so much better.

on another LCD monitor that I have...i used to had a hard time to play with the RGB, brightness and contrast to get the colour that i am comfortable with. but now with eye-one...after a few minutes and the calibration is done..and i am more confident with its colour now when i compare with the apple display as reference

Wai said:
depends on your monitor

for me, I use easy mode if the monitor cannot let u do any adjustment

if your monitor let u adjust RGB value, use advance mode should be more accurate

btw, how u all calibrate the eye-one? using white card or just a plain A4 paper? wonder if it will make any different...

may be your monitor colour is quite accurate, so it dun make much differnet to u....i tried calibrate my apple display and there was no differnet too. On the other hand, one of my LCD monitor colour was way out, after calibrate it was so much better.

on another LCD monitor that I have...i used to had a hard time to play with the RGB, brightness and contrast to get the colour that i am comfortable with. but now with eye-one...after a few minutes and the calibration is done..and i am more confident with its colour now when i compare with the apple display as reference

dun get what u mean about calibrating the eye one with white card and stuff though..?
thought just install s/w, place eyeone display and click? am i right?

eadwine said:
dun get what u mean about calibrating the eye one with white card and stuff though..?
thought just install s/w, place eyeone display and click? am i right?

then probably you have missed out one step...

Wai said:
then probably you have missed out one step...

hmm did the small piece of instruction show us how, shall go read again ..

me using eye one display 2 by the way, and it doesnt seem possible to calibrate 2 monitors linked from the same video card is there??
my lcd and crt displays still look slightly different though

Wai said:

i saw somewhere either in quick start instructions or the tutorial. place on black matt surface and calibrate.

madmacs said:
i saw somewhere either in quick start instructions or the tutorial. place on black matt surface and calibrate.

thats weird, for eye one display 2, the quick start didnt mention anything about placin it on black matt surface.... is urs an eye one display 2 set?

doesn't matter what colour surface you put on, as long as it is flat
cos the foam will block out any ambient light so anything the sensor sees will be pitch black

Status
Not open for further replies.